Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dynamic Pentax DSLR Comparison BETA

Ole wrote a CSV-parsing program several years ago for auto-generating the camera data tables based that you've seen around the site. Today we took the time to create some additional Pentax DSLR comparison tables (K-5 vs K-r, K-r vs K-x, etc.), and then I thought to myself: "why not skip the intermediate steps and old-fashioned static ways, and just implement a dynamic solution that puts the comparisons in the hands of the user?"

Well, shortly thereafter I coughed up a script to accomplish the task (I'm good at that), and Ole helped me adapt the data from the CSVs.

The result (BETA stage right now):

Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

This script allows you to compare any combination of 2-10 Pentax DSLRs, side-by-side. You can also view a single camera's specs.

Comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome. At the moment, I've only finished the core of the script, so fancy stuff such as javascript triggers and pretty page titles aren't there *yet*. Enjoy (and your feedback is much appreciated)!

Current to-do list:
-add camera thumbnails
-incorporate nicer URLs
-add a link to the reviews page
-refresh page upon change of the dropdown done!
-cameras in page title done!
-clean up data consistency
-{your suggestions here}

Inaccuracies in the specs should be PMed to Ole - NOT POSTED IN THIS THREAD

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very useful, well done!

One small typing error in the K-5 specs:

Digital preview Yes (enhanced with optional image magnification)
09-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Well done. This is much appreciated.

Thanks..
09-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Thank you, this is very useful!

A few minor comments though:

- At least the K-r does have front/back focus compensation. I was shown this yesterday on Photokina because I had asked whether it can do this. Other than the K5, however, there is only one global setting, no lens-specific data can be stored. (A side note: The service rep told me that front/back focus is generally a camera and not a lens problem which they can fix in the camera. Therefore the focus correction is just meant as a quick-and-dirty workaround until it gets fixed. Can't judge that myself.)

- According to the specs (in the Photokina brochure), the K-r definitely doesn't support power zoom.

- The K-x's autofocus system is named "Safox VIII" (IIRC).

09-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Brilliant Adam!
09-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm forwarding this to Ole, as he takes case of the actual camera details.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxosaurus Quote
- At least the K-r does have front/back focus compensation. .... however, there is only one global setting
same as the k-x then.
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Hello,

A little advice: Draw the "Compare Cameras" botton on the top of the chart, so you don't have to scroll down the page when a new model is added.

Regards

09-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
same as the k-x then.
sort of, but you don't need to go into debug mode with the kr.
but that's still good considering the 60d doesn't even have 1
09-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
HDR on the K20

Possible error in data. In the K20 data it says HDR mode 'no'. In the K20 manual it says there is some HDR processing. Not certain if they are referring to the same thing?
09-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As a reminder:
QuoteQuote:
Inaccuracies in the specs should be PMed to Ole - NOT POSTED IN THIS THREAD
I'm pretty sure that's correct, as the K20D doesn't have in-camera HDR. The K-7 was the first to introduce that, followed by the K-x.

Adam

09-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I thought I read that the K-5 supports SDXC cards. You only show SDHC, 32GB.

SDXC 64GB cards are already available.

Very nice script, though. Good work.
09-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Possible error in data. In the K20 data it says HDR mode 'no'. In the K20 manual it says there is some HDR processing. Not certain if they are referring to the same thing?
Actually, the K20 is wonderful for HDR use and its something for Pentax to brag about.

K20 and K7 will do 1 click "automated exposure bracketing" of either 3 or 5 images and up to 2 ev steps per image (K7 may have larger 3 EV steps, i'm not sure). Kx is not quite as good but will do automated bracketing up to 3 images and up to 3 ev per image. K10 will do exposure bracketing as well, but its not one click.

In many ways, this automated bracketing is more important to serious HDR users, than the onboard K7, Kx, HDR processing to a jpg.
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Via a firmware update, it'll support them in the future, again, please PM all camera-related info to Ole, as he's the one who processes the data.

Adam

09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've taken care of some minor enhancements to the script, and will finish the rest of the list by the end of the day. Further technical suggestions are welcome!

Pentax K-5, Pentax K-r & Pentax K-x - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam