Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: what feels better?
k20D, K10D 4026.85%
K-7, K-5 10973.15%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
Although I would always want a separate SR physical switch, I find it helps remind me to turn it off when using a tripod or back on afterwards.
I cant remember where I read that some cameras (dont know which brand) would automatically swith off the SR once they "detect" they are mount on a tripod.

Is the K5 equipped with such feature?

11-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I own and use the K10/K20d. Lowell said much of what I would say on the subject of features.

From an ergonomic point of view, I find myself in a similar place to where I was in the 80s. I like compact for travel, and appreciate when a camera can be made small. Like the MX/ME/LX, the K7 feels like it would be a great travel size, and can be extended with a grip to fill out the hands of a 6'3" photographer like me. The K10/K20 is just right for my hands for extended shooting right out of the box, but I find that with the grip, it is a bit heavy and can be intimidating for human subjects. I've repeatedly had subjects comment on how "impressive" the combo with grip and lens was, and then concentrate on it for the shoot. I've downshifted to the K-x on occasion for better interaction with my subject.

Bottom line is that though I don't own a K7 (K20 too much of a bargain after K7), I think the form factor was the right move. I will most likely upgrade my kit to the K5. I like having a small body when I need it, and being able to add the buttons and the AA capacity of the grip, and still have a camera that is not overwhelming.
11-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #33

New K20D

I know the K7 is released and the now the K5 is available but does anyone know if you can still buy a "new" K20D in Australia? In Sydney preferably but Australia if need be?

jo
11-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Well, this is definitely a personal subjective matter. For me, I have big hands and I love the size of my K10d. I tried the K-x for a while, and while I enjoyed many things about it, it was simply too small for my hands. It looks like the K5 is in between the two. I have only handled one very briefly. It did seem a little small, but hopefully I can get used to it, because I will upgrade to it as soon as it comes down to a price level I'm comfortable with.

For me, if I'm carrying a DSLR, I'd prefer a little extra size/weight to better accomodate controls, dials and buttons more comfortably.

11-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YES YES YES! I much prefer the ergonomics and control layout on the K10D/20D.

I would also see a K30D more on the likes of a Nikon D3x or the Canon EOS 1DSMkIII. A full frame, full featured professional MEGABEAST of a camera!

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-05-2010 at 08:01 AM.
11-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
K20 all the way. I've tried the 7 without a grip and it was small to a large guy like me. Now if I had a grip for the 7, my opinion may be different.
11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The two things that bother me about the K-7/5 are the lack of the SR switch and the ^% $#@ media card door.

11-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Had a k10, then K20. One of the reasons i went for the K7 was its size. I can see why someone with xtra large hands would want a K30. I would have liked a less expensive K7/K5 without video and would go for a K30 with K5 specs, lower price and no video.
Since I haven't handled the K-5 yet, I can't comment on it. I must say that compared to a Canon 7D, I have a vast preference for the K10D/K20D's ergonomics and button layout.

But as to a DSLR without video - You will never see a DSLR without video again. Why do you hate video so much? Name a situation where the presence of video capability has been detrimental to the camera's still capabilities.

Cost is not a valid argument - Pentax uses Motion JPEG, which is such a simple codec (and more specifically, uses the JPEG codec for stills already present in any digital still camera) that it is, effectively, free with the exception of a tiny bit of user interface work in the firmware. Having a camera with video capabilities is attractive to many users and will increase total sales numbers, meaning that in the end, even if you don't use it, because it was so cheap to add, the camera with video is CHEAPER for you due to the effects of economies of scale.
11-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #39
Veteran Member

K-7/K-5 with the grip is the best camera I've ever held, ergonomically, and I'm not a small guy (~195lb, 6'1").
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Make no mistake... I will be getting a K-5 (I've skipped the K-7) next spring... but I'd skip it too if I thought they were bringing out a K30D with pro-level specs.

Mike
11-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned a K10D (now it's my son's) and presenlty have the K20D and the K7.
I like them both, gripped at that.
The K20D is bigger but handles very well. It is nearly 100% of the time fitted with the DA*300/4.
The K7 is beautiful to handle, quiet, comfortable even with the grip ... actually, even better with the grip.

So, a K30D with similar physical attributes as those of the K20D would be nice, and I wouldn't mind the size, but now I think I have made up my mind about the K5.

Who will inherit the K20D? Probably someone on the MarketPlace but not before I have thouroughly tested the K5.

JP
11-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have very small hands for a man, and love the ergos of my K20D anyway. As far as winter is concerned, I found that a pair of silk gloves works quite nicely as long as you have some warm pockets available when you occasionally need them. That should help with a smaller camera. The silk gloves can also be used as liners for thicker ones when you are not shooting.

Silk longjohns are optional though. I expect that once you get used to them, you may not want to take them off in the Spring! LOL
11-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #43
Forum Member

I've never had the opportunity to hold a K-7, or a K-5 (since stores don't sell them anywhere near me), but I personally feel that the K10D isn't really all that comfortable to hold unless it has the battery grip mounted. Even without ever having felt a K-7/K-5 in my hands I'm pretty sure I'd opt for a smaller and lighter camera with a battery grip than something like a K30. By the way, I have small hands, but long-ish fingers.
11-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #44

I've got a K10D and I love it with the grip! I've only briefly handled a K7 and my impression was that it was tiny. Perhaps a K5/7 with grip would be perfect. I've got big hands though, I'm 6'5" and I just measured my handspan at 9.5" from outstretched thumb to pinky and 7 3/4" from tip of middle finger to wrist.
11-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikem Quote
I've got a K10D and I love it with the grip! I've only briefly handled a K7 and my impression was that it was tiny. Perhaps a K5/7 with grip would be perfect. I've got big hands though, I'm 6'5" and I just measured my handspan at 9.5" from outstretched thumb to pinky and 7 3/4" from tip of middle finger to wrist.
Hey, give me my hand back!