Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love hate relationship rant

I see the posts about lack of Pentax as seen as a real professional camera and the posts about the "vast" diversity of lens for pentax. I know these are somewhat two different topics but in a weird way to me, they are related.

Don't get me wrong, I love my K200D and look forward to the specs of the K-5, but I do feel often at photowalks and events with other photogs (and I hate that name too) like it is grade school with the conika crowd looking down at me and making sneers. I do find when I come across other pentaxians that it is a 50/50 chance that they are either an old curmudgeon who has dealt with the same issues, pushed it aside and says f-u to the world or a shocked and pleasantly surprised fellow enthusiast who welcomes a conversation to band together and fight the empire.

I got my first film pentax while in college because A) it was the best camera my folks could afford to give me for my courses and B) it was the one camera the camera shop (remember those things?) was pushing. Gradually I added another lens, apart from the kit lens and remained with pentax. Then digital came about and pentax, from what I read, was the only camera maker that was going to allow you to use old lenses. So I saved my pennies and got the D*st DL. I added yet another lens and was becoming more intrenched.

To this day I have yet to find these mythical yard sales and eBay offerings of old pentax lens for pennies on the dollar. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

However one disturbing tend I saw over at planet5D is conikans looking for pentax glass.

I read planet5d because we have a canon 7d at work to shoot video and stills, I couldn't recommend pentax for work because it wasn't considered a "professional" camera by those above my pay grade making the budgetary decisions and getting a pentax potentially serviced locally was an impossibility.

Back to conikans looking for pentax glass. It seems that pentax lens are so well made and much more affordable that they just buy custom ring mounts to use our glass! This was news to me and if you do an eBay search for Canon pentax lens adapters and you will find them. Same is true for a nikon search. From the few pentax shooters I have found and the forums, I don't hear anyone buying canon or nikon glass to mount on a k7. So the rarity and price of old pentax lenses goes up.

So on one hand I snicker at the fact that my camera and it's lens are so well made a conikan wants the lens for his/her film project and on the other, frustrated there is this attitude by the very same group of holding their noses in the air of self indoctrinated superiority. Sorry, but the multi-color kx never helps my argument of pentax not being a toy camera with these folks either. I know not all are bad, they are just not ed-u-ma-cated. I am possibly not hanging out with the right crowd.

It is encouraging that a Pentax only store does exist in NYC but I don't live there and it sounds too much when you refer to it like saying "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

I will go back now to trying shoot quality pictures and get off my rant.

09-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I didn't make it past the word sneer in your rant (as you call it) and barely skimmed the rest so forgive if I've missed the point.

After 4 years, I'm still waiting for someone to tell my why, I should give a shit, what the CaNikon crowd thinks of Me for using a Pentax..

09-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've learned the hard way that going to the rumors section just gets me angry, but sadly your job forces you to confront your hot-button topic regularly.. that sucks. I don't let the other fanfolks' bias get to me, as we should feel sorry for those who deliberately choose ignorance - but they're taking our lenses from us? I suppose I knew that at some level, but nobody had put it in front of me like this. I'd expect that those who use Pentax glass would be the sort who would not look down at us 'native' PK users - but I've never met one so it's just my best guess. I hope your rant releases all the negative energy and lets you get back to the joy of imaging.
09-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Peer pressure

QuoteOriginally posted by YossarianKL Quote
I do feel often at photowalks and events with other photogs (and I hate that name too) like it is grade school with the conika crowd looking down at me and making sneers. I do find when I come across other pentaxians that it is a 50/50 chance that they are either an old curmudgeon who has dealt with the same issues, pushed it aside and says f-u to the world or a shocked and pleasantly surprised fellow enthusiast who welcomes a conversation to band together and fight the empire.
My first thought was also that if it bothers you having old farts and naively passionate Pentax die-hards/fanboys/whatever owning the same brand of camera you do, then you know what to do.

QuoteQuote:

To this day I have yet to find these mythical yard sales and eBay offerings of old pentax lens for pennies on the dollar. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
Or you're looking in the wrong places.
Have you seen this forum's marketplace prices on MF glass?

QuoteQuote:
I read planet5d because we have a canon 7d at work to shoot video and stills, I couldn't recommend pentax for work because it wasn't considered a "professional" camera by those above my pay grade making the budgetary decisions and getting a pentax potentially serviced locally was an impossibility.
That matters nada to the utility of Pentax gear in getting good photos. But servicability does matter to a company/person that relies on their gear to perform all the time.

