Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Programmable RAW button

One of the things I noticed in the K-5 release is that the RAW button is user programmable. I never, ever use the RAW button so I think I might like to use that feature, but I haven't noticed any way to do that on my K-7. Does anyone know if reprogramming the RAW button is possible on the K-7 and if so how?

Otherwise that would be a great firmware update...

09-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope, it's not available on the K7...
I'm a RAW shooter, so this button is pretty useless on my K7... As it was on my K20 before, and the K10 before that...
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

I must not understand what you needing. The programming for the RAW button on the K7 is in the Rec Menu Mode 4. Again, I apologize if this is not what you are seeking.
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zerodaze Quote
I must not understand what you needing. The programming for the RAW button on the K7 is in the Rec Menu Mode 4. Again, I apologize if this is not what you are seeking.
In K-7, you can change how the RAW button works (as you mentioned above) - but all the options are related to changing from RAW - JPEG - RAW+ etc.

In K-5, you can program the RAW button for other functions, functions that are totally unrelated to RAW (they call it the Fx button).

09-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
In K-5, you can program the RAW button for other functions, functions that are totally unrelated to RAW (they call it the Fx button).
That makes sense. Sorry for not quite getting it!
So... what functions would Pentaxians like in a totally programmable button?
09-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zerodaze Quote
That makes sense. Sorry for not quite getting it!
So... what functions would Pentaxians like in a totally programmable button?
This looks like a really cool feature. Have to see what it can be set for....hopefully like One-Touch Exposure Bracketing, ISO Bracketing (K-5 has this, I'm told) etc.
09-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Nope, it's not available on the K7...
I'm a RAW shooter, so this button is pretty useless on my K7... As it was on my K20 before, and the K10 before that...
It needn't be useless, even as a raw shooter., I'm sure just occasionally you still shoot a photo that's not intended to be a keeper, or which you want to share immediately as well as keeping. I know I do, even though I'm a raw shooter too.

What I did is simply set my raw button to switch back and forth between raw, and raw+jpeg. Now when I want a quick throwaway JPEG, I don't have to delve in the menus to get it, or develop the raw in playback mode / on my PC.

09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Have to see what it can be set for....hopefully like One-Touch Exposure Bracketing, ISO Bracketing (K-5 has this, I'm told) etc.
Exposure bracketing, Digital preview, Electronic level, and Composition correction. Could be more, I don't yet know about.
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A feature I have rarely used but would like to see available would be catch in focus - having to delve into the menu for this feature, I never remember to give it a try and think it would be useful as a quick toggle.
09-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Forum Member

Actually, a button that would toggle through the mode dial (program, Sv, Tv, AV, etc.) would be handy.
09-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Exposure bracketing, Digital preview, Electronic level, and Composition correction. Could be more, I don't yet know about.
I was thinking exposure bracketing, but I like your other ideas as well.
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by breischl Quote
I was thinking exposure bracketing, but I like your other ideas as well.
They're not my ideas, they're what Pentax has publicly stated is available for the Fx button. That's why I said there might be more -- I can't be sure they've listed every possibility.
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
They're not my ideas, they're what Pentax has publicly stated is available for the Fx button. That's why I said there might be more -- I can't be sure they've listed every possibility.
Well, um, good citation then.
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Albums
What I'd find useful is being able to set a button to bring up the SR control for entering the focal length of the lens - it would make it much easier to use older zooms. Now it's faster to turn the camera off and back on than to waddle through the menus. A button press would make it more efficient.
09-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #15

Just being able to assign it to SR on/off would be a start please