Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
music_lover

Pentax K-5, A Must Have

Well, after reading the specs on K-5, and knowing my needs for a Small DSLR that I can carry where ever I go, and fast enough to do whatever I need. Weather Sealing is a plus for me, even though it is a WEE BIT expensive! I said to myself after reading the price "it is no different then buying a Canon 7D" which is a Camera I thought seriously about. On a more serious not, I think the k-5 just might spank the 7D out of this world.
I originally said I wanted the K-7, then decided to wait it out, and da** sure glad i did. My 1st DSLR was a Pentax istDL, and K-5 will be my next in Line.
I WILL be buying me a K-5, ONLY after I see it has actually been improved since I originally wanted the K-7.

K-5 Body
Pentax 18-135mm Lens (providing it is a good lens after reviews)
Pentax BG-E4 Battery Grip
a couple of primes
A wide angle lens, not sure which one, any suggestions

I believe i have found me a camera to keep me happy

09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can see improvements right here
09-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
Well, after reading the specs on K-5, and knowing my needs for a Small DSLR that I can carry where ever I go, and fast enough to do whatever I need. Weather Sealing is a plus for me, even though it is a WEE BIT expensive! I said to myself after reading the price "it is no different then buying a Canon 7D" which is a Camera I thought seriously about. On a more serious not, I think the k-5 just might spank the 7D out of this world.
I originally said I wanted the K-7, then decided to wait it out, and da** sure glad i did. My 1st DSLR was a Pentax istDL, and K-5 will be my next in Line.
I WILL be buying me a K-5, ONLY after I see it has actually been improved since I originally wanted the K-7.

K-5 Body
Pentax 18-135mm Lens (providing it is a good lens after reviews)
Pentax BG-E4 Battery Grip
a couple of primes
A wide angle lens, not sure which one, any suggestions

I believe i have found me a camera to keep me happy
Oh yeah, I'm in too... I believe the K-5 is a killer camera! It's not a matter of "IF" I upgrade from my K7, it's a matter of "WHEN..." I can't wait.
09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, this looks like it has upgrade written all over it. Money, money, money. Oh well......

09-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #5

I'm sort of pissed off since I just bought a K-x like a month ago and now they come up with this Seems like a good camera overall
09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I think the MSRP of $1599 for the body only ($1750 with 18-55 WR, 18-135 adds $540!) is a serious mistake. That is more than the current MSRP of the Canon 7D ($1499), The Canon 60D (at $1099) and the new Nikon D7000 ($1199 for body, $1499 with 18-135mm VR). Prices will drop, but why is Pentax handicaping the K-5 right from the start?

The pricing is NOT competitive, so the K-5 will sell to Pentax owners, but not new buyers. The camera looks like it corrects most of my complaints, but it hardly stands out from a D7000 with the same sensor or the D60 and 7D with higher res.

Last edited by wwfnk; 09-20-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Correct Prices
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wwfnk Quote
The pricing is NOT competitive, so the K-5 will sell to Pentax owners, but not new buyers. The camera looks like it corrects most of my complaints, but it hardly stands out from a D7000 with the same sensor or the D60 and 7D with higher res.
Perhaps you're notion that price is everything is misleading you to think this way.
If you sit and think about it, you'd quickly see that the advantages of price point competition are not always the best choice.

Try looking at it this way:

From a newcomer's perspective, Pentax is 400 dollars more atm. Why is that?
Most likely answer: DPRreview conducts in depth testing and they find the camera to yield superior colors and image definition across the board.

Consumer result... you pay for what you get.
Pentax makes better imaging products than the competition.

With this in mind, there is nothing wrong with being more expensive from a competitive stand-point. TBH. I think the entire price issue is taken way out of proportion in the end.

09-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree...based on the specs...this is a must have upgrade. On paper, it seems to address all the K-7's shortcomings. I can't wait to start seeing actual reviews of this camera....because on paper it looks like Pentax knocked it out of the park.

I won't be an early adopter....I'm currently satisfied with the images I'm getting out of my K7 and Kx so I won't feel the urgent need to get one one right away...plus I just don't shoot a whole lot in the winter months. However...come March-ish or so I have a feeling a K-5 will be in the stable
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

I think the MSRP of $1599 for the body only is a serious mistake. That is more than the current MSRP of the Canon 7D ($1499), The Canon 60D (at $1099) and the new Nikon D7000 ($1499). Prices will drop, but why is Pentax handicaping the K-5 right from the start?

its like saying why does a Porche cost more than a Lexus...they both 60MPH...They are not built the same

Well the 7d is an older camera with lower iso and Fps and senor. This new sony exemolor sensor combines CCD image quality with the high Iso of a Cmos sensor. best of both world. its a back lit sensor rather than front.
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I am NOT a newbie. I have owned just about every Pro and semi-Pro camera over the years and I recently retired as a reviewer of Computer Technology and Digital Cameras - so those I didn't own I have tested. Your comment is the off the mark.

