View Poll Results: what feels better?
k20D, K10D 4026.85%
K-7, K-5 10973.15%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who out there would prefer a K30D?

I know this has been said already by some but yet no thread has been made (that i know of).

The K-5 sounds much like a upgraded k-7 but one of my main concerns with the K-7 and now with the K-5 is it's form factor. I love my K20D and chose it over a 7 because of it's form and size. Am i the only black sheep out there that wishes for a K30D? A nice upgrade to the K*0D body range?

In winter i can easily operate my K20D with gloves on but trying the same functions on the k-7 becomes a real chalenge (AF selector switch for example.)

Ben

09-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had a k10, then K20. One of the reasons i went for the K7 was its size. I can see why someone with xtra large hands would want a K30. I would have liked a less expensive K7/K5 without video and would go for a K30 with K5 specs, lower price and no video.
09-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Had a k10, then K20. One of the reasons i went for the K7 was its size. I can see why someone with xtra large hands would want a K30. I would have liked a less expensive K7/K5 without video and would go for a K30 with K5 specs, lower price and no video.
True, i also know quite a few that prefer the K-7. I'm not trying to say anything bad about it's size, just it's not for me. I guess my concern is that there is a k-7 and a K-5 (2 generations) and a K10D and a K20D (also 2 generations)... What's going to happen next? will we see a sucessor to the K-5 or will that too also be phased out and replaced completley, furthermore, is the K*0D range dead and if not when,if ever will there be a K30D?

Agree with what you have said about the k30D, all i would like to see in that body too would be better ISO management, Faster FPS and perhaps a Sensor upgrade.

thanks for the reply.

Ben
09-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the K20D (great camera) and the K7 (great camera).

I now prefer the ergonomics of the K7, especially with the grip.
Yes, the AF selector and the metering selector are a pain in the b*&% but I think that there could have been a bit of a change (after viewing some pics of it) with the K5, which I will likely go for, when the price drops.

Oh, by the way, you are in Sidney, Australia? Do you really have to wear gloves in the winter over there? How cold does it get ... I'm very curious.

Cheers.

JP

09-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm in the exact opposite boat.

I was getting pretty frustrated with the k10d near the end and I was never really happy with it's ergos. They weren't "bad", but the grip was far too shallow for my taste.

The k-7 on the other hand fit like a glove.

As for winter hand-wear, I personally haven't had any problems.
09-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I own the K20D (great camera) and the K7 (great camera).

I now prefer the ergonomics of the K7, especially with the grip.
Yes, the AF selector and the metering selector are a pain in the b*&% but I think that there could have been a bit of a change (after viewing some pics of it) with the K5, which I will likely go for, when the price drops.

Oh, by the way, you are in Sidney, Australia? Do you really have to wear gloves in the winter over there? How cold does it get ... I'm very curious.

Cheers.

JP
I brought that example up because of a time i remember in this winter past, were (for us it was cold) an i was in the mountains doing some early more shoots, i think the temp was about ~ -2 to 2 celcius not exactly cold but cold for us, furthermore i'm a bit weak when it comes to the cold. Much more of a summer kinda person.

Cheers
09-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
I brought that example up because of a time i remember in this winter past, were (for us it was cold) an i was in the mountains doing some early more shoots, i think the temp was about ~ -2 to 2 celcius not exactly cold but cold for us, furthermore i'm a bit weak when it comes to the cold. Much more of a summer kinda person.

Cheers
Well, Ben ... looks like you WILL need gloves after all!
Nevertheless, I suggest you get some very thin gloves and certainly not those mitts we have here in Quebec!
But to get back to your claim about a couple of "buttons and switches" being awkward on the Pentax cameras, I think we have to put up with them, although I think they have modified a couple of them for the K5 .... not sure but you may want to check it out from the K5 photos.

Cheers to you .... Oh! It will soon be Spring out there soon, right?

JP

09-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh should also mention tethered shooting....Why the K-7 and possibly the k-5 do not support tethered shooting is beyond me....
09-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd vote on this poll, but i have no access to a K7 or a local store that sells them.

But I do anjoy using my K20D & K200D.
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

I voted for the K7 which I really love. Its about the best handfeel i've had for a camera since my F100.
09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

K-7, all the way. By far the most comfortable DSLR I've ever used. The only ergonomic change I'd like to see, the K-5 has -- a slightly easier to adjust AF mode selector dial.
09-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are talking about an upgrade from the k10/20'against the k7 I would take an upgraded K7 any day

Why, better and quieter shutter, better metering higher frame rate and better AF lead the way
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you are talking about an upgrade from the k10/20'against the k7 I would take an upgraded K7 any day

Why, better and quieter shutter, better metering higher frame rate and better AF lead the way
Perhaps i think i may need to eat some humble pie.......
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=94kUYwCij_A&feature=related[/YT]

now i know numbers aren't everything but that frame rate is amazing. If the price goes down a bit, i do think maybe i may upgrade one of my bodies...

is it just me or did the camera reach it's buffer limit?
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the K7 is the most comfortable camera I have ever held, whereas the K12D has a tad bit bulky feeling to it. The K7 feels like it molds itself to my hand and I can only hope the K5 is the same.
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #15

I skipped the whole K10/20 generation, keeping hold of my DS, precisly because of a dislike of the larger bodies. To me, Pentax are all about small bodies - my K7 is a direct descendent of my old ME Super