Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

*istD or *istDL2

I purchased both an *istD and an *istDL2 camera a few months ago. At first I felt the added features on the DL2 outweighed the advantages of the D, but after playing with them I am happy with the results from both. The SD ram in the DL2 is in more common use with other cameras and PDA's I own and reportedly it is faster than the CF ram used in the D but it doesn't 'feel' that way to me. The usb2 on the DL2 is also faster than the USB1 on the D but I find that I most always put the memory in a card reader anyway so that is a non issue. The pentaprism over the pentamirror is not something I see with my eyes so I cant say one way or the other on that.
I would like to here others opinions on this and welcome your input.

Thanks
Mike

09-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The *istD does have some advanced features that the DL2 doesn't have, but since the DL is a few years older, it naturally has the advantages you listed above, including USB2, SD support, and a larger screen.

One of the main things that the *ist D boasts over all the other Pentax DSLRs is full TTL flash support. While the DS and DS2 partially support TTL, the *ist D even supports it with the on-board flash, meaning. The D also has several external buttons (similar to those of the K10D) whose functions have been moved into the menu on the *istDL.

There are a few other minor differences, but the D and DL2 are definitely not as similar as, for instance, the K100D and K110D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: