Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-7 and I am not planning to upgrade at the moment, but the improvements announced in the K-5 seem to be exactly what is needed to fix the minor irritations with the K-5. I am particularly interested in the wider AF points (I have had problems with the placement of the current ones when taking quick shots in which there is no time to use the focus point and then re-arrange the format). The other main issue is image quality at high ISO, so it will be interesting to see what the reports are on the new sensor.

Regards, johnmb

09-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I cant sleep at night.
I check my email for updates.
I haven't been looking at my K-7 the same way lately.
Just think about the first unboxing video on youtube gives me some sort of anxious anticipation, hope.
My new lucky number is 5.
The root of 5 in Greek is Penta.
Coincidences seem to feel more like fate.
Things seem to be converging, aligning.
Just get these thoungs released before the Mayan calander says we're all doomed.

Jason
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I think I'm falling in love with this camera.

I will wait a bit for testing on the higher ISO, but I've started removing my K200D's from there cases, removed batteries, eye magnifiers, etc, etc and have put them in there original packaging.

I will make sure they are nice and cozy for there next home .... they have been VERY well taken care of ;- )

In addition my Pentax flashes will be departing, as I'm sure Pentax will have some major upgrades in this department ;- )

I'm deciding if I should sell my DS's also, great cameras, can't get much for them, but technology has way passed them by ... comparing my DS's to my K-x is like putting Muhammad Ali into a ring with Pee Wee Herman, somebody is going to get hurt and I don't think it's Muhammad Ali !

wll
Then you will like this news: Pentax K 5 Review Coming / Available at BH Photo - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

PentaxForums's K-5 is already ordered, and I think I'll be selling off and replacing my K-7 as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Then you will like this news: Pentax K 5 Review Coming / Available at BH Photo - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

PentaxForums's K-5 is already ordered, and I think I'll be selling off and replacing my K-7 as well.
How about the 18-135 kit?

09-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I am starting to crunch the numbers. Deciding which one have to go the K10D or the K20D and what lenses in order to afford the K-5.

Any advice on which one I should keep?
09-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm a wee bit disappointed... the price is going to be well beyond what I can afford at this time so I'm afraid I am going to have to wait a LONG time to upgrade from my K200D, which, I might add, I still love. I think I'll just concentrate on getting more good lenses.
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #22

My only concern right now is the official price for the K5, but I will wait a little longer from the launch day to see how the price settle down on market.

I may not move to Canikon and buy the K5 to use with my current lenses instead .... can't wait
09-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #23

I have 2 K10's and an original *istD and while I'd love to get a K5 I just can't justify the cost of a new body,when I'm still satisfied with the quality of the images I'm getting with my K10's. One thing that I am shocked by is the skyrocketing cost of lenses. I am so glad that I filled out my kit when I did I couldn't afford to buy them now.

09-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #24

I also have a K20D....and I'm in need of a second body....sooooo....guess I'll be getting the K5. To me it does feels like a nice upgrade.
09-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I think I'm falling in love with this camera.

I will wait a bit for testing on the higher ISO, but I've started removing my K200D's from there cases, removed batteries, eye magnifiers, etc, etc and have put them in there original packaging.

I will make sure they are nice and cozy for there next home .... they have been VERY well taken care of ;- )

In addition my Pentax flashes will be departing, as I'm sure Pentax will have some major upgrades in this department ;- )

I'm deciding if I should sell my DS's also, great cameras, can't get much for them, but technology has way passed them by ... comparing my DS's to my K-x is like putting Muhammad Ali into a ring with Pee Wee Herman, somebody is going to get hurt and I don't think it's Muhammad Ali !

wll
You are so right about the ist Ds and the Kx...I have them both. Still its hard to give away the ist DS as I don't think it will fetch a good price.
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
I am starting to crunch the numbers. Deciding which one have to go the K10D or the K20D and what lenses in order to afford the K-5.

Any advice on which one I should keep?
Sell the K20d.

The K10d/K200d's IQ at low ISO's is unmatched... It will almost surely have better IQ than even the K-5 at ISO 200ish
09-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #27
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Sell the K20d.

The K10d/K200d's IQ at low ISO's is unmatched... It will almost surely have better IQ than even the K-5 at ISO 200ish
How do you suppose this?
Any evidence that this Sony 16Mp sensor suffers in low ISO performance?
The rumour that the sensor was CCD would have given me some assurance in this but since it's CMOS it may well have similar low-ISO and long exposure noise issues. But there's nothing to vouch for this trend to continue with the new sensor.
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
How do you suppose this?
Any evidence that this Sony 16Mp sensor suffers in low ISO performance?
The rumour that the sensor was CCD would have given me some assurance in this but since it's CMOS it may well have similar low-ISO and long exposure noise issues. But there's nothing to vouch for this trend to continue with the new sensor.
I guess we'll have to see whose right and whose wrong now wont we?

(and I never said it will "suffer" at low ISO, it just wont be *as* good as the K10d/K200d at low ISO. Its not like my K-7 "suffers" at low ISO, but my K200d still beats it IMO)

Last edited by yeatzee; 09-23-2010 at 06:54 PM.
09-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #29
Site Supporter

It and the 645D both look wonderful, but you know what, my K20D still gives me a lot of pleasure and is probably still far more camera than I deserve.

Maybe I will win the lottery or win one as a give away........Hey, a guy can dream..