k20D, K10D 4026.85%
K-7, K-5 10973.15%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
is it just me or did the camera reach it's buffer limit?
The shutter button wasn't released, so yes, it reached the buffer limit. I'd imagine it was set to JPEG mode, as if I'm hearing right it gets just a little beyond twenty frames. Buffer depth in best-quality JPEG mode (ie. three out of four stars) is rated as 22 frames. You might get a little more than that shooting without a lens, given that there's no detail whatsoever in the images being recorded, so they'll compress well.

09-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have 2 K20Ds and a K-7. I do like the feel of the 20s with the bigger lenses (Sigma 70-200mm & DA*300mm) and, with those lenses especially, I really like having the SR switch on the body.) . OTOH, the K-7 is perfect for the <100mm primes. I figure I'll get a K-5 within the next 10months but a K30D would be great.
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I would have liked a less expensive K7/K5 without video and would go for a K30 with K5 specs, lower price and no video.

I couldn't have said it better.
09-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Me either. Maybe I'm a middle-aged fuddy duddy, but I really do not have a need for my camera to take videos. I read lots of complaints here on the forum about what features/capabilities are lacking in the current bodies. Seems to me that most of the ones that everyone whines about can be found on a dedicated video camera that is even more compact than the K7 and much less expensive to boot.

09-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Me either. Maybe I'm a middle-aged fuddy duddy, but I really do not have a need for my camera to take videos. I read lots of complaints here on the forum about what features/capabilities are lacking in the current bodies. Seems to me that most of the ones that everyone whines about can be found on a dedicated video camera that is even more compact than the K7 and much less expensive to boot.
this has always been an issue. if you want video get a video camera in my opinion. I have used the video ode to try it on the K7 but my interest is stills. I bought a K7 to upgrade from my K10 because of the features on the still camera side not the video capability.

Even on my P&S I only ever took videos once, in the 6 years I have had the camera, and a P&S is essentually a video recorder that takes stills, as opposed to a still camera that takes video. The one time I used video was important, and it was the only camera I had, BUT, while video is a feature to be used if nothing else is available, it is not what I look for when getting a camera.

My decision to pass on the K20 was based solely on the issues carried over from the K10. Specifically poor metering with legacy lenses. I did not see the K20 as a big enough step from the K10, that is why I bought a K7. I probably won't get a K5, at least right away, but I will be looking for specifically even better high ISO capabilities at some time in the future.

What I would really like, which could be done, is to bring back TTL flash in the flagship line of cameras. Why not? It then allows real use of legacy lenses.
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

My vote goes to K10/20 bodies. I have rather large hands with long fingers and K-7 just felt too small for me... I mean the grip was fine but my thumb kept missing the rear dial, the buttons were uncomfortable to reach and so on... I wouldn't mind thje body size of 7/5 but the buttons are not where they should be (for me anyway)...
09-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It took me a little while to get used to the K-7's feel, but after I tried it for a bit I came to prefer it over the K10D/K20D.
09-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Had a k10, then K20. One of the reasons i went for the K7 was its size. I can see why someone with xtra large hands would want a K30. I would have liked a less expensive K7/K5 without video and would go for a K30 with K5 specs, lower price and no video.
With LV DSLRs video does not cost Pentax more than a few bucks but it added many more to purchase them like me. The main reason I purchased the K-7 was for the video mode .

09-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #24

i like the ideas about K30D... i mean he have all the ability in K-5 , such as fast AF and high ISO, but doesnt have a video mode and AF in video .... actually dont need it that much .. and perhaps better sensor..
09-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I own the K20D (great camera) and the K7 (great camera).

I now prefer the ergonomics of the K7, especially with the grip.
Yes, the AF selector and the metering selector are a pain in the b*&% but I think that there could have been a bit of a change (after viewing some pics of it) with the K5, which I will likely go for, when the price drops.

Oh, by the way, you are in Sidney, Australia? Do you really have to wear gloves in the winter over there? How cold does it get ... I'm very curious.

Cheers.

JP

I was just in australia during the world cup, and I was freezing ! it was so much colder than I expected/researched, especially at night a Darling harbor.

Back to the Topic, While I kept my K10 instead of getting the K7, I prefer the K7 - smaller and lighter, better for traveling and I can add a grip (which no one has mentioned in this thread concerning bodies and lens balance).

Although I would always want a separate SR physical switch, I find it helps remind me to turn it off when using a tripod or back on afterwards.
11-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #26
cWj

Photos: Gallery
I finally did a bit of camera speed dating at B&H today. I stopped at the Canon (5D/7D), Sony (a9xx) and Pentax (K-5/7, K-r/x) displays.

I honestly prefer the ergos on my K10D to any of those I handled today. However, it's my suspicion that's due to having a battery grip. With no battery grip, the deeper hand grip on the K-5/7 stands out. With a grip, I prefer the space of the K10/20. I really was surprised, however, that I didn't care so much for the layout of the 5D. It balanced well enough, but the buttons were a bit far flung for my no-bigger-than-average-and-probably-slightly-smaller-sized man hands.

So, I would like to see a K30D, but I think I differ from most here in wanting it to be a higher spec, advanced user camera. The 5/7 are in the tradition of the highly featured MZ/ZX-7 line. It is easy for beginners to use, but has a high 'zazz! factor with all of the functions. The K10/20 is more in line with the MZ/ZX-5/5n. It is for a more advanced user who wants more control.

I'd like to see a K30D with a similar size to the 10/20 , *lighter*, with a derivative of the 645D's sensor AND a K30Dv of the same ilk that shoots video. You can get a camcorder to do video, but the prospect of using K-mount glass to shoot moving images intrigues me.

*bonus: I would REALLY like to see Pentax video that doesn't have the ribboning I saw on the K-5 today....

Last edited by cWj; 12-01-2011 at 08:43 AM.
11-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm only 5'11" and 160 lbs age 50 so smaller is better for me, but I can see how a lot of people would like a bigger camera. I regularly go hiking 15 or so miles with my dogs on my days off so a huge camera is not ideal for me. I take the camera a usually the 15, 35, and 70. If I feel like I want a macro I will take the Sigma 70 instead of the DA 70.

I will also usually pack the E-P2 or the DP-1/2 in the bag.

I can see how for someone with large hands the K5 wouldn't be the ideal.
11-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
Although I would always want a separate SR physical switch, I find it helps remind me to turn it off when using a tripod or back on afterwards.
This would be great!
11-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Agree completely. I have no need for video although I think it probably doesn't cost much. I am going to take a serious look at the Sigma SD1. I have been very pleased with the DP1 and DP2. The SD1 doesn't have video and a lot of the shooting modes, ect that I never use. It's not so much about cost, it's about simplicity.
11-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

If the K-5 where available in a K10 body I would go for the K10 version.