Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What to do?????

I have a K20D that I absolutely love, but in low light it's not the greatest in acquiring focus. High ISO is not that great either. ISO 200-640 is where I know grain won't interfere too much with the clarity of the shot (I am admittedly a pixel peeper!). I use it mostly for wildlife photography where these things don't matter because there is plenty of light available. But it would be nice to have a more rounded camera. I love the feel of it with the battery grip. It has a heft and balance that feels perfect. I love it with the DA 16-45, the Helios 44-2 and basically ANY other M42 lens that I have and my Sigma 150-500. I LOVE this camera!

Late last year I bought a K-x to fill the gap in low light and video. I am VERY impressed with the K-x's performance with the DA 16-45 and even the kit lens. Low light performance and higher ISO (up to 3200) is stunning. WOW!!! The feel and balance of the camera are wonderful. It just feels right. Video is a lot of fun, but I haven't pushed it with any long lenses in a wildlife photography situation. I have to overexpose almost 2 stops with M42 lenses, and it's hit and miss for a decent exposure because I have to change the exposure compensation dependent upon the f-stop of the lens. I really love this camera and between the 2, I can take a good/great photo in almost any situation. I use it a lot for landscape and indoor low light shots while I use the K20D for longer range wildlife shots.

My quandary.... I have been given the green light to upgrade to the K-5 and cannot decide on which one (K20D or K-x) to give to my daughter. She has a 2 year old son who I need more pictures of as well as a husband who loves photography and to whom I have given two 35mm Minolta SLR's. I really don't have to give one away. I guess maybe I should get the K-5 and see which of the other two cameras remains on the shelf after 6 months. Hmmm...... Anyone else out there having a problem with this?????

09-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not me, my daughters are only 2 and 3 years old
- But in Asian culture people would give away the camera they like most...
- Instead of, the food I got is terrible, please try, I will take yours...
09-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Joep,

Maybe I should take your advice, however I love both cameras equally...... Should I let my daughter and her husband choose?
09-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
Joep,

Maybe I should take your advice, however I love both cameras equally...... Should I let my daughter and her husband choose?
Having them pick sounds like a good solution (because you are getting camera you even love more then those two). If after some time you are disappointed with what they selected then you just offer them to change, can't you convince them the other is even better?

09-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #5

Interesting situation. I wish someone would have given me a camera early on. I believe that the important thing here is that the young person, learn exposure and learn a creative eye. Learn the limitations of the different types of lenses, my person favorite, the telephoto 2.8 And it doesn't matter what camera you use. But if you do, give them the older camera, and keep the better ISO camera. I love these Sony Sensors, they kick-ass, and happily awaiting the future of Pentax. Love the the K-x. Check Dxomark for sensor ratings.
~lates
09-21-2010, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

keep it simple and give them the simple camera, Kx. Why that one you ask; they have kids, they'll need the video and low light features, kids are fast and not using flash keeps the shooter un-noticed, even though your son-in-law is an entusiast, your daughter might not be so the simple the camera when in her hands the better experience for everyone.

Last edited by Clicker; 09-21-2010 at 12:13 AM.
09-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
keep it simple and give them the simple camera, Kx. Why that one you ask; they have kids, they'll need the video and low light features, kids are fast and not using flash keeps the shooter un-noticed, even though your son-in-law is an entusiast, your daughter might not be so the simple the camera when in her hands the better experience.
But than yourself just upgrade to K-r? (K-5 is pretty big&heavy)
09-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The K5 on paper is better than both the Kx and K20D, it's not much heavier than the K20D nor is the volume much more than the K20D with grip.It's similar to the K7 which is smaller than the K20D.

09-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The K5 on paper is better than both the Kx and K20D, it's not much heavier than the K20D nor is the volume much more than the K20D with grip.It's similar to the K7 which is smaller than the K20D.
But K-x is (imho) "MUCH" smaller than K-5
09-21-2010, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Hi fccwpe,

If it were me, I'd give the Kx. I currently use a K20 and a K-7 side by side, and the commonality between the user interface makes switching from one to the other a lot easier. I access controls a lot, and having the two wheels has just become part of the way I work in the field.

I also have a DS and a K100DS, and Ive found that switching between one of these and the K-7 is sometimes confusing to my little brain. . .

To me, the way the camera handles is more important than the IQ differences between these two bodies. With the K-5, you should still get the high ISO performance, and the K20 would give you the handling advantage in situations that you don't need the sensor sensitivity.

Of course, YMMV. . .

Scott
09-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If they handle the same then you only need one of them?
09-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heyall,

Thanks for the responses!

Joep, I love the feel of the K20D with grip. Hefty but very well balanced. I plan on getting the grip with the K-5 as well. As far as only needing a single camera, I go out in the field about once a week and changing lenses on a single camera is a pain. Especially between the DA16-45 and the Sigma 150-500. You almost have to have a table. First the massive Sigma comes off and I place it under my arm. While I prepare the DA16-45, the camera just dangles. I put the DA16-45 on the camera and all the while the rear cover is off the Sigma. After a few shots I have to switch back again to shoot wildlife. Dust gets everywhere. Time consuming, camera and lenses get dust in them awkward. I must have 2 cameras or risk dropping a lens at some point as well.

Snostorm and Clicker,

I think I may take your advice. I am pretty good at manipulating the K20d on the fly and switching back and forth between the K-x and K20D I search for the raw button that's not there or the flash button that's in another location. The K-5 should fill the gap for low light and video as well.

All great inputs! Thanks again all!!
09-21-2010, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

keep it simple and give them the simple camera, Kx. Why that one you ask; they have kids, they'll need the video and low light features, kids are fast and not using flash keeps the shooter un-noticed, even though your son-in-law is an entusiast, your daughter might not be so the simple the camera when in her hands the better experience for everyone.
This about sums up my thoughts too; the K-x will get you those photos of the kids that you really want, and some video too. I don't see how you can go wrong there! The K20d will likely be a better compliment to the K-5, and the overall accessibility will be more consistent between the two for your own uses.
09-21-2010, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Give the K-x. It will produce more keepers in more diverse situations, especially with photos of 2 year-olds.
09-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Give the K-x. It will produce more keepers in more diverse situations, especially with photos of 2 year-olds.
I agree especially with the faster AF and low light capability of the K-x.

Thanks!