Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #1

Any chance for an updated K-x firmware?

Hi there, experienced Pentax folks.

Do you think there is a chance that some of the K-r new features will make it back to K-x firmware?
Or the 1.01 firmware will be the end of it?

09-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't count on it. Unless there is some very compelling reason to do so, FW support for legacy models is usually dead once the New models are out there. I've certainly never seen them put generation 2 features into a generation 1 camera.

09-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax has never released a firmware update that brought features from a newer camera into an older camera. In fact, they have seldom released firmware updates for cameras that are no longer in production. A notable exception to that is the recent update for the K10D, but that was a minor bug-fix, having to do with certain SD memory cards.

I think that the only firmware update that Pentax would release for the K-x at this point, is if they introduced a new flash system that required it. By updating older cameras, they might sell a few more flash units. What you're suggesting, moving features from the K-r into the K-x would have the opposite effect: it would reduce the reason for someone to buy a new camera, and might impact K-r sales. Why would they want to do that?

But then, I've been wrong before.
09-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Normally Pentax will continue to release firmware to fix bug or improve performance for higher-end model, for example: *istD, K10D, K20D and K-7. For lower-end model, updating is hardly be available.

09-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arm_jstp Quote
Normally Pentax will continue to release firmware to fix bug or improve performance for higher-end model, for example: *istD, K10D, K20D and K-7. For lower-end model, updating is hardly be available.
the *istD is a higher end model?
09-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
the *istD is a higher end model?
When it was released it was. What was higher up in the Pentax lineup then?

09-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I guess if you put it that way you are correct. I just never though the *istD was a higher end model...and I love Pentax.