Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geez.. great reading for someone that JUST sent his dead Kx for warranty repair and was assuming (hoping) to get it back by October 20th for a job that needs the Kx.

I am in deep shit now!

09-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
...and I then asked what does Pentax USA do in terms of stocking parts -- the rep hints to "Nothing!" It is CRIS handling everything. Why don't Pentax USA not stocking parts for K-x and K7 and the answers go in circle.

I agree that all of the horror stories I've read about long turnaround times for Pentax service is completely inadequate for a pro.

But, since Pentax has chosen to outsource all of their service to CRIS, I wouldn't expect Pentax USA to stock any parts. Why would they? However, I would expect them to lean heavily on CRIS to keep an adequate supply on hand, or to raise cain with Pentax Japan, if that is where the bottleneck is. No matter who is really to blame for lack of parts, it is Pentax USA that gets the bad rap for it.

Pros really need to be able to walk into a store in their town, drop off their camera, pick up a loaner or rental and walk out. Further, they should be able to return 72 hours later to pick up their now-repaired camera. Shipping it to Arizona and waiting months to get it back is just wrong, even for consumers, let alone pros.

I don't care if Pentax releases a FF camera or decides to sell the 645D in the US, they will never succeed in cracking the pro market in any significant way with the kind of service they have now.

To be fair, though, is this really typical of Pentax repair? Of course, we hear the horror stories on the internet. Very occasionally, someone reports quick (less than two weeks, still unacceptable for a pro) return of their camera, but generally, people don't write about that sort of thing. It may be that they get most cameras fixed and in the mail in a matter of a few days, on average. Your experience may be an exception. Or it may not be.

I would expect that CRIS keeps statistics about average turnaround times, but I doubt that they will ever release that information.

Pentax USA should be keeping a very close eye on these things.
09-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

To be fair, though, is this really typical of Pentax repair? Of course, we hear the horror stories on the internet. Very occasionally, someone reports quick (less than two weeks, still unacceptable for a pro) return of their camera, but generally, people don't write about that sort of thing. It may be that they get most cameras fixed and in the mail in a matter of a few days, on average. Your experience may be an exception. Or it may not be.
Speaking on the issue of perceived problems, you hit the nail on the head. I'd wager to say that 98% of every CE company has what we would deem to be a whole bunch of horror stories or unsatisfied customers. You may not hear about them or see it in action, but the larger the company or more stuff they make, the more people who have had a bad experience. It's when the ratio of total amount/service sold vs failure gets too high that you have to raise a flag. Most people don't analyze things on a grand scale though. I always stress to friends looking to make a CE purchase the importance of not taking online reviews or opinions as a gaurantee of quality or failure.
09-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

PENTAX PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS
QuoteQuote:
Benefits to members of the new PPS program include:

· 72 hour rush turnaround on most PENTAX digital SLR repairs. (Repair charges may be incurred depending on existing or extended warranty programs.)

· Short-term equipment loans that allow photographers to evaluate equipment prior to an actual purchase and/or borrow unique or limited availability lenses for one-time shoots.

· Direct access to dedicated customer service representatives in PENTAX headquarters to answer technical questions, arrange product loans, or monitor equipment through the repair process to make sure the repair process is timely.

PPS membership is limited to PENTAX professional photographers who derive 51 percent or more of their annual income from photography. Membership may be obtained by completing a PENTAX Professional Service program application. Interested photographers are asked to complete the application, provide an original signature and mail it to the address listed on the form (fax or e-mail copies of this application will not be accepted). PENTAX will notify new members about acceptance within 2-3 weeks. At the time of acceptance, PENTAX will provide more information about rush repair servicing, short-term product loans, and a list of the contact information for PPS customer service representatives who will be able to assist with any aspect of the PPS program, products and services.

For more information about the PENTAX Professional Services program including an application, e-mail customer.followup@pentax.com or call 1-800-877-0155 (press “0” and ask to speak to PENTAX Professional Services).
Thank you
Russell

09-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
Is anyone in this PPS program?
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Is anyone in this PPS program?
x2

I wonder if they are still active and if it works as promised.
09-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I wouldn't shoot professionally with Pentax (or, to be honest, any other system) without owning at least one backup body and having some overlap in frequently used lenses. I don't consider an indefinite wait to be reasonable, however even next day service and free loaner gear isn't going to help you if your equipment fails on site during a shoot.

Note that Canon and Nikon's respective professional service divisions have minimum equipment ownership standards and require proof that you work full time as a photographer, amongst other qualifications:

Nikon Pro - About NPS

Canon U.S.A. : FAQs

I take it you aren't a member of Pentax's professional service program (of which I know very little, as I don't even know if it is offered in Canada)?

PENTAX News and Press Releases - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Thanks for the links.
I remember that there was one Pentax Pro shooter in Germany, who had made a deal with a big Photo shop, where he had bought a lot of gear. For a monthly fee; he got loan cams when something was delivering in repair and fast turnaround on items delivered in.