QuoteQuote:
Back to conikans looking for pentax glass. It seems that pentax lens are so well made and much more affordable that they just buy custom ring mounts to use our glass! This was news to me and if you do an eBay search for Canon pentax lens adapters and you will find them. Same is true for a nikon search. From the few pentax shooters I have found and the forums, I don't hear anyone buying canon or nikon glass to mount on a k7. So the rarity and price of old pentax lenses goes up.
Perhaps so.
Then again they are good quality glass too.

QuoteQuote:
The multi-color kx never helps my argument of pentax not being a toy camera with these folks either. I know not all are bad, they are just not ed-u-ma-cated. I am possibly not hanging out with the right crowd.
Again, this matters how? Let your results speak for themselves.

QuoteQuote:
I will go back now to trying shoot quality pictures and get off my rant.
Enjoy shooting, and perhaps you may find the K-5 living up to yours (and your peers') expectations... or not.

09-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YossarianKL Quote

I do find when I come across other pentaxians that it is a 50/50 chance that they are either an old curmudgeon who has dealt with the same issues, pushed it aside and says f-u to the world . . .
HEY! I resemble that remark!
09-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #6

I had a discussion with my girlfriend today. She shoots models and child photography with her 40D and has been enjoying her one L lens, a 24-70. Until I bought a Pentax. Every week I come over and show her a new $50 lens I bought. I snap a few to show her the image quality. She's impressed. Her whole world has been Canon L glass. Saving her pennies to get that one lens and then emptying her bank account to get it. At first she scoffed at me for getting a Pentax. "Get a Canon so we can share lenses, you'll save money!" she claimed. Going halfsies on a $1500 lens is not exactly saving money, considering the fact that I have to share it. Honestly, I bought the K-7 for the body size, weather sealing and the fact that it wasn't Canon or Nikon. They don't fit my personality. Well, today, she quietly said that she wants to buy a Pentax body so she can use my lenses and buy her own cheapies. Aha! Have I converted one? Almost... She wants to keep using Canon professionally but have a Pentax for fun. In my world, that's fine. Pentax = Fun.
09-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Pentax = Fun.
Not far from the truth. Good story.
Enjoying photography is what it's all about. And since Pentax is known for its fine glassware, then getting excellent results with the fun gear is a bonus.
09-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I was a photo-gear swap meet sort of thing, here in Melbourne yesterday, and besides finding another K-7 in the wild on the shoulder of a fellow Pentaxian, I had a conversation with a Canon shooter along the lines of -(while looking through a few old Pentax lenses)

me- 'Beautiful things aren't they?' Mr Canon - 'Yeah I buy them and use them with an adapter for my Canon'.

me - 'You buggers are forcing up the prices on Pentax lenses!' Mr Canon ' oh yeah well, um , err, mumble'.

I guess at least the quality of the lenses get the respect they deserve, even if the bodies do not.

Last edited by wizofoz; 09-19-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: insert location
09-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses are indeed of good quality but the abundance of lens adapters for Pentax to Canon or Pentax to Nikon is because the registration mark of the Canon or Nikon film plane is less than that of the Pentax so that attaching an additional adapter for the Canon or Nikon is possible.
09-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Pentax lenses are indeed of good quality but the abundance of lens adapters for Pentax to Canon or Pentax to Nikon is because the registration mark of the Canon or Nikon film plane is less than that of the Pentax so that attaching an additional adapter for the Canon or Nikon is possible.
Registration distances in mm:

Canon EF: 44
M42 / PK: 45.46
Nikon F: 46.5

A Nikon SLR cannot mount M42 or Pentax lenses and achieve infinity focus without a corrective optical adapter.
This is why Canon FL/FD lenses are depreciated. Their registration distance is 42mm (shorter than any contemporary mounts,) so optical adapters are needed, which people don't like because they degrade the image quality somewhat.
09-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

@op,
If your crowd sneers at your camera, you're in the wrong crowd. How about if you paste a HOLGA label over the PENTAX on your camera? Amaze the f*ckers.

C/FD lenses: I've just sold a few, and a few more are going. The folks who got a 50/1.4 SSC for US$68.50, a 24/2.8 for US$61, and a 200/4 SSC for US$25, are all probably pretty happy, as will whomever gets the non-SSC 50/1.4 for about US$50. Who buys them? Probably m4/3 users. There's this new food pyramid: I mod Nikon lenses for my Pentax. Canon users snap up Pentax glass, and Nikon and Exakta and Contax/Yashica et al. Oly and Panny m4/3'ers snap up the old Canon and Leica and Kiev lenses as well as all the above. Nikon is the universal donor; m4/3 is the universal receptor. I'm not sure what heritage glass the Sony NEX takes -- I haven't been paying attention there. But more-or-less-desired long-register lenses filter down to shorter-register cameras. It's so Darwinian.