Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Creating a Photobooth with Pentax K-x

Hi Everyone,

I own a photography business and am looking into building a photo booth that I could rent out at weddings, parties, etc. I own a Pentax k-x and am trying to find a way to be able to use it for the photo booth. I've been searching all day for software (for taking real photobooth, high quality pictures not webcam ones) that would work with the k-x and be able to take pics, create the photo booth images and be saved on my computer or be printed.

Do ya'll know of any such software or know how to be able to use the K-x to do it? I'm stopping my internet browsing due to complete frustration with not being able to find anything.

thanks.

09-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

I guess anything is possible, but the K-x will not be the simplest way to achieve just that. For instance no current Pentax DSLR have tethering capabilities to connect it to the computer while shooting. If you really want to, you could hack together a solution with a eye-fi wifi capable sd card and trigger the camera via cable remote and have some custom made software do the rest.

For this particular task though I think you'll probably be better off with a compatible camera from Canon or Nikon and some ready made photo booth software like PSRemote, NKRemote or DSLR Remote Pro from Breeze systems. I own a copy of DSLR Remote Pro myself. I've never used the photo booth feature though. Check out their website at Breeze Systems - Digital Camera Workflow Software: Browser, Downloader, Canon Remote Capture for more info. For all I know there may be other similar software out there as well.

Pentax have some great cameras in their lineup, but it's all a matter of finding the right tool for the right job I guess?
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Might be difficult

Hi, I'm new here but I've been shooting Pentax for quite a while.

My son and I built a photo booth for his wedding. The good news is it was a huge success. People got in and really enjoyed themselves, and it show in the photos. I paid a lot of attention to getting the lighting right, which had a big payoff in the look of the images. Even the wonderful pro photographers who shot the wedding had a blast with it. They seriously considered leasing it from us for future weddings. Ours was too heavy and awkward to drive around, but I'm sure you would make money with a booth you designed for weddings.

The bad news: We had to use my son's Olympus 520, because that camera has a software developer kit available. He was able to write the program that took 4 pictures in a row, then output them 2x2 on a 4x6 page from a mini epson printer. Of course, we also stored the files, which we have used for 8x10s and a giant poster of the little pictures. We also used a custom interface board to allow a button press to tell the computer to initiate the sequence. It worked flawlessly at the wedding, and at one party afterwards, and then it started to give us trouble as the updates to the Windows computer inside started causing problems with his programming.

I would do it again, but I don't think I would go the custom software route again. In fact, if I could kludge together a solution using an eye-fi SD card and a wireless printer, that is how I would go. I think that would be more stable.

Come to think of it, I have a K10D sitting around, and the booth itself is still in great shape. So if you come up with anything, please do post it here.
09-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

For the K10D you might be able to use the source code for pkremote for full control. Pkremote is an open source utility for remote shooting with pentax (on linux). Of course you might be able to use Pentax remote assistant, if you can find a smart way to trigger your camera (without clicking at a certain spot on the screen) and then pick up every new image written to a folder on your harddrive.

Now if only Pentax would even bother to add tethering in their latest models.. not to mention trying to do it as good as Canon manages those tasks. Transmit raw in less than 3 seconds, full live view and manual focusing via usb is way cool.

09-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although kind of mentioned before and also not being a k-x your best bet would be to get your hands on a K10 or K20d and use Pentax remote assistant. then have what ever program you prefer to auto look into the folder where PRA3 is dumping the taken photos, then either you can alter, watermarked and printed or if you automate it with a script or find some plugin.

but in short, looks like a K10D or K20 is your best bet, if not have a look at the Wifi SD cards

Cheers
09-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.

So in regards to the wifi SD cards. How would I use those for the photobooth application? I assume the wifi cards upload the pics to your computer, and you'd have to be in a location with wireless internet? Would the programs that automatically create the photobooth images be able to use those uploaded images to create image with the caption and print/save?

Thanks for you help