Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
Inactive Account

i have using K-x video for a little while, and I don't seem to find much trouble with manual focus, once I got used to it. But, the problem actually is not AF or MF, the biggest problem I have is LCD brightness when I cannot see clearly under bright sun. It works pretty well in door or at night, as long as you remember turning right is focus far, and turning left is focus near.

09-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
We are talking about DSLRs not EVIL.
Nikon is ahead in this area, no doubt. But I would reserve my judgement until I can try it out myself. And I feel that you need dedicated video lens to get the best results.
Exactly, That is why I posted examples from the D700, D3100 and A55. I agree with the rest of your post though. I would love to see this up close and in my own hands before coming to full conclusion of how beneficial AF can truly be, although I cant imagine it is a negative even at this point.

Jason
09-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since when did pro video use auto focus?... what do you think a 'focus puller' is?

Its a full time position on a video crew for someone who controls the focus.
09-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Employing a focus puller on demand may be a little tough, plus, what will my boom operator think if I split his wages?

Jason

09-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #35
Forum Member

I really get a kick out of the autofocus video DSLR debate.

Pro level video work has almost always been fully manual focus. Some manufacturers have tried on some 6 figure equipment.

Everyone always comes back to manual for pro apps. And we are talking 2/3" Sensors.

The whole DSLR video point (and stills to some extent) is all about large sensor size right? Which also means shallow DOF.

I always laugh when clients tell me my $20k video rig must be old fashioned because their little palmcorder has autofocus.

Some of the DSLR autofocus examples make me laugh. A pro lit scene with a competent DP is not a test of an autofocus system.

Show me an autofocus/auto WB that works doing concert IMAG at stage edge or the long CU shot at 300mm on a sporting event and I will be impressed.

And how is it going to know which player I intend to stay in focus?

I bet it really frustrates the engineers that design these cameras when everyone seems to want conflicting goals that the law of physics dictates can't simultaneously exist?

Would a somewhat functional autofocus system be nice on a DSLR? Sure! But then you would have every online "expert" posting video after video featuring IMPOSSIBLE focusing situations declaring the Pentax focusing system an epic fail.
And then posting the competition examples that are entirely different types of shots.

Seems like they can't win with some of the critics around here!
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
Banned

I like AF on my Panasonic HDC-TM700 3MOS 1080p60 camcorder for shooting vacation videos of the kids etc and it also has manual focus like my K-7. I just wish Pentax would plan on a firmware upgrade for full manual control on the K-5 like Canon did for the 5D MKII.

Canon Digital Learning Center - EOS 5D Mark II: Firmware Update v. 2.0.4