Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After 4 Pentax DSLR, a first failure: Kx Died!

Okay, I guess this is great news, actually. 4 Years shooting Pentax DSLR [K10D, *Ist DL, K100D, Kx] and had one failure. I just came back from my 7,000 Miles roadtrip around the US, and fews days to the end, right at the Yellowstone National Park, the Kx died on me.

I actually remember exactly what happened: I was inside the car, preparing for a shot, and exactly at the same time i clicked the shutter, my brother started driving on the bumpy road. At that exactly time, the camera shut down and never came back to life.

I still had the strong warrior K10D to shoot, so the rest of the trip was fine.

I guess I'll have some inputs down the road regarding Pentax costumer service and warranty process!

09-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do keep us informed and show us some photos from that trip. Sounds like a blast!

09-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Wow that's a very odd way for a camera to pack it in.
Sounds like a power issue.
Good thing you had a back-up.

PS. I couldn't use the Kx for anything but play myself. My wife has one and it's just so basic and limited in contrast to the K20D, it drives me nuts.
09-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff,

It seems like the repair/warranty process is pretty straight forward, and since the camera did stop working for no reason, I dont expect any surprises from Pentax. But lets see how it goes, and how long it lasts and things like that. I honestly am not worried, but you never know!

Regarding the trip, well, it was incredible. I was supposed to blog it from the road, but as I was driving a 1988 Coachmen RV and the daily problems were appearing, I had no time to blog.

I have a total of 6,500 RAW files to edit and select, so it will be few days before pictures starting to be published online. But yes, it is a gracefully GORGEOUS country.. incredible... I have no idea what I am doing in the east coast... the west/midwest is gorgeous.

The wanna-be-a-blog is here, with at least a couple of posts and pictures:

Road Trip to Burning Man

Cheers!

09-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John,

It was a weird way, and more so because I knew exactly when it happened.

Originally i had the K10D mounted on the windshield with suction cup and the 10-17 and the Kx on hand, taking random shots. It was a great setup up and very useful.

After the Kx died, life was not so easy, as I needed the windshield shots for my Stop-Motion video (yeah! Stay tuned!) and the other camera for the random landscape shots. It all happened though 4 or 3 days to the end of it, so not so bad.

And regarding the cameras, the K10D has proved to be the BEST warrior camera for any situation (actually, any situation but DARK scenes.. he he he) and it is the second time it goes to the desert with me. Great grip, great body, strong warrior. Not even worth considering selling it for ~ $250.

On the other hand, I do love the Kx and its compact size and ISO... it is my most used camera currently, for daily shooting. But i do agree with you, after shooting with the K10D (K20D in your case) it is a bit complicated to adjust back to the limited controls on the Kx.

But I feel the opposite is also true, as sometimes I find myself struggling with the K10d after shooting with the Kx... he he he... maybe I am really stupid!
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I tried to use my girlfriends K2000 for the first time in months the other day. I kept reaching for the front dial that's not there. Then, I would go to turn the rear dial to adjust aperture like on my K7, and I was adjusting shutterspeed. It was slightly frustrating at first. Just had to get used to it again.
10-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, some updates here after just receiving the camera:

- CRIS received the camera on the 9/23/2010 (UPS confirmation)
- I waited to hear back from them for 4 days and nothing, I then called and they told me they had received it and it was on the queue. I asked why I hadn't heard back from them or when do I hear back from them, and person told me to check online for status (she provided me with a log in info)
- Status was updated on the 10/1/2010, stating "Quality Assurance / Repair Completed / Ship".

- The "Shipped / Tracking #" tag was left blank, so I was not sure if the camera was actually shipped or not.

- Waited another 11 days, and today I called again asking about shipping status. The same person told me the camera has been shipped but they "forgot" to update the tracking info. Okay. I then asked to verify the address, and they had sent to the wrong address. Arrrggghh.. Long story short, I was actually able to get it today, thanks for ME calling CRIS and finding out they had screwed up on the address and I managed to solve this with UPS.

- The camera does power up and it has been cleaned up (it was dusty, for I was on a 3 week road trip across the country). I accidently sent a memory card in the camera and they sent me back (just realized now). I brought to the office the DA40mm and I'll check if they cleaned the sensor and if everything else is in order.

My opinion so far about the service:

- CRIS does have a nice system down (customer service, website, updates, emails, etc) BUT they dont use it correctly. I had to call twice to get info that allegedly was supposed to be online.

- Not much of a delay, IMO. 7 days for a repair and 19 days total turn around seems normal.

- Customer service is very polite, because today I was VERY pissed off to realize they screwed up on the suite number (1701 x 1707) when I actually TYPED the return address. Okay.. okay... mistakes do happen... but i was still VERY pissed and the customer service just let me rant and politely said she would fix it, and she actually did, because she contacted UPS right away and updated the suite number.

I am just glad to have the Kx back, as I have an event on the 23rd and I was worried about getting the camera back.

Cheers

BB
10-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

17 days total not too bad, it took me 10 calender days for my K10D which included 2 weekends and a national holiday, when I dropped my K10D off at pentax canada in May of 2009.

Did they tell you what had failed? Just curiosity on my part, but just how bumpy was that road any way, and did you hit the camera on anything (it's OK you can admit it now you have the camera back )

10-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
17 days total not too bad, it took me 10 calender days for my K10D which included 2 weekends and a national holiday, when I dropped my K10D off at pentax canada in May of 2009.

Did they tell you what had failed? Just curiosity on my part, but just how bumpy was that road any way, and did you hit the camera on anything (it's OK you can admit it now you have the camera back )
Yes, they did said something, it is in the report, but i left at work. IIRC it says "fixed power connector" or power connection or something. I'll confirm tomorrow.

And no, I did not bump it on anything. I literally just pressed the shutter at the exact time he started moving the car, and the camera went off. It was literally the same moment, so very hard to believe it was a coincidence....
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Did they tell you what had failed?
Just for the record, here is the repair description from CRIS:

- Cleaned Battery Contacts
- Cleaned and Repaired Power Switch Contacts
- Cleaned and Checked to Manufacturer's Specifications
10-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Good news that you got it back and in working condition without too much trouble.
10-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Just for the record, here is the repair description from CRIS:

- Cleaned Battery Contacts
- Cleaned and Repaired Power Switch Contacts
- Cleaned and Checked to Manufacturer's Specifications
It sounds like all it was was a bent battery contact, not making contact.
10-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I have five Pentax DSLRs and none have broken. They are not new models.

*stD
K100D * 2
K110D
K100D Super

Shutter counts via PhotoMe range from 3397 to 18859

Oh, I broke the K110D once taking the internal filter out and I paid Pentax to fix it.

Not one camera has failed on its own.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 10-15-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added sentence
10-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Forum Member

Been shooting with Pentax SLRs since '86, and have owned almost every film body since the Super Program. As for DSLRs, have owned or still own two DLs, two K100s, a K100 Super, two K200s, and a Kx. Along the way only one camera has had a failure of any kind: the onboard flash failed on a SF1n purchased used. Not bad!

Last edited by bobore; 10-16-2010 at 11:37 AM.