Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
is there such a thing as professional grade canvas for painters or even "Master" grade paper for prints?
Ask a marketer that and they'll tell you, "Great idea!"

Here are some other items that claim to be "Pro"

09-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Terry Richardson has on occasion used a $129.00 Canon point and shoot for photo shoots that he is being paid between 50-100 K for...I think the question should be; What are some of the choices Pro's have made that break with the standardized perception of what pro is. I think, if you are doing a 9 to 5 day catalog photography job for Walmart, the demands of that pro might be different than someone looking for a novel approach to F'ing up something to break the mold and stand out from the rest, like using a $19 piece of crap, because it renders stuff in a way a good camera would and could not.
09-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I didn't set out to do it, but I've sold two magazine covers with an Optio W80 P&S. I bought it as a cheap ($150) way to investigate underwater photography in fresh water. First P&S I've owned in almost 40 years of doing this. Wasn't expecting much, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality.
I've been thinking of upgrading from my K20D, but based upon what this 12 MP P&S does, I may just get a Kx or Kr as a backup. It's a bottom line thing. So far, the W80 has been the most profitable camera I've owned. More than paid for itself before the charge statement came due. That's good business.
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What makes a camera a Pro model?
Buyers stupidity!
How many pros buys their tools based on what they are called? none!
How many non-sense customers may do that? a lot!

09-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would define "pro model" as built better and sturdier and able to stand up to heavy, everyday use. The cheapest entry level DSLR out there is still a pretty decent camera, especially with a good lens and capable of "pro" quality shots. The "pro" models are solidly built with metal framework inside, weather sealed, larger batterys, etc. The current issue of Shutterbug, in the review of the new Canon Rebel T2i noted that the features and IQ was par with the 7D but noted the better build quality of the 7D vs the all plastic body of the Rebel.
09-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I wonder if Pentaxian's are the only ones who have thread discussions about this?

c[_]
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I once asked this girl if she was a "pro" when she asked for $100, she laughed and wanted to see my tool

09-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I wonder if Pentaxian's are the only ones who have thread discussions about this?

c[_]
I wonder if my photos suddenly turns pro the day after K-7 and K10D are announced pro bodies. What about all the photos I have taken before that date?!
09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

This is not something new. I started with a Contax and Zeiss lenses, then switched to Nikon about the time Canon was up and comming. Most pros back then used Nikon DSLR and looked down on Canon shooters. Hassy shooters looked down on everyone.
There really was some difference between brands back then, but digital has changed that too.
Today, I think more than ever, the glass is where it's at, and Pentax is a leader in glass. My advice is to spend more money for a lens than you do for a body.
09-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I wonder if my photos suddenly turns pro the day after K-7 and K10D are announced pro bodies.!
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
What about all the photos I have taken before that date?!
No.

Hope this helps.
09-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #41

The E5 is definitely outspec'd by the Canon 7D and Sony FF A850. It seems about even with the D300s, but the availability of Nikon lenses < availability of Olympus lenses and APS-C > 4/3.

Not a wise move by Olympus IMO. They've outpriced themselves for sure. And I doubt the E5 deserves the name "pro".
09-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Hope this helps.
Sure it does. For this very reason I am stopping taking photos until those are becoming pro grade bodies, or I buy a pro body ;o)
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #43

I 'll come to disagree with almost everybody on this thread, but when we say that a model is a Pro one we don't mean that it something better, as everyone seems to understand. In fact it means that it is not for ordinary use, that it lacks certain abilities, for example that it does not have an automatic mode, no auto corrections e.t.c. This means that in order to use this product efficiently you should have advanced skills, in other words you should be a professional. Then this product usually excels in certain domains that would fit to a specialized professional.

Regards
09-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
"pro" should describe the photographer and not the tool he uses for the moment.

same as a painter, do you call certain brushes "pro" brushes?
Good point +1
09-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most professionals don't use top end cameras. This is understanding that most professionals aren't shooting for national geographic or sports illustrated, they are local photographers shooting weddings, senior portraits, etc. Most of them are still using Canon 20Ds and getting by.

The pro logo is really a selling point for wealthy amateurs who think that the camera makes the difference and want to look like a pro, even if they can't shoot like one.

Professional support from a camera company is a separate issue. The idea that Nikon/CAnon will fix your camera body/lens and give you a loaner so that you don't miss a job is a great thing, but I think you have to be a member of their professional network to get this. It isn't something that automatically comes with a "pro camera."