Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this is fairly common, even with film SLR's. A friend shot my wedding with a film Rebel (in 2006) , and when going through the scanned negatives it boggled my mind how she could take *every* shot crooked. The lean in her camera was pretty severe but it was never beyond fixing - it was just annoying to have to straighten every shot she took with that camera (read: not every shot she took, so I couldn't batch it) in Aperture.

09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I download, and do any quick adjustments, with Faststone. The levelling function is very quick and easy. And best of all, it's free.

It is a nuisance, but after a while I've got used to the tilt and when I remember I tilt the camera.
09-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same with my K10. I only noticed it after updating to firmware 1.3

An easy workaround... as i process everything in Silkypix Pro, I just set my defaults to compensate for the shift.
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine does it too, although it seems to be a recent phenomenon, so perhaps it took a knock and I didn't notice.

09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here I thought it was just me! So I not nuts!! lol
09-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just to be contrary, mine does not do it and this is the first I remember hearing about the issue.

Steve
09-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You are not nuts, and now I know, neither am I. My k20d does it all the time and I have been quite frustrated by it.
I will do a couple of tests now, to see just how much mine is out.

09-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Depending on your skills, you can do a "DIY" job.
The K10D service manual can be downloaded here: http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/k10d_sm.zip

Good luck!

- Bert
09-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
I think this is fairly common, even with film SLR's. A friend shot my wedding with a film Rebel (in 2006) , and when going through the scanned negatives it boggled my mind how she could take *every* shot crooked. The lean in her camera was pretty severe but it was never beyond fixing - it was just annoying to have to straighten every shot she took with that camera (read: not every shot she took, so I couldn't batch it) in Aperture.
It's possible that the focusing screen was misaligned (a slight twist on the Y axis) - that could account for the slope. Otherwise, she may have just been stabbing the shutter release or handling it improperly.

My K10D has always had a slope. I had to send it away for servicing twice, and they didn't fix it either time, despite my detailed list of the problems! Not impressed, Pentax. Maybe it was a sensor alignment problem that they couldn't fix somehow... The SR works, though, and I still like the camera. I just have to be mindful of the slope when I shoot anything with obvious horizontal or vertical lines, and tilt my view clockwise very slightly in my hand; Not an ideal fix, but it usually helps.
Good thing I don't shoot landscapes much.
09-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #25
Forum Member

Tilt-a-whirl

My K10D was sent in to CRIS for repair. They fixed the tilt for $250. (Also I noticed an improvement in AF but it might just be in my mind.)

Six months after the K10D came back the tilt has returned, about 4 degrees. CRIS guarantees are for 90 days. Not gonna send it back.

But I live with it -- my tilted horizons easily are fixed with Photoshop Elements 8.

My K20D shows no tilt.
09-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
It's possible that the focusing screen was misaligned (a slight twist on the Y axis) - that could account for the slope. Otherwise, she may have just been stabbing the shutter release or handling it improperly.

My K10D has always had a slope. I had to send it away for servicing twice, and they didn't fix it either time, despite my detailed list of the problems! Not impressed, Pentax. Maybe it was a sensor alignment problem that they couldn't fix somehow... The SR works, though, and I still like the camera. I just have to be mindful of the slope when I shoot anything with obvious horizontal or vertical lines, and tilt my view clockwise very slightly in my hand; Not an ideal fix, but it usually helps.
Good thing I don't shoot landscapes much.
Quite possible, but she did my cousin's wedding and . . . same thing! I think she might have scoliosis!
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #27

Original Poster
Wow - this is a very common issue... I wonder if it is limited to Pentax only..?
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NRM7000 Quote
Wow - this is a very common issue... I wonder if it is limited to Pentax only..?
No............ not historically but currently????
QuoteQuote:
I've yet to see a Nikon viewfinder perfectly aligned (try it
> without gridlines using the bottom edge of the viewable area as the
> "guide"; same problem). On one of my cameras it was so frustrating
> that I finally just created a Photoshop Action and lived with the
> reduced image size ;~(. The thing that's curious to me is that
> EVERY Nikon DSLR I've used has the problem in the same direction.
> You'd think if it were really an alignment problem that some
> viewfinders would slant left and some right. "
Re: D200 Grid Lines - Off? Not quite right?: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review
http://www.bythom.com/
09-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NRM7000 Quote
I also wonder if it is only on the SR cameras? In other words, are the fixed-sensor cameras (istD, istDL, istDS, K110D) excluded from this problem?
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
I also wonder if it is only on the SR cameras? In other words, are the fixed-sensor cameras (istD, istDL, istDS, K110D) excluded from this problem?
My K10D got the same problem, camera's without floating sensor at least do not get it over time, they have it , or they dont have it.