Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Typos, typos, typos. We won't really know until we get the camera.

However, judging by the youtube video here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114977-pentax-k-5-offi...ml#post1187983

The buffer is probably 40 JPGs, just like in the K-7.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Is it that hard to stick more memory in a camera for a larger buffer? Isn't memory quite cheap now, or do they some special type?
09-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #18

Reliability/Operability - Nikon D7000 | Nikon
K-5?????????????PENTAX
Looking at the charts above the d7000 is not that much better and when one takes into account the file sizes it is worse. 10 v 8 frames for RAW files and 31 v 22 files for highest quality JPEGS. Look at the files sizes though. The K5 file sizes are much bigger. The higest quality JPEGs are listed at 16MB v the D7000 7.8 MB and RAW files on the K5 look as if they are much larger than the D7000.
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Looking at the charts above the d7000 is not that much better and when one takes into account the file sizes it is worse. 10 v 8 frames for RAW files and 31 v 22 files for highest quality JPEGS. Look at the files sizes though. The K5 file sizes are much bigger. The higest quality JPEGs are listed at 16MB v the D7000 7.8 MB and RAW files on the K5 look as if they are much larger than the D7000.
From what I understand, different companies append different info to their raw files. For example the data necessary for the built in distortion correction was appended to the raw files in the K-7. Both are 14 bit cameras with the same mp so bit for bit the image info should all be equal.

09-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isn't the max fps based on a subject that isn't moving? In other words, when shooting something that isn't static won't the camera be shooting less than the max fps anyway which would have the effect of the buffer not filling up so quickly in real world shooting. Perhaps this wouldn't apply in shooting situations where you manually set focus and want a high frame rate for slow mo purpuses liek dropping something into a glass of water and wanting to capture water droplets, but I'd think a second worth of shooting would be plenty of time. Not to say that it wouldn't be better for there to be a larger buffer, but I'm not too sure it would be a big deal for me if it stayed at 8 max raw pics.
09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Is it that hard to stick more memory in a camera for a larger buffer? Isn't memory quite cheap now, or do they some special type?
For this application, it has to be high-speed, high-quality solid state memory that can't corrupt under any circumstances. On top of it, it has to be low-voltage and low energy consumption. So I don't believe it gets cheaper in the same rate like the technologies used in, e.g., SD cards.
09-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
For this application, it has to be high-speed, high-quality solid state memory that can't corrupt under any circumstances. On top of it, it has to be low-voltage and low energy consumption. So I don't believe it gets cheaper in the same rate like the technologies used in, e.g., SD cards.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Isn't the max fps based on a subject that isn't moving?
K-5 has 2 options for AFC - focus priority, so it won't click until focus is achieved (so won't achieve 7fps unless shooting static subject), or fps priority, in which case it'll just click away at, I presume, 7fps.
09-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It has been confirmed by Pentax Jap...

QuoteQuote:
Max. 7.0 fps, JPEG (16M: starstarstar at Continuous Hi): up to 22 frames, RAW: up to 8 frames
Max. 2.0 fps, JPEG (16M: starstarstar at Continuous Lo): until SD Memory Card is full, RAW: up to 12 frames
PENTAX K-5 The flagship model of PENTAX K digital SLR camera series, offering high-quality images and user-friendly operation to satisfy the demands of advanced amateurs

09-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Funny, can't remember anyone complaining about the slow continuous of 3 being too fast or too slow. But 2fps is too slow.
09-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Thanks.

K-5 has 2 options for AFC - focus priority, so it won't click until focus is achieved (so won't achieve 7fps unless shooting static subject), or fps priority, in which case it'll just click away at, I presume, 7fps.
I suspect firmware tweaks will get it closer, but there was a video of the K-5 in focus priority and fps priority and it was like 3 vs 4 fps.

The subject was pointing at different walls or something which is a lot different than say real action with more predictable movement away/towards the camera, however. I suspect both numbers will be better in a real situation.
09-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It all boils down to the type of photography I will likely continue doing for quite some time:

BIF, which requires good AF, especially AF-C, and good buffer size.

I assume that I would be using AF-C, focus priority in that case.
If I can get 2 to 4 good images within a one-second time frame, I will consider myself lucky and happy.
Multiply that by a couple of seconds of burst, and that would give me 4 to 8 good images. I sure cannot achieve that at the moment with either my K20D or my K5.

The memory card I currently use is an 8Gb Class 10 SanDisk Extreme III which should be able to handle it. This is what I would use if I had the K5, I suppose.

We will soon be able to tell, according to Adam, when he gets the K5 and K-r for testing.
I am hoping that the K5 will be thoroughly tested in AF-C with moving subjects moving toward the camera. This will tell whether the buffer is up to par and if the AF-C performs better than in previous models.

JP