Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the DoF control you can get with video is fabulous if you are into creative video at all. It also just plain looks better to everyone, but it is all manual focus.

If you really want faster AF, the K-r might be significantly better than either.

09-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Having used both, I'm surprised at how much more connected I am to the K-x vs. the K2000. The changes are minor but they make all the difference in the world. You know about the low light/high ISO performance of the K-x of course, but I also really like the improved user interface. With the K-x, most of the key features are much closer at hand thanks to the new menu:

Tap INFO, use the 4-way pad to move to the feature you want to adjust, and then the rear dial to scroll through the options.

I know that it sounds like a small thing, but it made a huge difference in usability.

I'd say that if you can sell the K2000 and thus get the K-x for a couple of hundred, go for it.
09-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Tap INFO, use the 4-way pad to move to the feature you want to adjust, and then the rear dial to scroll through the options.
Nothing new, K-m/K2000 does the same (you just have to press OK instead of INFO).
09-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Nothing new, K-m/K2000 does the same (you just have to press OK instead of INFO).
Your right, my brain must be fading...

09-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
I bought my K2000 early last Summer, not long before the K-x launched, and have been generally happy with it. The only complaints I have are low-light AF performance and inconsistent battery life. The former I've worked around by learning to use MF on such occasions and the latter seems to have been due to my cheap-skatedness in regard to batteries (eneloops are definitely worth the extra $$).

Anyhoo, the inevitable price drop of the K-x has me considering grabbing one (when the price drops to a comfortable level for me). It seems like spec-wise, it's 12 MP vs. 10 for the K2000. Feature-wise, it adds video (which I'd probably never use - I've got a decent compact HD video camera). Are there other differences in the specs or features that I'm not considering? I'd love something with an AF assist lamp, but doubt the K-7's price will drop low enough for me to bite the bullet.

So, in your collective opinions, should I stick with the K2000 and maybe add a new focusing screen (to aid in MF usage)? Or is the K-x enough of an improvement over it's predecessor to warrant an upgrade?
You can directly compare the K-x with the K2000 here:

Pentax K-x & Pentax K-m/K2000 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's good for Pentax if you buy a new camera every other year!
09-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It's good for Pentax if you buy a new camera every other year!
Damn it, I'm at one every 6 months... And seeing the K5, it may be replacing my K7 soon...
09-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #23

I handled the K200D that is with my brother after a long time after I was using K-x. Some how, I liked the feel of K200D more than my K-x. More solid feel. Autofocus was slow, but the pictures (on LCD at least) felt better

09-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter

I don't have the K2000, but I do like the quality of the sensor at low ISO, which is also in the K10d. I will probably never sell my K10d just to keep one camera with that sensor, sort of like keeping a few rolls of old film emulsions around. I especially like it with older mf lenses.

That being said, I have had more fun with the K-x than any other camera I've owned. The higher ISO capabilities are the difference between bringing a heavy external flash and not. With the compact Ltd lenses, it is a joy to carry, and I take it everywhere. I put over 10k actuations on it in my six months or so of ownership faster than any camera in 36 years of SLR photography including 3 previous DSLRs.
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Regarding low-light focusing, I find my Kx better than my late K10 and K20... But below the K7...
Ditto. Got the K-M because it was reported to be better for low light/tungsten light AF than K10. If so, I didn't notice it immediately. K-M still gathers dust as I shoot indoors with K-X (for ISO/DR) and outdoors with K-7 (for most everything else). Should put K-M/K2000 up for sale here.

Very, very happy with K-X. If I get the K-5 (likely), I could keep both K-X and K-7 as backup and loaners. Mostly because I'd be unable to decide which to get rid of. Hope cash flow will permit it. I really like the K-X.
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Damn it, I'm at one every 6 months... And seeing the K5, it may be replacing my K7 soon...
Even better, if you buy K-5 this year you can buy 645D next year.
09-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
Banned

Nope. Get a K20D. For the price, the best of the Pentax bodies.