Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

Need a big favor from a k10d owner

I'm wondering if any k10d user can do me a favor...

I lost my k10d cd's and I'd like to use the remote assistant and possibly other software.

Is anyone willing to create images of the cd's (.iso or other) and send them to me through my server or directly through some messaging program?

I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Peter

09-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe you can go to the site and download these.
09-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #3

Yeah sure,

I could do that for you.

It would depend on where you live, ect....
09-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vatis Quote
Yeah sure,

I could do that for you.

It would depend on where you live, ect....
Thanks for the reply.

I'm in New Jersey, USA. Do you have a fast internet connection? I don't think the pentax cd's are too large.

09-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you are suggesting is probably illegal under copyright law in your country.

If it's available for free download, why have you not done that already?

Anyone who sends you this software is taking alot on trust.
09-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
What you are suggesting is probably illegal under copyright law in your country.

Anyone who sends you this software is taking alot on trust.
I'm a legal owner of this camera and I will supply proof if requested. Hopefully not everyone is as anal as you are though.

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
If it's available for free download, why have you not done that already?
I don't think it is. Besides Remote Assistant 3, I've only been able to find the Updates for the programs.
09-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well the software is FREE so I see no reason to invoke the riot act here. And last I looked Pentax has done away with the need to do a "disk security check" Always had to have the original CD in order to upgrade. Didn't need it the last time, though this is only circumstantial evidence.
Always thought it was ridiculous and pointless to require it in the first place. Not sure what they are trying to protect here. As usual they made it harder on legitimate users (ie people who damaged/lost their disc) than "pirates" stealing free software, which seems stupid in the first place. So if you can explain why this is bad I'm all ears. As for trust, the OP has more risk than the sender. Who knows what was/is/willbe sent?
I'd send you a file w/ the software that came w/ the "*istD" if I can find it. From there I believe you can upgrade to your hearts content. The "capture" software is "stand alone" I believe. At least it seemed that way years ago

09-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
I'm a legal owner of this camera and I will supply proof if requested. Hopefully not everyone is as anal as you are though.

I don't think it is. Besides Remote Assistant 3, I've only been able to find the Updates for the programs.
I find your response quite insulting.

I was merely pointing out that copying making copies of software and sending them through the mail is still an offence, no matter whether the software was originally free or not.

We must expect our society to descend into anarchy if we choose which laws to obey and those we may disregard. By the number of these cameras you have advertised for sale on these forums, it is clear that you have had several opportunities to own this software legally.

Please dont stoop to being insulting because you find the truth of what I said to be inconvenient.
09-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #9

Hyperlinks to Remote Assistant 3 and Software...

Link to Remote Assistant for *istD

*istD - All Software
09-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Remote Assistant 3 is free and the full version of the software is available free to download:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/software_drivers/remote_assistant_3/INSTRA030.EXE

As far as other software in the CD:

Photo Lab and Photo browser are only needed if you don't have anything else to process raw files with. In other words, there's nothing else in there worth writing home about .

You might as well download other free image processing software like Irfanview (a fantastic free image viewer/quick editor that supports photoshop plugins for Windows) or Gimp, a full fledged free image manipulation program available for Windows/Mac/Linux.

Gimp can be downloaded @ GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Irfanview and plugins, plus the review can be read/downloaded at IrfanView - Reviews and free downloads at Download.com
09-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the Remote Assistant 3.0 from the site but i'm having some trouble with it.

I launched the program and connected the camera, turned it on. Whenever i try to take a picture or perform some camera functions using the software, it gives me an error that the BUFFER IS FULL.

If I attempt to use the program while the camera is in USER mode, i keep getting Save-As windows continuously.

I don't remember having such issues with the version that was bundled with the camera.

Any ideas?
09-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As far as the Save As feature, just go into the options and change the settings to auto-save.

Not sure as to the buffer full error, except that maybe it's waiting for you to save the file before it can take the next picture (?)
09-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #13

Remote Assistance 3.0 is for K10D.
Try the link i Supplied for *istD.

I have a K100D that will work with *istD Remote Assisant 1.0.

Is it for K100D or K10D? Sorry got confused your Sig says K100D?
09-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm a bit confused... the topic reads "Need a favor from a K10d owner and the initial post mentions misplaced K10d CDs.

Are we talking k10d or k100?
09-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
I'm a bit confused... the topic reads "Need a favor from a K10d owner and the initial post mentions misplaced K10d CDs.

Are we talking k10d or k100?
We're talking K10d.