Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shameless plug - some 3MP Android cell phone photos in my blog...

09-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by whbroker Quote
Wow! Just took photo of my wife with my new Ipod Touch 4G with less than 1 mg camera...then took same photo with K-x! WOW what a difference! The K-x blows it away! Seriously folks, appreciate what modern technology does...the K-x is fantastic and the Ipod Touch fine for fun....and that is the way it used to be with the small megapixel cameras. We have to appreciate how far we have come.
You realise this is not fully a result of the advancement of silicon technology but also the removal of design constraints. Your iphone's sensor is probably, in absolute area size. like less than 10% of the K-X's sensor size so its no wonder that the K-X sensor can pack more megapixels, has lower noise, and better dynamic range. The physical transistors in the K-X sensor are much larger and they also consume much more power.
09-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by whbroker Quote
I posted this item to point out how far digital cameras have come from my first Canon 2 mg to my new K-x. Also, the photo I took was with my new Ipod Touch the newest generation of Ipod Touches and has a less than 1 megapixel camera on the back for individual photos and also HD video (which is best). Don't over analyze! Just take it all in.
The way I read (misread) it, what you were saying sounded so blindingly obvious that I suspected sarcasm and thought you might be a troll. Please accept my apologies for misunderstanding your post.

Yes, we've come a long way. However, I'd point out that phone cameras are nowhere near competitive with real DSLRs and I can't see how they ever can be. My HTC Droid Incredible has an 8MP camera. Under absolutely ideal circumstances it can take a not too bad photo. But it can't compete with my DSLRs, or even with my Panasonic LX3. Having a larger, more serious lens really does make a difference.

On the other hand, as somebody points out, I can read bar codes with my phone! And I have even used my phone for geotagging. Since my K20D doesn't have GPS built in, I've occasionally taken a companion photo with the phone, and then manually moved the GPS info into the K20d's photos.

Will
09-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just got into a Corvette and it was amazing it was so much faster than my Ford Focus. I was amazed!

I know I'm being a smart a** here, but it really shouldn't be any surprize that any DSLR camera even a base line model would out perform a camera attached to a cell phone. If for no other reason think about the glass. Your cell camera has a 1/4 inch wide lens that is probably made of hardened plastic. A DSLR has a much, much better lens.
A camera on your phone is fun for snap shots or to attach to a text.