Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Three Seperate Questions Groups
There is always the early adapter group - folks that want/need the latest and greatest. 1014.08%
There is the group whose camera fortunes have befallen the - it was stolen, it died, ... 68.45%
There are folks who are new to Pentax for what ever reason and are looking to acquire. 11.41%
Folks who have an entry level model of some vintage & are looking to upgrade to a more capable body. 1521.13%
The group with various aged *ists, K10s, K20 and maybe a rogue K7 with 200k clicks on it. 3954.93%
Right away - within a couple months of the announcement? 1521.13%
When the price hits $1k? 2230.99%
When the K5's replacement is pending? 1723.94%
Looking to stay with Pentax. 4461.97%
Looking to leave Pentax [cuz there's no stinking FF] 79.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your Criteria for Upgrading Bodies

With Pentax's second round of announcements pending next week, and all the speculating leading up to it. That somewhat begs the question of upgrading.
  • There is always the early adapter group - folks that want/need the latest and greatest.
  • There is the group whose camera fortunes have befallen the - it was stolen, it died, ...
  • There are folks who are new to Pentax for what ever reason and are looking to acquire.
  • There are folks who have an entry level model of some vintage and are looking to upgrade to a more capable body.
  • And then there is the group with various aged *ists, K10s, K20 and maybe a rogue K7 with 200k clicks on it.

If you were to acquire:
  • Right away - within a couple months of the announcement?
  • When the price hits $1k?
  • When the K5's replacement is pending?

Then there are the folks:
  • Looking to stay with Pentax.
  • Looking to leave Pentax [cuz there's no stinking FF]

09-17-2010, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When I think of upgrading I first look at the reasons I bought my existing body then I test those reasons against the following questions

1) Have my needs changed?
2) Have my aspirations changed?
3) Am I better informed about my needs?
4) Have I let myself be unduly influenced by forum mania and marketing hype?

and finally

5) have I used it enough or long enough to get a good return on my investment?
6) are there better uses for my disposable income?
7) will it make me a better photographer?
09-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems I'm the first voter.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
With Pentax's second round of announcements pending next week, and all the speculating leading up to it. That somewhat begs the question of upgrading.
I think you need to add to the list a few items
  • when technology has moved enough to make it worth while
  • when youo have decided you want a second body
QuoteQuote:
  • There is always the early adapter group - folks that want/need the latest and greatest.
did this with my *istD, bought wihtin 1 month of release, but then waited through the release of the DS, DS2, DL, K100, K110, K100S and figured they offered nothing new, then got a K10D within a month of release because it was worth while
QuoteQuote:
  • There is the group whose camera fortunes have befallen the - it was stolen, it died, ...
did this with the K10D, shutter died, so I got the K7 but still had the K10D fixed because it was worth getting fixed
QuoteQuote:
  • There are folks who are new to Pentax for what ever reason and are looking to acquire.
  • There are folks who have an entry level model of some vintage and are looking to upgrade to a more capable body.
  • And then there is the group with various aged *ists, K10s, K20 and maybe a rogue K7 with 200k clicks on it.

If you were to acquire:
  • Right away - within a couple months of the announcement?
did this each time I actually did upgrade
QuoteQuote:
  • When the price hits $1k?
  • When the K5's replacement is pending?

Then there are the folks:
  • Looking to stay with Pentax.
  • Looking to leave Pentax [cuz there's no stinking FF]

I'm looking to stay with pentax, basically I upgrade when I feel technology has moved enought to make it worth while. As note above I waited about 7 model releases between *istD and K10D, passed on the K20 but got a K7 partially because the K10D shutter died, but also because the combination of the 14MP cmos sensor, revamped AF, totally revised metering, made it a worthwhile step. the K20 seemed to me to have too many carry over issues from the K10D especially metering with old lenses/
09-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labnut Quote
When I think of upgrading I first look at the reasons I bought my existing body then I test those reasons against the following questions

1) Have my needs changed?
2) Have my aspirations changed?
3) Am I better informed about my needs?
4) Have I let myself be unduly influenced by forum mania and marketing hype?

and finally

5) have I used it enough or long enough to get a good return on my investment?
6) are there better uses for my disposable income?
7) will it make me a better photographer?
I hear you but i think this is really just trying to justify the want for a new toy

Except of course 5 and 6 which are real issues for some. It is not so bad now, but my first *istD cost me about $2500 cdn (the dollar was only 0.75 US at the time) but 13500 shots later it has more than paid th ecost of film processing.

