Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I will REPEAT myself also.

TOO BAD THE SPECS ARE ON PAR WITH THE 60D and D7000!!!

So pricing higher than its nearest competitive models is a good strategy? I really hope the $1600 for body-only is exaggerated or the price will drop considerably by December (when I plan to upgrade from my Kx).
No one knows what the street price will be at the moment. Why does this even come up? We'll know what it costs when it's actually for sale, not before.
And the specs (other than the number of AF points) appears to be close enough to on par that only the pickiest of whingers would find fault.
Go take some pictures with your Kx and figure out what you need from it that you aren't getting now.
If what it isn't giving you is the pleasure of owning a Nikon, then go buy a Nikon. It's a pretty simple decision.

These devices have move far ahead of what all but the most specialized of photographers really need.

09-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #32

Of course comparing all and that to d7000 or others are valid(?),
as a compact body and prime lens lover I don't care about K-5 being -a tad- superior/weaker that much.
And why it is said that K-5 will not attract new users, K-r is there for that. Remember K-x 's success.

What Pentax means to me is there below and not only the camera specs. but whole system.
Yes it has flaws -flash,movie, etc.- but may I remind you those who have the same taste with me? Look at that beauty
not my gear : )

Anyway having a K20D,
this is the camera I've been waiting for.

K-7 is indeed a nice camera but it -almost- has the same sensor.
ISO was no better, so I skipped.

Now,
80-51200 ISO , vow, I hardly use above ISO800 , if i will have good ISO6400 that's 3 stops improvement for me. vow.

7 FPS , that's very nice. yes 8 images buffer is bummer.

SAFOX IX+ autofocus system ; I saw the K-5 AF video and that was in low light-ish, vow, I want it -remember I have K20D : )
with dedicated AF assist lamp - that is new to me still : )

1080p HD video, 3 inch LCD with 921,000 , 77 segment metering system , 1/8000 second, Built-in electronic level, ...

these are all new for me, and as an landscape, HDR architecture and macro shooter some are life savers. 1/8000 is nice for my f/1.4 lenses.

Maybe there are many K-7 owners who are not very excited.
But to me, and maybe to many K10/K20 users,
the K-5 is a no brainer upgrade.

All I wanted was significant ISO and AF improvements,
and there we have it -will wait reviews for sure.
So I am happy,
and I think I will get it with the 18-135mm, after a tad decrease in price

Last edited by apemen; 09-21-2010 at 02:10 AM.
09-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #33
music_lover

I will REPEAT myself also.

TOO BAD THE SPECS ARE ON PAR WITH THE 60D and D7000!!!

So pricing higher than its nearest competitive models is a good strategy? I really hope the $1600 for body-only is exaggerated or the price will drop considerably by December (when I plan to upgrade from my Kx).
maybe for you it's too freaking bad

Last edited by music_lover; 09-22-2010 at 09:11 AM.
09-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
yeah, well your a DI**HEAD For calling Pentax liars. As far as specs to 60d goes, the 60d is 5.3 fps and K-5 is 7fps, so i don't call that matching up very good, do you?
You should know by now that *Anything* with a Canon or Nikon badge stuck on it is superior to a Pentax anytime...

09-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fwiw..... just chatted with pentax u.s.... they k-5 should be released in october.... i did ask if they'd be offering an extended warranty .... they did not know if that would be offered... sort of close to release date not to know... but.... just gotta wait and see....
p.s. this k-5 banter reminds me of when new models of cars are to be released....everyone interested starts ramping up their respective adrenalin levels..... i've never taken the plunge and buy the newest offering from any manufacturer, UNTIL it has gone through it's respective paces by experts and real life 'users'....... let'em work the bugs out first before makin' me hawk out the dinero.... dave m
09-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #36
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
You should know by now that *Anything* with a Canon or Nikon badge stuck on it is superior to a Pentax anytime...
To some extent I will agree Canon and Nikon are superior especially their AF, BUT that that doesn't mean Pentax is bad and probably before all is said and done, i will probrably wind up with a d7000 because of previous Nikon gadgets from my previous D90. BUT I AIN'T JUMPING SHIP TILL I SEE REVIEWS on both cameras, and see which one is better, since they both have the same sensor.
09-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

well thanks for calling a fellow Pentax owner a "DI**HEAD", really nice job there. I never once mentioned or said that Pentax were liars, my concern is that they're pricing it too high since its nearest competitors are hundreds of dollars cheaper. Pentax isn't Leica, they can't get away with pricing cameras this way.

It is true that the Pentax worth heartedly beat the 60D in terms of FPS and weather seal, but what about megapixels, video modes, tilt screen? I personally don't care for those things, but I'm just trying to make the same argument as you are. And against the D7000, the only area that the Pentax is superior is size factor and possibly better weather seal. 7 FPS is nice, but the buffer of the K5 due to one card slot will likely limit to about 25-30 continuous shots; where as the D7000 will likely go much higher in total shots.

