Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
yes the only K-5 flaw is the crippled video!

which i think they CAN fix with a firmware update. I hope they DO.

other than video, the k-5 seems perfect! (on paper at least)

09-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
I, too, am VERY curious if Pentax would be likely to a firmware upgrade to support 24fps video. Anyone think this may be likely? I really hope so, as I really would like to purchase this camera.
On videocams which have selectable fps rates, its very much under sofware control, I suspect it is possible to have this updated via firmware.
In any case, the K-5 apparently doesn't have production release 1.0 firmware yet.

There might be some hard-wired constraints though.....
09-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Let's hope there are no hard-wired constraints...!! I contacted Pentax customer service about it and only received "Pentax US has contacted Pentax Japan about the 25 fps in the K-5 and the US 24fps standard but as yet we have not heard if or how it will be addressed."

So ultimately, they will hopefully hear out our few cries and bring it a reality. I'd love to see 'em bring in some 60fps action, too.
08-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
Inactive Account

The solution I have been doing when i shoot Video with the K-5 is that I expose to an Illuminated Grey card on my iPad (which I metered at f4.0 25fps ISO 200, and then light for that like it was film. Then I adjust the exposure (+/-) accordingly.

08-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
The problem is that if you want to make your video in 24p, you will need to do some re-encoding of your 25p to 24p. This could be as simple as conforming your master to 24p; this would slow down the video a bit (24p-conformed video would run 4% longer than 25p source).

In short, for the average Joe with no serious movie editing skills, this difference shouldn't matter, as they wouldn't care much. However, for those trying to do serious editing, especially with multiple cameras, keeping the video synced becomes a slight issue that requires extra work in post.

- Jason
Sorry, but this is nonsense. There doesn't exist anything like "problem with video sync". If you work with multiple different cameras, each with a different frame rate, it doesn't matter. In the video editing software you work with time, not frame rate. You just choose the correct frame rate for your video layer and you choose the output framerate when doing the final rendering. The software does all the conversions to the correct frame rate for you when rendering, no extra work. Unless you would be using some archaic software that can't do layers of course. But if you're using multiple different cameras, I think you do it because of more advanced work and thus you have either Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas or Final Cut. Don't tell me that you're using Windows Movie Maker to make videos, because that is like... uhm.. a joke.
09-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
Oog
Forum Member

You work with frame rate, if you are a professional and know how to use timecode. You want to have all your video in the same time base, and either all non-drop frame or drop frame, at the editing stage.

But after that, your master is conformed to whatever output you are aiming for, whether it's a 24p master onto 35 mm film or a 29.97 fps HDCAM video tape. If you work solely on your computer, outputting to a digital file, for viewing on a computer or youtube, then I guess you don't have to care whether your final rendering is 24p non-drop frame or 29.97 fps drop frame. Just make sure your video and audio stays in sync in the end 8)

Last edited by Oog; 09-12-2011 at 12:20 AM.
09-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #22
Banned

People asked for manual control in video since 2009 with the K-7 so I would not expect any firmware for the K-5 for manual control in video. If you want manual control in video with a Pentax then get the Q.
09-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There must be a hardware reason why Pentax can't enable manual control. Otherwise, they are losing sales over what is a trivial software problem.

09-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #24

K5 Video Petition?

As a longtime devotee of Pentax hardware, from the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic in the 1960s to my current K5, I have respected the innovative approach to brand development demonstrated by the company. There is no doubt that the photographic capabilities of the K5 are superb - the video performance, on the other hand, is lagging behind the field. This forum and many others contain posts from K5 owners requesting manual control in video, H.264 and 24fps. On a recent overseas trip I was so disappointed with the video on the K5 I reverted to using my wife's Canon G11. On return to Oz I emailed Pentax Australia to receive the following response:

"We have passed your comments on to the R&D department of Pentax Japan.
Other camera makers have the obvious advantage in having produced cam-corders for sometime now, and being able to use this technology in their D-SLRs.
On the other hand our expertise at the moment is in producing high-quality still images and reducing the overall size of the camera - numerous reviews of the K-5 have supported this."

Does this look familiar? Several questions come to mind including:
How long has Pentax been including a DSLR video capability?
Why include video capability if it is to be treated as the poor cousin of stills imaging?
Has Pentax Japan taken note of the submissions and responded in any way?

It would be a great pity if Pentax went the same way as TomTom and their GPS GO1000 series. Rushed into production and released onto the market with so many deficiencies that the consumer backlash savaged both profits and share price. Instead of fully fixing the product TomTom recently released an updated model with more whistles and bells - the original owners are left licking their wounds attempting to find work arounds.Many TomTom owners have now migrated to Navman.

Is there sufficient interest in starting a petition for Pentax to update the video firmware of the K5?
What other controls/facilities would be requested?
Is this site the appropriate home for such a forum.

Last edited by pugwash; 10-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.