In fact, I still use it every few weeks with manual focus (M42 or K lenses) and TTL flash because it supports it.

09-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I hear you but i think this is really just trying to justify the want for a new toy
Well, err, umm..., OK, I admit it, of course I want a new toy!
But this primeval drive must first survive some rigorous questioning.

I am impressed that you still use your istD
09-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Banned

Well I didn't buy a camera so far this year and my K-7 is getting old.
09-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labnut Quote
Well, err, umm..., OK, I admit it, of course I want a new toy!
But this primeval drive must first survive some rigorous questioning.
yeah wives are great for that. Are you sure you really need another camera/lens/flash
QuoteQuote:
I am impressed that you still use your istD
The *istD is functionally, one of the best cameras ever. OK by todays standards it is slow, and 6 MP does not cut it, BUT it had really good image quality, excellent colors, and some features that got dropped in later models, specifically TTL flash, which for some cases is still preferred over P-TTL

It makes a great body for legacy lenses, and I have put a dial diagonal split image focusing screen into it. It makes for a light weight compact camera when you put an old MF 50mm on it, and it is still a pleasure to use in certain situations.

It is also arguably the best metering camera for manual aperture lenses. So again if you are into using old glass, it is really worthwhile.

09-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know some of you approach these decisions very analytically. Not me: if I have the cash and the impulse hits, I buy. At this point, I don't have the cash.
09-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When the marketers fool me into getting a new one
09-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Methodical and practical considerations well above the want for a new gizmo or the effect of marketing...

Certainly a feature for when I was a dSLR newbie, marketing and value for money were big players, but now it's quality and value for money.
09-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The *istD is functionally, one of the best cameras ever. OK by todays standards it is slow, and 6 MP does not cut it, BUT it had really good image quality, excellent colors, and some features that got dropped in later models, specifically TTL flash, which for some cases is still preferred over P-TTL

It makes a great body for legacy lenses, and I have put a dial diagonal split image focusing screen into it. It makes for a light weight compact camera when you put an old MF 50mm on it, and it is still a pleasure to use in certain situations.

It is also arguably the best metering camera for manual aperture lenses. So again if you are into using old glass, it is really worthwhile.
I can vouch for that as well.
My year-long fling with a third-hand, heavily used *ist D was quite memorable for the above reasons. I look back at many of my results with the *ist D and marvel at the colour and definition of my images shot with it. I even shot a few weddings and a fashion show with it and it shined!

I can only hope that the future K-5 will make me smile as much as that little gem did.
09-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Raylon

I am using a K200 with only about 15k shutter movements on it, and I am wanting to stick with Pentax. I really really really want video. I am used to 480 quality from a Canon S3IS, so any video for me is an upgrade. I am hoping the K5 has some great video options, that would make the deal even sweeter. And I got to use a K20 recently and I can't go back to one dial after experiencing that. Also will be looking forward to the 18-135 WR, exactly the kind of lens I have been wanting.
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I have a k10D.

My reasons for not upgrading is because I'm waiting for my parents and Christmas haha And because I'm broke =C
09-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Another possible Poll Option...

QuoteQuote:
"When you manage to convince your spouse that you deserve a new body since you skipped the last one."
09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Better image quality, faster frame rate, high iso performance and back up is my rationale. movie feature is ok, but i would be happy to pay less for a camera without it. When my K7 main circuit board failed I had to scramble for a backup. I suspect i'm sticking with Pentax, just waiting on specs and performance info. I'm not opposed to spending as the camera pays its own way. I do like getting max bang for the $ though.