Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Event Photography: Which Body?

Hey I've got a decision to make here.

I want to do some event photography. Mainly to generate some funds and get my name out there as a "photographer".

Soon after I would like to be able to shoot fashion and commercial.

So here is my problem: Do I buy a K100D now for events, since it performs better at high ISOs and a K10D later for the fashion/commercial work.

Or do I just buy a K10D now and try to make do with the event work.

These events would range from parties in nightclubs, to daytime and night time concerts, as well as social events.

Does anyone here do event photography?

09-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Banned

The K10D would do fine.

Plus its always nice to be able to use TTL.
09-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To generate funds??? Well if you wan to do that than go work for a school photography company. Thats about the easysest and most secure way of "generating" funds through photography... Unless you got alot of clients who want to use you.
As for the Camera, Just get the K10D. The K100D is good, and you can get one as back-up, but you will be happyer with spending the extra $2-300 now and having faster and better AF FPS, SR, SDM, Weather seeling etc etc
Lenses, the 16-45F4 is fine for your needs (the DA*16-50F2.8 is faster, but do you need a F2.8 at that range, and for $300+ more? Probaly not), and spend some $$ for a Sigma 70-200 F2.8, or a nice Limited 70/77 and a 200 prime, OR the DA*50-135 F2.8 (You will need something in the tell end) And always good to have and not too expensive is the FA50 F1.4
Also just spend the money and get a AF 540 Flash, again a sigma, metz, or even the pentax 360 is ok as a back-up but I have realized that getting the best or second best (within reason) first saves more $$ in the end than buying whats cheepest.
As for getting your name out there... Ask other photographers if you can assist them, and learn learn, learn!
09-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
I am ordering some vivitar 285hv's for lighting along with a Gary Fong Whale Tail Reporter.

Sigma makes a 70-200mm 2.8 for Pentax?!?! that would be great.

09-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say the K100D is enough for you. Spend the savings on better glass instead. Unless you think dual e-dials, weather sealing, extra speed, and customizations is necessary for the type of events you plan to shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I want to do some event photography. Mainly to generate some funds and get my name out there as a "photographer".
However, if you're shooting events just because you can and not because you're interested in that type of photography, your creativity will be very limited.

If your goal is model fashion type shoots, that's what you should be focusing on from the get go imo. Lots of aspiring models out there and using that to build your portfolio would be much better than "this is what I did impromptu at a night club". At least then, you can apply your passion to show how you're better/different than every other competing photographer that's already in the biz.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
The K10D would do fine.

Plus its always nice to be able to use TTL.
K10D does not have TTL flash capabilities if that's what you're referring to.
09-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure you have said enough about each type of photography you want to do?

When you address day time, night time, stage lighting, parties ... it suggests you want to do it all.

What do you want to do FIRST is very important. as you expand you can perhaps add equipment but you need to consider what your first event will be.

For stage lighting (indoor and night), unless your subjects are boring statutes, or there are megawatts of lights, you should look for fast lenses (F2.8 or better), and 3200 ISO performance, because you need to be able to freeze moving images, and while shake reduction stops camera movement generated blurr, it does nothing to stop the subject from moving.

I am not sure which body actually has the best 3200 ISO performance (or even 1600 ISO performance). Perhaps someone can add that part.

What I use, and this has been for school musicals and dance competitions is an *istD (because I own it) and a Sigma 70-200 F2.8, allthough for some venues it is too long. I have not yet used my F1.4 50 mm but am considering it in future if I am close enough. I have shot some with my K10D, and it also performs well at ISO1600 and natural light, but you then get very limited on depth of field (you shoot wide open) and on shutter speed. It does not always have the range to work.

If you are going to use flash, everything changes, Same with daylight although a fast lens will work just fine, it's just heavier, but you can always stop down to limit exposure, you cannot make a lens faster if you purchase an F4-F5.6 and then need to do night shots.
09-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Sigma makes a 70-200mm 2.8 for Pentax?!?! that would be great.
I have one and see my other post, it works well, but I am not sure of availability.

There are also 50-150 and 24-70 F2.8 zooms, these might be better as the 70-200 is sometimes a little long for a small auditorium.
09-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #8

_event_ photography? with _one_ body? This doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

One of the only reasons I haven't been advertising myself for events yet is because I've only got my K100D. I don't think a K10D or K100D is required for events, but I do think it's a risky proposition to promise to document someone's once-in-a-lifetime moments with only one camera.

I've got a "day" job right now, but I do aspire to make some money from my photography as well. I'm hoping Pentax will release a K10D Super soon, and I can pickup a second body (K10D) cheap and only then, with 2 bodies, would I commit to photographing a time-critical "event".

What about getting your name out there with something less "moment-critical" like AVANT mentioned, like focusing on what you really want to do, like fashion/modeling?

If your camera craps out on you, you can always re-schedule a shoot, but re-scheduling a wedding, or performance is less realistic. The show must go on, as they say. Imagine telling someone who paid you to photograph their event that, "my camera stopped working, so I don't have any pictures to give you." -- ugh.

My "day" job involves supporting computers and associated electronics, and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that equipment always fails at the worst possible moments. Don't over-commit. Do what you can with what you have. My K100D hasn't failed in 10000k shots (posts soon!) but it might at any moment. That's the nature of all mechanical devices.

When I start shooting events, I'll have at least 1 K100, _and_ 1 K10.

-Chris

09-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Buy both, everyone here knows it's the camera that makes the photograph and you need to cover all the bases!

Hey I've got a decision to make here.

Soon after I would like to be able to shoot fashion and commercial.

So here is my problem: Do I buy a K100D now for events, since it performs better at high ISOs and a K10D later for the fashion/commercial work.

Or do I just buy a K10D now and try to make do with the event work.

These events would range from parties in nightclubs, to daytime and night time concerts, as well as social events.

Does anyone here do event photography?

Last edited by jfdavis58; 09-06-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
09-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i find that the K100D is better low light camera the asa 3200 works grate and gives a edge over the K10D asa 1600 i use both i keep my 80-200 2.8 MF on the K100D and the 70-300 4-5.6 AF on the K10D