But again, I'm basically saying that the cameras are quite similar in balances out in their pros and cons. But the K5 is priced higher, which is unfortunate.

You're welcome A****LE
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

It is true that the Pentax worth heartedly beat the 60D in terms of FPS and weather seal, but what about megapixels, video modes, tilt screen?
Of course the K-5 cannot beat all the cameras on all specs. No camera does anyway. Against the 60D, it's no contest, the 2MP more are nothing against better ISO performance (if it materializes, let's see the actual tests), no WR, no alloy body, slower fps and Canon ergonomics. Against the D7000 it's harder since they share about the same specs, give or take for one or the other. The dual slot is no big deal IMHO, that's mostly a nice to have. Like 6fps vs 7fps, it's not important. When we see the actual performance of both camera it will be more clear which one has the edge.

09-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've said this more than once, but I'll say it again anyway. Pentax made a seriously boneheaded move several decades ago when the decided that they would be the cheap and cheerful alternative.
You say that as if they made the conscious choice of being cheaper. In the digital era at least, I don't think they had much choice. They are late in bringing new features or performance. They can only compete on price and features. That's the same in many markets, like cars for example.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It also got them a quick trip to Chapter 11 and a forced buyout from Hoya to stave off their complete demise.
Not sure about that. AFAIK this merger was forced by some shareholders. It didn't seem Pentax was in the red at that time. While Pentax always had a small market share they also didn't take huge risks. No mega marketing, small number of models, etc. They never had big flops AFAIK.
09-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #40
Veteran Member

You didn't read the next line I wrote huh ManuH?

I said I didn't care for those things, I'm just proving the same point you are trying to prove, that each camera has its strengthens and it balances out overall. If so, why does the K5 cost hundreds more?
09-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nv2QGktbw
you can see improvements right here
It looks good, it sounds good...let me see the official reviews and a few more photos before I stop drooling and begin thinking about buying one. Not to be the naysayer here, but I'm a "show me the money" kinda guy...
09-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #42
Site Supporter

I like my K-7 a lot, it's a great upgrade from my K10D. The K-5 looks nice and seems to address some but not all of my beefs/wishes. Unless something eff'ing *magical* happens with that sensor I'll almost certainly skip it and wait for the next update.

I'll still be kinda jealous of the rest of you kids that get one come Oct.
09-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #43

If K-5 really will live up to its specifications, it's definately worth the money. I just wonder how long will I have to wait to find it on croatian market. K-7 was announced in May, and not available till October.
09-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

If so, why does the K5 cost hundreds more?
Based on specs, I'd guess the K-5 doesn't cost much more than the D7000 to build, although on these matters the devil is in the details. I know Nikon benefits from higher volume sales but OTOH they also spend much more on advertising and store presence.

But price is not yet stabilized, there are many contradicting information about that. But let's say it's actually more expensive than the nearest competitors. If the stocks are piling up, Hoya will be forced to lower the price, if not then they have no incentive to please you with lower prices. I'm sure they have a lot of accountants that helps them to set the price competitively without having to lose their shirt.

According to Radu:
"Only 18000 units built per month much less than K20D (25k) or K-7 (20k). Also the new 18-135 lens will be made in a pretty high rate of 3000 units per month."

It's interesting to see that they projected lower production for the K-5. Maybe to make place to the K-x and K-r that are selling so well?
09-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
According to Radu:
"Only 18000 units built per month much less than K20D (25k) or K-7 (20k). Also the new 18-135 lens will be made in a pretty high rate of 3000 units per month."

It's interesting to see that they projected lower production for the K-5. Maybe to make place to the K-x and K-r that are selling so well?

I don't see any surprise in that at all. Any higher priced object is going to have a lower production output just by virtue of the cost / demand ratio.

Therefore you would expect to see monthly production figures something like this Kx > Kr > K7 > K5. Making adjustments for how far into the life of a product we are.

My two main gripes with the K7 are the AF and noise at anything above 800 ISO (and even at 800 in some cases). If the K5 has improved on those two aspects alone then I'll be in the queue ...... when the price comes down to a more reasonable level (ca. $1,200) in a few months time.

Same goes for the DA*18-135 - this is an almost perfect range for many shooters, myself included. If the IQ is there, the new DC motor is a reliable, and faster, improvement on the SDM and if the price is more reasonable that those quoted in some quarters, then I'll be a willing punter.

Supposedly it will be around $549 if taken as part of the kit with the K5 - compare that to the 599 in the UK (ca. US$900), if purchased on it's own, and that's almost a 50% saving on the lens right there and a major incentive to buy the kit !