Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

The $1699 Pentax dilemma..!!!

I have been a Pentax user for a long time and I own most of the Ltd lenses with the sole exception of the FA31mm. I owned all the DSLRs since *ist DS and I recently bought a Kx over a K-7, price being the main factor. I preferred the more bang for the buck of Pentax over Canon and Nikon. I also own a Hyundai sonata for over 7 years now and in the world of Camrys and Accords, I opted for the value for money option-and it paid off. I seriously have doubts over people investing upwards of $1500 for a Pentax APS-C Digital SLR when they can have better options with a Canon or Nikon. Pentax positioned itself as a cheaper but better alternative to similar priced rivals, and this sudden jump into the 'Premium' segment may not work well for it. But then I could be wrong- I recently read that for the first time ever, the sales of the 2011 Sonata would exceed that of the mighty Honda Accord...!!!!!

09-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 will likely cost $1399, not the earlier-quoted $1699. It's essentially an upgraded K-7.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114323-k-5-prices-leaked-german.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
I seriously have doubts over people investing upwards of $1500 for a Pentax APS-C Digital SLR when they can have better options with a Canon or Nikon.
A year ago, when K-7 came out I invested full price in it. In Israel prices are high and they don't decrease just as rapidly as it is in USA or Canada... Although I don't intend to invest similar amount of money again this time just because a new camera body is coming out.
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll Take "Upgraded"

Look, I like everything about the K-7, especially it's improved autofocus over the K20. It was a great step up.

If the new body is an "upgraded" K-7 but those upgrades include even BETTER AF and BETTER ISO sensitivity, then I might really think about taking a 1300 dollar plunge. There are still moments when the AF through a DA*16-50 betrays me and locks up at the worst time. If that will go away with this new body, I would really have to think about getting one. I take lots of candids and party shots, and lock ups are to be avoided as much as possible!

09-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just please at least wait until 20th.. to get an official MSRP and specs, then check the street price for pre-ordering...
09-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Exactly, why worry about the price when it is not even official? Perhaps, it is by design or pure luck that k-5 official announcement is slated closer to Photokina. I am sure Hoya and Pentax folks would have figured out a strategy to move the K-5. It seems like the sweet spot of the advanced APS-C models are around $1200-1400; great for consumers though. I don't know if it will also affect the price of 7D and D300s though.
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a feeling that things might be just a bit different in the *real world* than they are right now (floating on rumors)...

09-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I remembered when i first got my K200D it was ~$1200 then i found this forum again and realized i should have waited a few months after introduction where it not only hit the $600ish mark but was discontinued....LOL
09-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Usually MSRP prices are a little higher. After the launch, prices stabilize and are more affordable/realistic. Wait and see what price is the official one.
09-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
I have been a Pentax user for a long time and I own most of the Ltd lenses with the sole exception of the FA31mm. I owned all the DSLRs since *ist DS and I recently bought a Kx over a K-7, price being the main factor. I preferred the more bang for the buck of Pentax over Canon and Nikon. I also own a Hyundai sonata for over 7 years now and in the world of Camrys and Accords, I opted for the value for money option-and it paid off. I seriously have doubts over people investing upwards of $1500 for a Pentax APS-C Digital SLR when they can have better options with a Canon or Nikon. Pentax positioned itself as a cheaper but better alternative to similar priced rivals, and this sudden jump into the 'Premium' segment may not work well for it. But then I could be wrong- I recently read that for the first time ever, the sales of the 2011 Sonata would exceed that of the mighty Honda Accord...!!!!!

I think you should buy a Nikon or a Canon
Sonatas, Accords, and Camrys have two things in common; they are awful and virtually impossible to sell outside North America. After all, the most sold car in the US is a crude pick-up truck (at least was).
09-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The k-5 has weather sealing and shake reduction and faster fps over the d7000, the d7000 has a likely better autofocus... and that is all.

Imo the k-5 is worth more.

Also does Nikon have any primes comparable to your limited? With VR in them to compensate for it lacking in body?

And i agree with Pal Jensen, the Sonata and Camry handle like crap, accelerate like crap and stop like crap. (I've not driven an Accord)
09-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
the Sonata and Camry handle like crap, accelerate like crap and stop like crap. (I've not driven an Accord)
I drove Kia Magentis (equivalent of Sonata) this year for a week during a business trip to US. It is a fine car. Evidently my mileage is different than yours .
09-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So keep your K-x another year and if you MUST get a K-5, wait until the price is $899.

Jason
09-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'll pass on it and give it a 1 year thought.
09-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Evidently my mileage is different than yours .
Yes but its all relative... I drive a WRX for a daily driver so.... I did drive a Jetta VW and think that it wasnt horrible.