I seriously doubt the K-5 will yield superior colors, AF speed, or shooting speed over a Nikon D7000 which uses the same sensor and an AF module from a family with demonstrated superiority - compared to the forever slower Pentax AF.

Just the possibility of getting accurate colors with the Sony sensor compared to the K-7 and K20D Samsung sensors would be nice, and a first since the Samsung sensors. My K-7 no longer has the yellowish cast of the K20D and color is no longer all over the place, but high ISO noise is still very lacking and color accuracy is still nothing special.

Pentax HAS to offer better value compared to Nikon and Canon to sell to new buyers and the new Sony stuff is carving out some incredible value points. At $1599 the K-5 is NOT competitively priced. Pentax did price it competitively in Europe with an 1199 EURO price, but US prices are not similarly competitive.

Yes you will buy one and be glad to get it, but you already have an investment in K glass. It's a shame to FINALLY have what appears a great all-round prosumer Pentax and price it so it doesn't compete with CanNikon - and the K-r doesn't compete with the Sony A55V or A33 or even the new Nikon 14MP Sony-sensor D3100. Pentax is NOT Leica, and Pentax USA needs to quickly do some price adjustments or market share will continue to shrink even with good products.

For me, Pentax has the most useful and flexible User Interface on the market, but that alone will not justify paying more for what has become a minor brand. The K-x sold because it was CHEAP and good (though it was still hard to forgive the missing lighted AF points). Priced more than Canon, Nikon, and Sony with the same or inferior features the K-x would not be the hit that it was.
09-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Perhaps you're notion that price is everything is misleading you to think this way.
If you sit and think about it, you'd quickly see that the advantages of price point competition are not always the best choice.

Try looking at it this way:

From a newcomer's perspective, Pentax is 400 dollars more atm. Why is that?
Most likely answer: DPRreview conducts in depth testing and they find the camera to yield superior colors and image definition across the board.

Consumer result... you pay for what you get.
Pentax makes better imaging products than the competition.

With this in mind, there is nothing wrong with being more expensive from a competitive stand-point. TBH. I think the entire price issue is taken way out of proportion in the end.

@JohnBee, I remember one of your friends mentioned earlier about waiting for the next Pentax camera that will give Canikon a run for the money. I think that certainly ring true here - perhaps, the D7000 or the 60D is the counter move for this; time will tell.
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why does Pentax have to offer better value? They are a smaller manufacturer with their own niche and they can price what they feel they can get for the product they are offering. People have been screaming for a K-7 with a better sensor, higher ISO and faster FPS, now they have it, but they don't feel like they want to pay for it. Pentax cannot win.
I am dumbstruck with the negativity and trolls appearing on what seems to be every site I visit. "I can't decide between the K-5 or the D7000", or "the D7000 offers better value" or "Pentax have priced themselves out of the market" and the usual "Pentax won't be around for long".
I am going away and putting my order in for late October and you what? while you are all fretting over this spec or that spec or a couple of hundred € or $ I will be out enjoying my new camera and using it to take shit hot images with my Pentax lenses.
Sorry for the rant but all this is just doing my head in!

ps with all these people jumping ship perhaps we might find some relative bargins in the marketplace. I doubt it though, as most of them will be looking to get top dollar to buy into another system.
09-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The K5/18-135 kit if marketed right will take some market share, the marketing aspect versus Nikon and Canon in the masses eye is a huge undertaking even the mighty Sony can't seem to generate good marketing vs Canon and Nikon when it comes to imaging.
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Banned

I think the MSRP of $1599 for the body only is a serious mistake. That is more than the current MSRP of the Canon 7D ($1499), The Canon 60D (at $1099) and the new Nikon D7000 ($1499). Prices will drop, but why is Pentax handicaping the K-5 right from the start?

D7000 $1199 at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD (Body Only): Electronics
09-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Sigh, the way the K-5 is priced, it'll be at least another 1-1.5 years before I ever upgrade.

I bought my K20D at the end of 2008 with the expectation of buying the following generation (K-7) at the tail of of its cycle but the specs on the K-5 look good enough to completely skip the K-7 and keep waiting until fall of 2011 at the earliest.