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Same worldwide I guess.
It sees that penax holds all spare part in Japan until the are needed and only then ship the away... By ship... which takes a few weeks.
Now I know from my brother who weork in CCTV that they send things like sensors by sea rather than by air because of higher radiation levels up in the sky (yeah know, people with cameras travel a lot so sensors can stand a bit of radiation but the fact is that they need to do as much as possible to prevent dead pixels at delivery and shipping instead of flying is one of those things they have to do) but that does not say anything for other parts and more reason to have a stock off spares at the regiona repair centres..
that would save a few weeks time....

By the way, Pentax is not alone. It also depends on country... And persnal relationships.

I know some horrible stories of Canon service in Holland as well. You only seem to get good service if you are the kind of shooter who get cameras for free anyways.
Thanks for the info. I knew that they shipped by sea, but didn't know why

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
This is the main reason that I am partially leaving Pentax. I am closer than I think at the exit door. When you see my DA* and F* lens in marketplace, that is as close as I can get to partially exit Pentax digital but I will try to hang onto one digital body with some beloved primes.

When I called close to 3 weeks into the waiting for my white dead K-x which was dead after 9 months of amazing service in its SD memory card reader, I was told the parts was back-ordered from Japan. I asked the Pentax service rep who is responsible for stocking parts of most current Pentax bodies as in K-x and K7. The rep said 'CRIS' and I then asked what does Pentax USA do in terms of stocking parts -- the rep hints to "Nothing!" It is CRIS handling everything. Why don't Pentax USA not stocking parts for K-x and K7 and the answers go in circle.

The normal repair usually takes 4 to 6 weeks. And that assumes that the parts are in Pentax USA or in CRIS. If parts are not in CRIS or Pentax USA, you are pretty much ON your own and you can scream at nobody but wait with NO ETA given. I would expect a minimal 8 weeks to 12 weeks and the service rep laughed and assured me that would not be bad as I thought in 2+ months and Pentax USA is overlooking CRIS on the repair. I want to scream as this company really doesn't treat the camera as a professional tool. When they started with doggy and color coded limited lens, you should join me in selling all of your gear and head for the exit door. But seriously, for anyone who wants to buy a non-black K-r or K-x, you have to think twice or better to call up Pentax USA if they keep color body parts in stock for warranty repairs.

That is my story! I am not calling Pentax service rep to speed up my repair as I like to be treated just like everyone else. If I have to call them every other day and demand a speedy recovery, my FA limited lens will be in marketplace to completely leave Pentax.

So to all of you who are serious in using your Pentax gear, do me and yourself a favor, buy up a good and reliable uesed K10D/K20D/K200D as a backup body for about $300 and that is YOUR BEST WARRANTY. The 1 yr warranty service from Pentax USA is a JOKE to me.

That is my miserable story, please take it with a jar of salt as I am no longer a blogger who recommends Pentax products.

Hin
Repair is always a drag.

I read the thread you started, and e.g. the reply by Mel :
Hin,
Cool your jets, my friend. This is just a sign of the times. Other brands use these same people for the same reason... Cost. They are probably giving a flat rate to the manufacturer for repairing the camera and thus it is way cheaper to use them than maintain their own personel. We want cheaper prices and better cameras and unfortunately other costs must be cut in order to remain profitable. You were probably told to allow 4-6 weeks which is typical for consumer electronics. What they should have is what the computer industry offers. There (or here) we offer a premium service upgrade (Gold or Platinum) at an extra cost. These service upgrade guarantee a time for repair. For a Pro, this would be the answer. In the meantime, break out your k20d or a film camera and get ready for the long haul.
Mel Unruh , Sep 11, 2010; 02:37 a.m.

and Hosteen :
Forgive me for jumping in, as I am not a Pentax shooter, but IMO this is becoming a universal complaint, no matter the item, camera related or otherwise. It seems we have become a disposable society to a degree, where repair options are more the exception than the norm. Yes, I'm an old-timer, and can fondly remember taking a 'whatever' to the local fix-it person to get it repaired - on time, and at a reasonable price. In fact, this was the way to do things - you just went someplace to get it fixed, as there was never any thought of not doing otherwise.

Sadly, a lot of that is gone now in many cases. Hin, I wish you nothing but the best of luck in ultimately getting your repair competed in a reasonable time, with a very satisfactory outcome.
Hosteen Yendikeno , Sep 10, 2010; 10:14 p.m.

I find, it is often the same. With consumer electronics or items, companies seldom spend much effort in fixing. It is more to encourage to buy new. My expectations are always far down, when I have to contact a service department for help on items that have broken down. That is why I have often bought premium service arrangements, though it really ought not to be necessary.

You're probably right that color body parts will mean longer wait, when something breaks down. You shouldn't scream at the personal, as that will likely not help your case. I don't think Pentax is the only one, who has outsources repair. As you state; 12 weeks, then things out to be fixed. Or at least give you an ETA. But I guess cameras are becoming disposable electronics nowadays.

