Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazing. Look at the size of this camera. It's twice the size of K-x.

And $ 7000??? How technology improves, huh?

09-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, $7k for 6Mp FF cam that really on Canon were just getting into, but then *ist D came into being at a more respectable price.
Impressive historical perspective.
09-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I still say the MZ-S (and D) were the sexiest Pentaxes ever.
09-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the subject of nostalgia:

Of all the 35mm lens manufacturers to go under the one I feel the worst for is Contax. I have been using a Contax S2 lately and it still is one of my favourite in my top ten 35mm film cameras of all time, and the Contax Aria which possessed a viewfinder that by today's standard is stunning to behold, not to mention the aesthetics and ergonomics of Contax cameras.

I also felt sorry for Konica-Minolta, I actually bought a 7D when the announcement rolled in and I have used it from time to time and ergonomically it is a great camera, and one of the first DSLR cameras to be kitted with a decent 17-35mm f/2.8-4 zoom lens. I still have it.

And RF crowd, who can forget the almighty hexar RF? A camera the leicaphiles killed deader than hell for no good reason other than spite. In my opinion, the hexar is actually better than the M7 and it is still streets ahead of the Zeiss Ikon- though the Ikon has brighter frame lines than either of them.... the hexar has a better metering system than either of them.

where would pentax be if they did take the digital plunge earlier...it's very hard to say but my personal feeling is that they would have gone the way of Rollei by now.

09-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And RF crowd, who can forget the almighty hexar RF? A camera the leicaphiles killed deader than hell for no good reason other than spite.
Yeah. The meter and motor drive and "Oh my god, it's got a door!"

The Contax G2 was one helluva camera, as well. Responsive, solid, and with killer lenses. I wonder if Kyocera's ever thought about getting back into photography.
09-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My god, that body is big enough to BE A house.

:sarcasm:
I corrected your statement (bold), hope you don't mind!
09-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Yeah. The meter and motor drive and "Oh my god, it's got a door!
I KNOW. Leica even manage to get their M digital Camera to operate in similar fashion to their M series film bodies...you have to remove the base plate to change the battery and memory card. I think someone at Leica forgot to buy a new calendar...for the past ten years.

The Hexar RF Is fantastic, and it's actually slightly heavier than the M7 and the construction quality...I actually have a problem with this,they are both really good - certainly better than a bessa.

09-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I wonder if it could play Choplifter...
lol. I miss that game!
09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Where would they be? Nobody can really answer that question. However, one thing you could do is think about where some of the "also-rans" in the DSLR arena are today; those who were aggressive in the early 21st century.

Kodak.
Fuji.
Contax.
Konica Minolta.

They all had aggressive, innovative DSLRs in the first half of the last decade. None of them make DSLRs anymore. Two of them don't even exist as camera makers.

So yes... where would Pentax be had they gone forth with the MZ-sD?

They'd probably be bought over by some other company looking to get a foothold in the consumer camera business, oh snap!
09-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I KNOW. Leica even manage to get their M digital Camera to operate in similar fashion to their M series film bodies...you have to remove the base plate to change the battery and memory card. I think someone at Leica forgot to buy a new calendar...for the past ten years.
Well, you know - the removable base on the M-digitals is to ensure the sensor and memory card stay as flat as possible, which is just not possible with a standard hatch...

That film door fed into the FUD about the Hexar's flange-to-film distance, which was off by...by...well, it wasn't the same as Leica, when measured in nanometres.

That's what pisses me off about the CRF market - which basically means "Leicaphile" market. You are not supposed to make ANY concession to modernity. At all. Even if they're practical. With the removable baseplate on the M9, it seems it's more about "Leica hallmark" buttons than "practical" buttons. I wonder if the M10 will have a rewind knob (not crank,) which you'll have to turn 36 times to eject the SD card.

What I would have liked to have seen is the CRF market develop in parallel to the SLR market - with a wide range of cameras from a variety of manufacturers, in several price ranges, rather than keep it as niche market. I suppose that's a bit far-fetched, considering most manufacturers had abandoned the market long ago. But it would be nice to get them back into the mainstream.
09-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm well aware of what the CRF market is like, those people regard Canadian leica lenses as inferior when it has been empirically proven that they perform identically to their German counterparts. I sold my leica R equipment to some of those guys, the great thing is that they were willing to pay a premium on the mint condition camera bodies and super telephoto lenses I had...I cried all the way to the bank.

I wonder if the M10 will have a rewind knob (not crank,) which you'll have to turn 36 times to eject the SD card.
Dreams can come true. I would love a Pentax Me super/MX with a Full frame 16Mp monochrome sensor. It would have a winding crank but only to mechanically cock the shutter. The magnets they use for self cocking shutters take up a lot of space in camera bodies these days, If they did that and kept the ME super's viewfinder and physical size it would be so awesome.
09-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still say the MZ-S (and D) were the sexiest Pentaxes ever.
A+ I fully agree, best feeling camera in my hands ever (MZ-S)
09-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm well aware of what the CRF market is like, those people regard Canadian leica lenses as inferior when it has been empirically proven that they perform identically to their German counterparts. I sold my leica R equipment to some of those guys, the great thing is that they were willing to pay a premium on the mint condition camera bodies and super telephoto lenses I had...I cried all the way to the bank.

Dreams can come true. I would love a Pentax Me super/MX with a Full frame 16Mp monochrome sensor. It would have a winding crank but only to mechanically cock the shutter. The magnets they use for self cocking shutters take up a lot of space in camera bodies these days, If they did that and kept the ME super's viewfinder and physical size it would be so awesome.
Back in the day when those lenses were being manufactured here, they were considered to be superior to the German made ones. It's amazing how times change.
09-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I wonder just how cheap you could get a DSLR down to?

Still, yeah, I'd like to see a DSLR just cranks out RAWs, maybe JPEGs, ASM. Probably need a dial on it to work the apertures with modern lenses C'est tout. Don't even need an LCD, every bastard's got a smartphone with a bigger and better LCD on it than most cams. Stick a USB cable on it for tethering if you need previews.

If they can get it under $300, by gum, watch 'em go out the door.
09-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
They'd probably be bought over by some other company looking to get a foothold in the consumer camera business, oh snap!
Isn't it almost what happened few years ago between Pentax and Samsung?

In fact, the mental time travel can go three-ways. Either Pentax would have failed like Contax. Then of course, it is not something we would like to have happened. Alternatively Pentax may have succeeded, just like in modern days the take similar if not the same sensors and produce different and to some preferable imagery. Then, it could be that we would not have FF moaners and bashers, etc and Pentax might have reigned supreme having outdone its rivals. I think however that the more likely outcome is that this camera would be yet another of that period of time. Just like modern Pentax cameras - they have some strengths, some weak points and so on. You know - same old, different day kind of outcome...