Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Three Seperate Questions Groups
There is always the early adapter group - folks that want/need the latest and greatest. 1014.08%
There is the group whose camera fortunes have befallen the - it was stolen, it died, ... 68.45%
There are folks who are new to Pentax for what ever reason and are looking to acquire. 11.41%
Folks who have an entry level model of some vintage & are looking to upgrade to a more capable body. 1521.13%
The group with various aged *ists, K10s, K20 and maybe a rogue K7 with 200k clicks on it. 3954.93%
Right away - within a couple months of the announcement? 1521.13%
When the price hits $1k? 2230.99%
When the K5's replacement is pending? 1723.94%
Looking to stay with Pentax. 4461.97%
Looking to leave Pentax [cuz there's no stinking FF] 79.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wife is the best "always upgrading" and LBA therapy

09-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
yeah wives are great for that. Are you sure you really need another camera/lens/flash
I have a great reply for this with my wife. I just say, if you add up all the cash you spent on shoes in the past year or two, that equals a new camera body for me
09-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I would like to use my stock answer: When I'm convinced that the latest and greatest will make me a better photographer. The truth is however, I just like new gadgets. I'll say now I don't intend to upgrade but since I have all of the flagships from Pentax, the K5 will likely find it's way here at some point.

09-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I have a great reply for this with my wife. I just say, if you add up all the cash you spent on shoes in the past year or two, that equals a new camera body for me
.... he says as he hunkers down for his first night living in his car........

09-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
Nubi

Hm . . . . .

At the moment, I feel no need to replace my k-7. I just don't think that my pics will look any better if I went to K-5. But then again, I know that my pics will suck just as bad when I get 645d. So that argument doesn't fly that well.

I don't know. I am not that excited about it. I was very excited about K-7, and it met my expectation and some. I just don' think that Pentax will be able to do that.

Again, I realize people have different needs. I just don't need superior AF. in fact, I don't need any AF at all. I don't need high ISO performance. I don't need more than 5 ffs. In fact, I never shoot in burst mode. But I do need a very good low ISO performance. I would like a light camera.

Also, at the end of the day, I would rather buy lenses than a body. Maybe that is it.
09-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not upgrading. Getting a 2nd K-7 to go with my 1st K-7.
The money saved will go towards glass.

The K-7 is a fine camera as is. Getting a new camera won't make nearly as much of a difference with images as a different lens will.

As long as Pentax continues making camera's and great lenses, I am not leaving.

I'm not that interested in FF, though I know it is Nubi's life goal.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 09-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.
09-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Not upgrading to any of the upcoming latest-greatest. Call me when the rotating LCD appears, though. (Not the Canon one!)
09-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would also add phasing out of Pentax because there is no mirrorless which is what I'm doing. I won't be upgrading to the next body. I did K10, K20, K7, and unfortunately KX (it was an impulse purchase). Switched to the E-P2 several months ago. Awaiting the upcoming Canon mirrorless. I'll probably keep the K7 and the DA 15-70mm until the shutter gives out though.

09-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

*ist D(S)

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
yeah wives are great for that. Are you sure you really need another camera/lens/flash

The *istD is functionally, one of the best cameras ever....
Amen to that.

My first Pentax was/is a K20D, and since then I've had a *ist DS (not quite the same as *ist D but close enough...) and now a K-x.

Even without SR, with a tiny LCD and a shotgun-like shutter sound, I still carry my *ist DS around almost always, and that clunker has given me some of the most memorable photos ever.

Even my broken (SDM) 16-50 gets out to play with it because the camera is so uncomplicated! And because you can get one for around $200 USD now, I just leave it in my car most of the time. It has seen days with temperatures in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit and probably several around or below zero, but it still never blinks and is always ready when you crank it up. A true workhorse!

And half of my PPG entries are from my *ist DS!
09-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

When my K10D dies and is too expensive to resuscitate...then I will look at the next top model in the Pentax line. Still takes great pix. Touch wood.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-17-2010 at 08:39 PM.
09-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the SF-1 because it had a built in winder, and I was getting into sports photography. I really wanted the LX and winder, but for the price of the LX winder alone, I could purchase the SF-1.

I bought the MZ-S because my wife's eyesight meant that she took the SF-1 over, despite the weight, from her ME.

I bought the K10d because I came into an inheritance, and quality film processing was getting harder to find, and it was about time to get into digital. The K10d met my minimum criteria for digital, 10 Mp, and allowed me to keep the use of my older lenses. The 10 Mp requirement was because I am often in a position where I have to crop an image, and 10 Mp allows a 6 Mp crop to 8x10.

Given an infinite amount of money, I would probably swap my M400 for the FA* 250-600 and swap my M100 macro for the new WR macro.
09-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #27
Inactive Account

When my K20D bites the dust.

I do landscape, portrait and fine art, for which it is more than capable.
09-18-2010, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #28
Col
Veteran Member

Definitely before 1st January

There is the group whose camera fortunes have befallen the - it was stolen, it died, ...
May try and arrange an accident to my K20, my neighbour is still too happy with the K10 I sold him last upgrade.
  • Right away - within a couple months of the announcement?
    In the UK we've the added pressure of VAT (our sales tax) jumping from 17.5% to 20% on 4th Jan, so probably before then!

Then there are the folks:
  • Looking to stay with Pentax.
    The glass is fine this side of the fence
  • Looking to leave Pentax [cuz there's no stinking FF]
09-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love my K200d, however I'm in the group that is looking to upgrade to a more capable camera.

The better ISO performance is my number one reason.
Then AF
The FPS.
Couldn't care less about the megapixels. Having 16mp to play with is nice but not necessary. The camera could have been a 10mp and I would have been happy.
I am looking forward to having a DSLR with video. I can't wait to get my 50mm 1.7 on it and see what I can do.

That being said, I likely won't be selling my K200d...ever. It'll be a good second camera and I like to collect cameras as it is. When it dies and gets to the point that I can't fix it, it'll get a prominent spot in my camera display case (yet to be built).

There is about a 60% chance that come christmas, I'll be upgrading no matter the price. I'll be getting the grip with it as well.
09-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I consider upgrading not quite the same thing as replacing. Any of us will have to replace a broken or stolen camera and unless the camera is fairly new, it probably will have to be replaced with a newer model unless you find a used one. As for upgrading, if I'm not getting the shots I need for whatever reason, ISO range, fps, AF tracking, etc, then upgrading is necessary. I am getting by nicely still with my K10D.