Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7, faulty front e-dial

Just shipped my 3 month old K7 off to repair.

Been shooting a lot in "M" mode. Sometimes while shooting, the shutter speed would change all by itself. When I would attempt to reset it, each turn of the e-dial would take it somewhere besides where it was supposed to go. ie: 1/250 and turn the dial one click might get 1/6000 or 1/2500 and a subsequent click would take it somewhere else.

Anyone else here had this issue with their K7?

09-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Soyish

Had the same problem here, but it was the rear e-dial. I recently got back my camera after one week, talk about fast service
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem on mine (simply didn't work sometimes), but I just worked it back and forth a bit and it eventually stopped doing it.
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Just shipped my 3 month old K7 off to repair.

Been shooting a lot in "M" mode. Sometimes while shooting, the shutter speed would change all by itself. When I would attempt to reset it, each turn of the e-dial would take it somewhere besides where it was supposed to go. ie: 1/250 and turn the dial one click might get 1/6000 or 1/2500 and a subsequent click would take it somewhere else.

Anyone else here had this issue with their K7?
Someone over on the other forum had the same problem. Apparently with a K7 he got from Amazon. Recently enough to Return it for exchange. He stated that this only happened to him in M mode and the others seemed fine. I cannot say that I have had any such problem.

K7 problem: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

09-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Had the same problem with my K-7. Wrote a thread about it a while ago, (but don't feel like looking it up.) Talked to the Pentax service rep, and they said it was a problem that required me to send the camera back and have the dial electronics replaced.

One more in my long list of modern Pentax QC problems unfortunately.
09-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-7's front e-dial wigged out after only a couple of weeks. If I turned the dial to the left it would act like I turned it to the right, and if I turned it to the right it would act like I turned it to the right 1-4 times. Unfortunately I had a trip to Australia/New Zealand a couple weeks after I noticed, so I had to live with it for a month before I could get back and ship it in for repair. Go Av mode!

My camera got to the Arizona facility on Monday, so we'll see how long it takes to repair. Sad thing is the camera I sent in was my third copy; I had to send the previous two back to B&H for other defects. They should really move the assembly of their products back to Japan! :ugh:
09-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
They should really move the assembly of their products back to Japan! :ugh:
And then everyone would be complaining when Pentax has to increase prices to account for the higher Japanese wage.

09-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sent mine to CRJ repair co. in Duluth, GA (Atlanta). I'll report back on their turn around time.
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter Count of 14,600+ and no problems as of yet. My camera never leaves M-Mode.
10-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
My K-7 has problems with the front e-dial after only ~1500 shutter count and 5 weeks of use. I took it to CRJ in Duluth GA also (thanks Ed for the tip). I am a little disappointed about Pentax workmenship now. But let's see how the camera does after this. I like the IQ and the functionality of the camera and lenses though.
10-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #11

My friend's K7 used to have that issue. Send to service under warranty and the technician said its just a dirty contact issue.

A week is all it takes for his camera to come back as the service center is in Melbourne.
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK,
Just had my K-7 serviced to find out that my problem was not fixed and all K-7 cameras cannot take sharp P-TTL shots using fill flash. Now my front e-dial is acting up too and the values jump around when dialing. I guess I am not having much luck with my K-7 and I hate to have the camera in service for another 4 weeks. This is ridiculous.

When purchasing my K10D after being so impressed with my wife's K100D Super I became a die-hard Pentax fan, but now I am getting a bit concerned about Pentax.

The K-5 seems very promising but now I hear about the flash not exposing properly when bounced. I may sell my K-7 and get a K-5 that have the flash problem resolved otherwise, (as much as an Pentax supporter that I am) I will move on to Nikon.

Anyway any others having problems with the e-dial? Is this a common problem? I bought my K-7 at amazon.

Thanks
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using one at home and one at work, over 7k shots on each. No problems so far (knock on wood)!. Both from B&H, not that that matters.
11-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Forum Member

I had exactly the same problem with K-7. It was faulty front e-dial. They replaced it under warranty and it's without problems so far (almost a year).
11-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #15
bmf

Same with My K7

I made the HUGE jump from my trusty Z1P to the K7 - what a let down!

My dial does not work either.

It seems this is really common.

c'mon Pentax