Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #46
Veteran Member

In my opinion you can split this up on the following levels:

Photography level terms:

Amateur Photographers - don't sell images
Serious Amateur Photographers - almost pro like quality shots, don't sell images
Semi-Pro Photographers - make a part time living from selling images (landscape or wedding)
Professional Photographers - full time living from selling images

However, it's hard to pigeon hole DSLRs the same way. For example, a Pro could use a "non pro" body (like a K-x) and still probably sell the image in much the same way as if it had been taken with a Canon EOS 1D Mk IV. However, someone who is totally new to photography using a Canon EOS 1D Mk IV is not suddenly catapulted to a professional photographer simply because they used a "pro" body!

I do agree with the comments about the after sales support by being a member of the pro network - that is something that you simply wouldn't get with certain cameras and camera manufacturers, but as already said that doesn't automatically come with the camera body.

It's mostly a marketing label to give some seperation to different camera body lines.

09-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Sure it does. For this very reason I am stopping taking photos until those are becoming pro grade bodies, or I buy a pro body ;o)
Good idea. The K-5 may be your answer, I heard it will be a Pro body. People will be beating your door down to buy professional K-5 images. Guaranteed.
09-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
I 'll come to disagree with almost everybody on this thread, but when we say that a model is a Pro one we don't mean that it something better, as everyone seems to understand. In fact it means that it is not for ordinary use, that it lacks certain abilities, for example that it does not have an automatic mode, no auto corrections e.t.c.
I know what you mean, pro gear can be extremely spartan and/or extremely specialized to the point where it is not for general use. Cameras haven't really gone that way though, the pro models seem very full-featured. Ruggedness is a heavy requirement and the Oly pro models qualify on that score, as does the K-7.

According to DPR the E-3 did not have scene modes but the E-5 does. I wasn't able to confirm this at the Oly site, so maybe DPR is wrong (not unusual). The E-5 does have "ten Art Filters for creative effects", which seems like a consumer oriented feature to me.
09-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Most professionals don't use top end cameras. This is understanding that most professionals aren't shooting for national geographic or sports illustrated, they are local photographers shooting weddings, senior portraits, etc. Most of them are still using Canon 20Ds and getting by."
Good point. I expect a lot of pro photographers can't afford to buy the latest and greatest. It's not easy making enough to cover business and household expenses. Gear has to have a payback.

09-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
"pro" should describe the photographer and not the tool he uses for the moment.

same as a painter, do you call certain brushes "pro" brushes?
Not the best analogy... usually the distinction is between "student" and "artist" level in art supplies, and there is a marked difference in quality.

Scholastic and Classroom Brushes - BLICK art materials
09-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Pentax has a Professional Program as well, with quick repair and loaner and trial equipment. You also get a personal rep who you can talk with or email about problems, questions or suggestions. Mine has been very responsive and helpful.
09-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #52
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"What makes a camera a Pro model?"

The person behind it.

09-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Good one

I like that one Lowell. makes sense to me
09-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
All medium format backs (i.e. Phase One and Leaf) produce sufficiently high quality images to fall within Getty Images’ standard submission requirements.
And also "but there may be other professional-quality digital SLRs using RAW format that may also produce acceptable files."

I'll bet they have images from point and shoots in their collection certainly not the majority, but I'll bet there are a plenty.

To me, the pro moniker means the camera has a better build than average meaning it's made for daily use and wear and tear and typically has more buttons or wheels to offer better / faster ergonomics than going through the menus.

If you classify a pro camera as one that you can earn money with, then any camera is a pro camera.

Now we all know that the IQ from cameras using the same sensor is largely the same. Canon T2i, 7d, 60d all have the same basic iq. Which one you buy depends on the features you need or the features the marketers make you think you need.

I'm in the market for a dslr in the future and am really considering a Pentax because of the size - I will be hiking with it a fair amount, and the weather proofing. Personally I don't care whether it's considered pro or not. If it fits my needs it fits my needs.

--Ryan
09-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #55
Veteran Member

In my book a pro camera means:
  • made for serious, heavyduty work (rugged body, more durable shutter and mirror and other mechanical parts, etc)
  • supports the photographer to concentrate on making the shot as much as possible (lots of external controls, highly customizable, 100% coverage and large VF, etc)
  • large scale of natively supported accessories
  • having pro support from the manufacturer (you can't get in the pro network with Nikon D3000, you can with D3s)

The pro or semi-pro status of a camera means a more reliable, more robust tool in theory. Not every pro photographer needs it, and not just pro photographers need it (I see no problem if an amateur/prosumer wants a more reliable, rugged camera - I know some amateurs who give their camera a lot of heavyduty work, sometimes in extremes conditions).
Whether the marketing department was right putting the pro or semi-pro label on a camera or not - that's a totally different story.
09-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
In my book a pro camera means:
  • made for serious, heavyduty work (rugged body, more durable shutter and mirror and other mechanical parts, etc)
  • supports the photographer to concentrate on making the shot as much as possible (lots of external controls, highly customizable, 100% coverage and large VF, etc)
  • large scale of natively supported accessories
  • having pro support from the manufacturer (you can't get in the pro network with Nikon D3000, you can with D3s)
Nice summary, I agree with all that.
09-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #57
Inactive Account

xkcd rocks