Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #16

Original Poster
I think that to be able to draw more relevant conclusions we need a sample with a different subject, more detailed and with all the color spectrum.
Anyway this is a good starting point.

One note for WerTicus: we are dealing with raw files here. I don't think we can take the NR step out of the process of "developing" an image. Anything above ISO 400 pretty much needs a NR pass, which is exactly what the camera firmware does when rendering the JPG image. The point is how much detail and color gradations remain after the NR.

09-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #17

Original Poster
JohnBee: Your image is very clean and smooth, I'd say Canon like. Personally, I prefer to see a little bit of grain in the flat regions, when printed they look more natural.
09-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sirluke Quote
JohnBee: Your image is very clean and smooth, I'd say Canon like. Personally, I prefer to see a little bit of grain in the flat regions, when printed they look more natural.
It does look like that.
However, I think this is most likely the nature of the initial image.

One way to help evaluate this, is to take the initial RAW and look at it without processing. Which helps get a better feel for the textures and characteristics in that particular scene.

Having said that, the biggest problem in this case is where we don't actually have any means of assessing what the initial scene looks like. However... at first glance, I'd say much of the image doesn't contain much in way of image textures and detail from which to draw any strong conclusions with.

So I'm hoping the OP can post more samples for us to look at.
09-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've always preferred the higher detail retention that Pentax does with its High-ISO files.

A horrible thought just occured to me that Pentax has finally bought into the Canon plasticky approach to High-ISO noise with the K-5

09-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #20

Original Poster
I think that Pentax lets the user make it's own choices about NR, even to completely disable it. Looking at the 6400 iso raw file, I do not see any form of RAW NR, like it was on K-20 and K-7. So, it's even better than in the past.
09-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I ran through the file again(loosened some of the settings) to let more original grain through. However, I also grabbed some crops of the original with the NR version to help compare. One issue with this particular image seems to be with the texture of the branches. Which seem flocked or velvet like(very easy to much).
Luckily a quick red channel NR adjustment is all it took to recover that particular image area.

Granted, I think the NR profile could be tweaked a little further especially in the shadow regions. However, for an ISO6400 sample, I'd say we are well on our way with this early preview, and the most notable being(of course), how well the file seems to responds to NR to date.
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The fine texture of the red "branches" tends to be confused by NR software as "noise" and get smoothed out.
The Noiseware NR which I use has done that before - in such cases I'd play around a bit with the mid-frequency NR slider, probably reducing it to preserve more detail.

09-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The fine texture of the red "branches" tends to be confused by NR software as "noise" and get smoothed out.
The Noiseware NR which I use has done that before - in such cases I'd play around a bit with the mid-frequency NR slider, probably reducing it to preserve more detail.
Indeed.
Luckily we can turn off a single channel and in this case, the colors are consistent to the red channel. Either way, it is often necessary to brush away NR detail in a scene due to this.

Though keep in mind that these are 100% crops and that this image would have no problems getting published as a full size print without any issues whatsoever(impressive). And so I'm more than impressed given the amount of work needed to process this file and that these same limitations apply to all camera's(even a D700) at this sensitivities

Overall, I'm quite happy with these results.
And I only expect them to improve as things move along and we get to know the K-5 system better. Maybe even eek past the mighty D700!
09-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I have a K10D that I am not sure anyone will want by the time the K-5 is shipping. I wouldn't even know what to ask for it in USD.
It'd be worth it to keep it as your backup, and use the K7 as a lead!
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I've always preferred the higher detail retention that Pentax does with its High-ISO files.

A horrible thought just occured to me that Pentax has finally bought into the Canon plasticky approach to High-ISO noise with the K-5
You might want to go check out the high ISO 7D threads on this very forum before you throw "plasticky approach" around.

You people complain about Canon "smudging" higher ISO shots with their noise reduction. Well, it applies to JPEGs and if someone wants to print an ISO 6400 shot straight out of the camera some pretty heavy handed NR might be quite welcome. Of course, Pentax gets praised for "letting the user decide" how to handle the noise in post processing (by having a low default noise reduction setting), but if you are going to post process why the hell are you shooting JPEG to begin with?

Besides, it is a menu setting that controls the amount of NR applied to files on either camera, so if you want the glory of excessive chroma and luminance noise in your Canon files you can just turn it down.

Geeze, people.