Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

K-5: does autofocus work with video?

There is quite a little information available about K-5īs video in Pentax website and other sources.

Does autofocus work during videoshooting?

Is it any good?

09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No AF for video on the K-5. Not manual either, just a resolution step-up from the K-7.

Jason
09-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
No AF for video on the K-5. Not manual either, just a resolution step-up from the K-7.

Jason
A major flaw compared to the D7000....
09-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
A major flaw compared to the D7000....
Whether or not it's a "major" flaw or not depends on your point of view.

09-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For an amateur videographer looking for a new camera it is a flaw compared to A55. In comparison with the D7000 it is only a markenting matter - non existent or extremely poor AF are on the same boat.
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
For an amateur videographer looking for a new camera it is a flaw compared to A55. In comparison with the D7000 it is only a markenting matter - non existent or extremely poor AF are on the same boat.
The A55's in-video AF isn't without flaws, either. It requires a fixed, wide-open aperture during video for AF to function, which means in bright lighting conditions, exposure must be controlled by increasing shutter speed once ISO has been dropped to the sensor's native sensitivity. That leads to stuttering, choppy-looking video for moving subjects.

Perhaps more important is that since the lenses aren't designed for video AF, focusing noise is very clearly picked up by the camera.

I've yet to see any DSLR capable of really good in-video AF. Which isn't to say I don't think Pentax should add it as an option, and let the photographer decide if the sacrifices are worthwhile -- but thus far, pricey interchangeable-lens camcorders and some EVIL cameras have a distinct advantage over DSLRs for in-video AF.
09-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

I been doing a ton of Sony research, as it is my other system switch choice and there is possible news of the A55/A33 getting a firmware fix to add manual control in video. No verification of this.

There is also a lot of talk about overheating when taking extended video. The work around for this seems to be turning off in body stabilization and using a lens that has stabilization for extended video. I believe the time limit with body stabilization was 30 minutes.

As for lens noise it has two work arounds, HSM lenses, which are quieter and the most effective is using the external mic plug in.

All that being said, I'm really not sure the K-5 and the A55 play in the same sandbox.

09-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottyinfrisco Quote
I believe the time limit with body stabilization was 30 minutes.
With SteadyShot enabled, it's 9 minutes for the A55 or A55V, and 11 minutes for the A33, actually. It climbs to 29 minutes only when you disable SteadyShot, regardless of model. (Note that this is 29 minutes only if you don't reach the 2GB file size limit first, which likely means you'll never see 29 minutes except in VGA mode. At Full HD, Sony's spec is that you'll hit 2GB after just 14 minutes, although this will obviously depend on how compressible your subject is.)

QuoteQuote:
As for lens noise it has two work arounds, HSM lenses, which are quieter and the most effective is using the external mic plug in.
Yes, those would both improve matters, for sure. Lens noise is also not as *much* of an issue with phase detect, at least, because the SLT-cameras don't hunt around the point of focus, as would a contrast detect camera, and they also travel more directly to the focus point.
09-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I been doing a ton of Sony research, as it is my other system switch choice and there is possible news of the A55/A33 getting a firmware fix to add manual control in video. No verification of this.

There is also a lot of talk about overheating when taking extended video. The work around for this seems to be turning off in body stabilization and using a lens that has stabilization for extended video. I believe the time limit with body stabilization was 30 minutes.

All that being said, I'm really not sure the K-5 and the A55 play in the same sandbox.
I never understood why anybody is putting up with the limitations and workarounds of a DSLR for video if the objective is over and beyond shooting a casual video clip. Video cameras are available plentiful at reasonable prices and do a much better job. They don't overheat, they do autofocus, they allow manual exposure control, and they handle more conveniently for video than a DSLR. And HD video requires just about 2 MP. What am I missing?

An entire industry has sprung up offering gadgets helping you to overcome the deficiencies of a DSLR as a video camera. This is one of my favorites LOL:
Attached Images

Last edited by shady; 09-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.
09-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
With SteadyShot enabled, it's 9 minutes for the A55 or A55V, and 11 minutes for the A33, actually. It climbs to 29 minutes only when you disable SteadyShot, regardless of model. (Note that this is 29 minutes only if you don't reach the 2GB file size limit first, which likely means you'll never see 29 minutes except in VGA mode. At Full HD, Sony's spec is that you'll hit 2GB after just 14 minutes, although this will obviously depend on how compressible your subject is.)
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that sounded wrong. Didn't know about the 2Gb limit.
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that sounded wrong. Didn't know about the 2Gb limit.
Glad to help. The 2GB limit is pretty common across brands and models. I believe it hails from the 2GB limit on file size in the FAT 16 standard, even though most cameras these days are FAT 32 capable, and hence now have a file size limit of 4GB imposed by their file system architecture.
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shady Quote
I never understood why anybody is putting up with the limitations and workarounds of a DSLR for video if the objective is over and beyond shooting a casual video clip. Video cameras are available plentiful at reasonable prices and do a much better job. They don't overheat, they do autofocus, they allow manual exposure control, and they handle more conveniently for video than a DSLR. And HD video requires just about 2 MP. What am I missing?

.:
I used to think so to, and I have a fairly capable Video camera. Its just that the Handycam often gets left at home unless I already plan to take a video during the outing.
Many times, the dSLR is what I have in hand, and the ability to take short, casual video clips of just a few minutes comes in very handy.
09-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shady Quote
The bottom line for me is that I do not want to carry two device! I want to be able to take video and photo at a switch of a button, instead of putting the camera down, and then looking for the video camera. And back and forth and so on for the whole day....
09-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
*ignores "photo purists who hate video in dslr." if you don't use it, leave it alone*

How come the K-5 does not have manual exposure and autofocus, when people are always saying that it's using the same/similar sensor that D7000 and A55 uses?
09-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
*ignores "photo purists who hate video in dslr." if you don't use it, leave it alone*

How come the K-5 does not have manual exposure and autofocus, when people are always saying that it's using the same/similar sensor that D7000 and A55 uses?
Simply put, it's up to each manufacturer to decide which features to include. It also relies on more than just the image sensor as to what features the camera is capable of. Available processor power is another example.

It's not that Pentax couldn't include the feature -- indeed, the K-7 had a basic version of in-movie AF with its early prototype firmware. For whatever reason they've either decided that they haven't yet been able implement it well enough, can't do so well enough for hardware reasons, or don't feel it would be a smart return on their development investment. Only they know which of the above applies.