Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 vs K-R

I'm relatively new to Pentax; currently using K-7 & K100 Super. Dual system user--also have Nikon D80. Love Pentax's primes (43mm & 77mm), and in-body VR. Not so impressed with high ISO & slower autofocus. Sometimes think I should go back to Nikon, especially now trying to get into event photography.
Question--would you expect K-r to have comparable autofocus to K-5? If this question has already been addressed, please forgive.

09-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In press release you can read that also K-r auto-focus has been updated, so it same generation as K-5, but to early to compare in details, for that you have to wait until both are reviewed in comparable situations.
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bushwhacker09 Quote
I'm relatively new to Pentax; currently using K-7 & K100 Super. Dual system user--also have Nikon D80. Love Pentax's primes (43mm & 77mm), and in-body VR. Not so impressed with high ISO & slower autofocus. Sometimes think I should go back to Nikon, especially now trying to get into event photography.
Question--would you expect K-r to have comparable autofocus to K-5? If this question has already been addressed, please forgive.
Bushwhacker,

Yes, I expect the autofocus on the K-r will be comparable to that on the K-5, if not quite equal to.

I too have been thinking seriously about what to buy. The K-r keeps popping up to the top of my list because of its reasonable price and generally excellent specs, and then it drops back down for a fairly trivial reason, namely, the lower resolution. I might be able to overcome this objection; 12MP really is fine. It's just that I'm used to 14MP with my K20D. Decisions, decisions.

My feeling though is that Pentax is more truly competitive at that lower price-point, for those buyers like yourself who are free to pick one brand or another. Maybe Nikon has a camera that can match the K-r for build and performance but I'm not aware of it. The higher-priced K-5 is a fantastic camera on paper, and probably in real-life, too. But the announced price is discouraging.

Will
09-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
If the K-r autofocus is equal in performance to the K-5, I would seriously consider it. I had a K-x, but sold it ONLY because I couldn't get past the lack of visible focus confirmation. The announced price for the K-5 does seem high.
I'm also very interested in seeing some data on the new 18-135mm lens.
Thanks for the reply.

09-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The good thing about only buying the K-r? It will be your fastest for sure!!!
09-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K5 by a landslide.
09-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the same autofocus module in both cameras, the K-5 just adds an external light source sensor that allows it to correct for light source type when determining focus.

So yes, I'd expect them both to have similar performance, but I'd expect the K-5 to have the edge in terms of AF accuracy in difficult lighting conditions.
09-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

At the K-r auto focus assist beam (like K-7 and K-5) will bring it also close in low light conditions without using the pop-up (or external) flash

09-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The other thing that isn't mentioned is that Pentax tends to put stronger screw drive motors in their upper end cameras. The K7 really pushes screwdriven lenses pretty fast -- faster than the kx/k2000 did in my experience. This of course doesn't apply to SDM driven lenses.
09-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r is to the K-5 as the K-x is to the K-7, except that the K-5 also wins in terms of high-ISO performance this time around.

We will be posting a comparison chart once all the specs are finalized.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-r is to the K-5 as the K-x is to the K-7, except that the K-5 also wins in terms of high-ISO performance this time around.

We will be posting a comparison chart once all the specs are finalized.
Specs finalized, you mean comparison test results in same conditions with both camera's?
09-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No, the comparison chars are just for the technical specs. There is still some doubt as to how large the K-5's buffer is.
Here is example of a current chart: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110936-pentax...-compared.html

Pentax states that it's 22 frames at 7FPS- yet in practice, you will rarely ever reach that framerate. As we saw in the K-5 AF.C video, it had no trouble capturing the 37 frames it took over the course of ~9 seconds at ~3.5 FPS.

We will be doing a "professional" review of the K-5 as well as the K-r once we receive the bodies.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just confirming something you mentioned--K-r will have focus assist lamp that was missing on K-x? I quickly scanned dpreview's preview article & pics, but could not tell for sure if it's got a lamp or not. If it does, this baby might be a real jewel.
09-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Bushwhacker,

Yes, I expect the autofocus on the K-r will be comparable to that on the K-5, if not quite equal to.

I too have been thinking seriously about what to buy. The K-r keeps popping up to the top of my list because of its reasonable price and generally excellent specs, and then it drops back down for a fairly trivial reason, namely, the lower resolution. I might be able to overcome this objection; 12MP really is fine. It's just that I'm used to 14MP with my K20D. Decisions, decisions.
Imaging resource found they could print larger sizes from the K-x than the K-7 (!), in their tests. For me, once cameras deliver images capable of being printed larger than A2 - possible from both K-7 and K-x - the resolution is pretty academic.

A better reason to buy the K-5 is the big viewfinder, and sturdy metal WR construction, twin wheels and top dial. These things are luxuries really, but wonderful to have (hence my decision of the K-7 over the K-x).
09-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just confirming something you mentioned--K-r will have focus assist lamp that was missing on K-x? I quickly scanned dpreview's preview article & pics, but could not tell for sure if it's got a lamp or not. If it does, this baby might be a real jewel.
Yes, it does have a dedicated lamp. It is visible in all the photos in the same spot where the K-5/K-7 have it. It is also documented here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/113820-pentax-k-r.html

Adam