Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

remote control not working

My remote control will not make my K20D fire. I have it set to remote control in the drive mode. I halfway depress the shutter on my camera to focus and make sure it's in shooting mode, not playback mode, but when I hit the button on the remote, a red light flashes both on the front of the camera and also the red light to the left of the back AF button. I believe after several attempts, I was able to make it fire once, but I'm not sure what caused it. This was setting up a family photo and I was pointing the remote right at the camera, not from a funny angle. We ended up having someone else press the shutter, but in my more recent attempts to play with it, I still can't make it fire.

I guess since the remote is making the red light on the camera blink, at least that means it's sending some sort of signal. Do I need a new battery in the remote?

09-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you had the camera in self-timer mode. There are two different settings, as far as I recall- instant release, and 12-second self-timer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Adam has it right but if you were using the remote in strong light, it's possible that the strong light overwhelmed the infrared signal of the remote. I've had this happen to me.
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Turns out the red light goes on when you put it in remote mode. Actually I remembered a few months ago I'd let the remote go through the wash in my jeans pocket (didn't go through dryer). It worked after that, but I guess I should have not assumed no water got in. I opened it up, cleaned corrosion off with vinegar, and bought a new battery ($5). It works. Thanks for responses.

09-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I haven't been able to use my remote for bracketing. If there is a way to do this. I like to know it.
It will still bracket with the remote, but I have to press the remote three times to get the three different exposures. Just holding it down, like you do with the button, doesn't work.

Last edited by Ron Kruger; 09-22-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Adding info
09-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I haven't been able to use my remote for bracketing. If there is a way to do this. I like to know it.
It will still bracket with the remote, but I have to press the remote three times to get the three different exposures. Just holding it down, like you do with the button, doesn't work.
You should probably start a new thread for that. You'll get more responses!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: