Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #1

EV steps K7-K10-K20 auto bracket

I want to try HDR and it would be nice to get a big auto bracket range, I cannot see how to get more than 5 exposures at 1/2 stop difference. I would like full stop, several people say it should be possible as their SLR can do it in 1 or 2 stop jumps.
One person even says K10 should do it, detail would be nice.
I just went through all the menus and the manual, cannot see how to set auto bracket interval above 1/2 stop. Is it possible?

09-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try holding down ev +/- and adjusting the front dial.
Basically, you use the same setting system to adjust ev, to adjust your bracketing exposure levels.

let me know if this makes sense
09-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I THINK (not sure) that once you're in bracketing mode, the EV compensation button determines the steps. I don't have my camera handy to check, however.
09-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks! I was making the mistake of trying to set it without selecting bracket mode first, once in bracket mode on the K7 you get a graphic telling you to use the two wheels to control number of frames and steps.

01-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mikereid Quote
thanks! I was making the mistake of trying to set it without selecting bracket mode first, once in bracket mode on the K7 you get a graphic telling you to use the two wheels to control number of frames and steps.
I was hoping you can help me I am about to buy the K7 specifically for HDR but held back because the step values listed in manual for AEB only being 1/3 and 1/2 step increments. I really want 1 to 2 full steps inbetween exposures like you suggested in this thread.

In reading your last post it was exactly what i was trying to find out can you tell me what the max value of steps you see avaialble when in bracketing mode on your K7? is it 3 or 5 exposures at 2 steps? Have you tried it at 1-2 steps if so? thanks!
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The other thing you can do to increase the range of pictures taken with different exposure values while using auto-bracketing is to purposely over and/or under expose the shot while bracketing it.

for example (if the bracketing where set at +/-1EV):

+3EV exposure compensation w/ bracketing
0EV exposure compensation w bracketing
-3EV exposure compensation w/ bracketing

That then would push the range of your exposures thru +4EV to -4EV as opposed to just the usual +1EV to -1EV.
03-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
the steps

in bracketing mode, the front wheel adjusts by 3 or 5 images
the back wheel goes from .3 to 2

if I change the steps to 1/2 stops it is .5 to 2 (so thats 2 stops difference per shot max)

sorry for slow response, all this will be same on K5 I think (will have K5 tomorrow if you want me to check)

Last edited by mikereid; 03-21-2011 at 01:06 AM.
04-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mikereid Quote
in bracketing mode, the front wheel adjusts by 3 or 5 images
the back wheel goes from .3 to 2

if I change the steps to 1/2 stops it is .5 to 2 (so thats 2 stops difference per shot max)

sorry for slow response, all this will be same on K5 I think (will have K5 tomorrow if you want me to check)

Thanks Buddy!!!! I appreciate it.