It is bad energy to get worked up over those kind of incident. I always try to put them behind me, as quickly as possible. Things get outdated very quickly, and they don't take much pride maintaining things for long periods. We’re sounding like old farts, but I think that is the way it is.
If things should take 12 weeks+, then for sure they should tell you in a proper tone and way, as that would likely be longer than their normal turnaround time.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-25-2010 at 01:51 AM.
09-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

My local pusher tells me that Pentax is actually better than Canon on repair return times.
Not that this makes a difference to the OP as I'm in Canada. Doesn't the USA Pentax repair center also do Canon? If this is the case, they will most certainly be paying more attention to Canon than Pentax.
09-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #24

Original Poster
Hit a sensitive nerve?

I appreciate all the participation in this post. I was wondering if Pentax was worse than the two "professional" brands. It seems the answer to attempting professional photography with Pentax is too have excessive amounts of equipment. That means a wedding photographer should have three cameras (a backup to the backup), not to mention duplicate lenses, flashes, etc. As long as we photographers buy into this business model, there is no incentive for the camera companies to change the way they handle repair times or part inventories. Of course photographers are also faced with declining revenue per paid event due to the downward pressure on photography fees by the increase of photographers into the market. While camera companies may be benefiting from the easy money now, and thus disinclined to provide that much product support, it is not hard to project that it may end up costing them in the long run. If the cost of operating a business exceeds or cripples the profits, then people may look elsewhere for money making opportunities and the sales of photographic equipment may begin to decline.
09-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
It seems the answer to attempting professional photography with Pentax is too have excessive amounts of equipment.
It's the same for Canon and Nikon. I'm not sure how you can qualify as a pro when you rely on a single body. It doesn't matter what level of support you can get if your camera fails during a paid shoot - you need a replacement there and then. It's not about a business model, it's about common sense, which sadly, as they say, it's not that common.
09-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm in the Pentax Professional Program. Their requirement are strict. You really do have to be a pro and be able to prove it. I have found their service excellent under the Professional Program, including loners for testing and your own professional rep to answer questions. Haven't had to have repairs since joining a couple of years ago, but about a year ago, I was considering sending my camera in for service, and my rep said he would send me a camera just like it to use while mine was being serviced. Said he would mail it out express the moment I requested it so that I'd have it in the next day or two.
09-24-2010, 02:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
PPS membership is limited to PENTAX professional photographers who derive 51 percent or more of their annual income from photography.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
You really do have to be a pro and be able to prove it.
How do they check it? How can you prove you're a pro with 51% income from photography?
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

It seems the answer to attempting professional photography with Pentax is too have excessive amounts of equipment. That means a wedding photographer should have three cameras (a backup to the backup), not to mention duplicate lenses, flashes, etc. As long as we photographers buy into this business model, there is no incentive for the camera companies to change the way they handle repair times or part inventories.
Even a 24hour repair time is not going to help a wedding photographer whose single camera dies in the middle of a wedding, a sports photographer whose single camera dies during a finals game, a photographer at a on-location model shoot in the middle of nowhere whose single camera dies...and it doesn't even have to be the the camera's fault itself. A drunk wedding guest could spill wine onto a camera, a stray ball could hit the camera/lens, etc, etc.

IMHO, part and parcel of being a "professional" photographer is having the foresight and planning to deal with these issues, and having contingency plans. And if that means a second, or even third body is needed, then so be it, and the cost of all this equipment should be factored into the photographer's business costs anyway, regardless of what brand of camera the photographer uses.
09-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Simico: There's quite a bit to it, and even though I don't remember all the details, I do remember I found it a bit frustrating, even though I derive 100 percent of my income from freelance work. I remember sending them a fairly large package with clips, business cards, references and other proofs. I do remember thinking it would be easier for a wedding or studio photographer. Contact Pentax, and they'll send you all the details.
And Pop4 is right, at least one back-up camera makes good business sense.
09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate all the participation in this post. I was wondering if Pentax was worse than the two "professional" brands. It seems the answer to attempting professional photography with Pentax is too have excessive amounts of equipment. That means a wedding photographer should have three cameras (a backup to the backup), not to mention duplicate lenses, flashes, etc. As long as we photographers buy into this business model, there is no incentive for the camera companies to change the way they handle repair times or part inventories. Of course photographers are also faced with declining revenue per paid event due to the downward pressure on photography fees by the increase of photographers into the market. While camera companies may be benefiting from the easy money now, and thus disinclined to provide that much product support, it is not hard to project that it may end up costing them in the long run. If the cost of operating a business exceeds or cripples the profits, then people may look elsewhere for money making opportunities and the sales of photographic equipment may begin to decline.
If you are gonna be a professional photographer then you need back up equipment. It doesn't matter a whit what brand of camera it is. You'll be just as buggered with a 1 week turn around as a 1 month turnaround if you have shoots booked and your only camera body kaks on you, or if you drop a camera during a job and it stops working.
The business model mistake is made by people who think they can turn pro with one body and a kit lens.
In the trade we call them weiners and they tend to not last long.

The studio I'm hooked up with has at least 8 Nikons and that many or more lenses on the shelf and half a dozen studio lighting kits becayse we have learned that if you want to shoot, you'd better have the equipment in place to make sure you can do it.