Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the K-5 use AAs?

I have a K200D and really enjoy the convenience of being able to use AA batteries, which are available everywhere. I lay in a supply of lithiums and don't worry about recharging.

Question: Is there any sort of adapter that will allow the new K-5 to accept AAs like the K-7?

John

09-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes- it uses the same grip, so as long as you pick the AA insert, you can use AAs!

Pentax Battery Grip BG-4 for K-5 and K-7 - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Wait, Adam, are you talking about the grip or using the batteries in the body? I think John asked about the later.
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was responding to the OP. See below:

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
K-5 to accept AAs like the K-7
The K-5, like the K-7, only accepts AA's through the BG-4 grip. The body itself doesn't.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, grip is a sort of adapter.
09-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have a K200D and really enjoy the convenience of being able to use AA batteries, which are available everywhere. I lay in a supply of lithiums and don't worry about recharging.

Question: Is there any sort of adapter that will allow the new K-5 to accept AAs like the K-7?

John
As Adam states, the only way to use AA batteries with the K7/K5 is with the grip. There is no body adapter (like the one on the Kr) available to use them, it only uses the Li-90 proprietary battery. The Grip comes with two trays, one for the proprietary and one for 6x AA batteries. Aftermarket grips are available for $50-$60. Some people use them happily, I chose to go the Pentax route for $175.

09-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As Adam states, the only way to use AA batteries with the K7/K5 is with the grip. There is no body adapter (like the one on the Kr) available to use them, it only uses the Li-90 proprietary battery. The Grip comes with two trays, one for the proprietary and one for 6x AA batteries. Aftermarket grips are available for $50-$60. Some people use them happily, I chose to go the Pentax route for $175.

I imagine you went Pentax for the weather-sealing and the full second set of controls, which is what I did when I went with a Pentax grip for my K10D.
09-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #8

John
I think that what you are looking for (apart the Grip) is a sort of PENTAX D-BH109 similar to the one released for the Kr. Unfortunately I do not think that it is compatible and/or available at least here in Europe. you can see a picture in Flicker here:
K-r AA battery adapter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
or here in the Kr
K-r AA battery adapter in place | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards,
Ant

09-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The only "adapter" is the D-BG4 battery grip.

Anyway, rechargeable proprietary batteries make worries only when you have only one battery. Therefore I always buy second battery. Then one battery stays in the camera until it's depleted and second one, fully charged, stays in my pocket. When battery in camera is depleted, fully charged battery goes from my pocket to my camera and depleted battery goes from a camera to a charger and then, fully charged, stays in my pocket.
09-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
The only "adapter" is the D-BG4 battery grip.

Anyway, rechargeable proprietary batteries make worries only when you have only one battery. Therefore I always buy second battery. Then one battery stays in the camera until it's depleted and second one, fully charged, stays in my pocket. When battery in camera is depleted, fully charged battery goes from my pocket to my camera and depleted battery goes from a camera to a charger and then, fully charged, stays in my pocket.
That is not the only issue with proprietary batteries. You have to take a charger along with you when you travel, rather than just buying AA batts as needed. As I have mentioned before, I once took out the fuse (and my charger) in an older European hotel with a proprietary charger for my GPS. After that, the GPS was worthless for the remainder of the trip. Once you start taking a computer, phone, camera, GPS, Ipod, etc., etc. you can quickly create a tangle of chargers and adapters.
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

All Pentax chargers I have seen have a built in transformer and there is no need to worry about any voltage differences other than 110-240v...pretty much worldwide as far as I am aware. I use mine all over the world with a simple plug adapter. If you plug it into an eternal transformer and then into the electricity source, you may have a problem. (same as any device). Most wall plugs/chargers, etc are dual voltage nowadays.

Jason
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. That answers my question. Looks like I'd have to spring for another $200 or so on top of the price of the camera to get AA battery convenience. Time to start saving the dough...

John
09-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That is not the only issue with proprietary batteries. You have to take a charger along with you when you travel, rather than just buying AA batts as needed. As I have mentioned before, I once took out the fuse (and my charger) in an older European hotel with a proprietary charger for my GPS. After that, the GPS was worthless for the remainder of the trip. Once you start taking a computer, phone, camera, GPS, Ipod, etc., etc. you can quickly create a tangle of chargers and adapters.
When I got my K7 I stuck 6 fresh Energizers into the grip so that I could play with it while the supplied battery was charging. I got most of the way through setting the camera up before the batteries died.
I somehow feel that buying AA batteries as needed rather than taking a charger (which is what I do) is going to work very well.
To be fair, I don't take most of the electronics that most people take with them when traveling. I leave the laptop at home, I generally just have my phone, which is GPS capable most places now.
My GPS stays in the car.