Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #1

Will this lens fit Pentax K-x

ASAHI SMC PENTAX-M 50mm 1:2 - Serial no: 4391676 will this lens fit Pentax K-x without any adapters?

Thanks

09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
yes, of course it will, a fine lens even,
camera settings on M (manual)
Custom settings to allow aperture ring..
press green button to meter and *click*
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!!

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
yes, of course it will, a fine lens even,
camera settings on M (manual)
Custom settings to allow aperture ring..
press green button to meter and *click*

Have heard that a 50MM is a must have lens for any DSLR owner, I am a newbie, starting to add to my collection.

So this will fit without any adapters? any other recommended must have lenses.

I am interested in taking pictures of Landscape, my kids (Potraits) and Macro.

Thanks again!!
09-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newyorker Quote
Have heard that a 50MM is a must have lens for any DSLR owner, I am a newbie, starting to add to my collection.

Thanks again!!
No adapter needed. But it is a full manual lens. So you will have to focus manually and set the aperture manually via the aperture ring on the lens itself (you also need to set the Kx to allow the use of an aperture ring - Custom settings #22).

As for must have lenses this will greatly depend on your shooting needs but in my opinion, just like a 50mm a 28mm is a must too. But for me the 28mm has to be AF because I use it for my street shooting and you cannot manual focus a person that is walking, or cars driving etc... and if you want a 28mm I highly suggest the F 28mm.

09-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi neighbor,

I would say go ahead and purchase this fine glass because it is affordable (around $50?), BUT if you were talking about something like expensive 50mm lens, I would alert you to AVOID buying anything until you are affirmatively positive about your 50mm requirement.

I am saying this because the 50mm reputation comes from 35mm film, and our Pentax DSLR are APS.

So what, you ask? Well, so it happens that most people buying 50mm for APS later on complain they are to "tight crop". And they are, because they are 75mm equivalent.

I for one, had purchased (3) 50mm lens with my first DSLR only to realize I needed a normal lens in APS. I sold all 50mm but the 50mm F/1.4 and I RARELY use it. Instead, I got the 35mm f/2 and in my opinion, it is the perfect normal lens for APS (I am sure 31mm would be even better, but the alternative costs a LOT!).

I am not saying some people don't like 50mm in APS, but I am affirming is very common to new guys buying the "you must have a 50mm with a SRL" and later on realizing it is not what they thought would be.

Best thing to do? Place your zoom lens (if you have it) at 50mm and try shooting photos inside your house. See how you like it. Unless you live in a castle, chances are, it will be to tight.
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

Thanks again!!
Pentax K-5/K-7/K-x are all K-mount. You can mount any K-mount lens on your camera body. Look up the lens reviews here to see the specs of the lenses.
Www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews
As a K-x user myself, I would recommend you to get a 28mm, and perhaps a faster 50mm (like f/1.4 or /1.7) for shallower DOF or bokeh in your portraits.
:-) AJ
09-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your inputs friends, this is a great forum, I think I will learn a lot here, I already have.

Thanks again.

09-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
press green button to meter
I have a k-x. How does one use the green button to meter? This does not seem to be one of the programmed options for the green button on the k-x.
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
I have a k-x. How does one use the green button to meter? This does not seem to be one of the programmed options for the green button on the k-x.
By default the green button sets the program line, it meters, in M mode. You don't actually need to use the green button on the K-x. You can use the AV+- button to meter in M mode. The green button can be used for another function. I use it for optical preview when indoors, can't see info line outside. When using optical preview you are told how many stops up or down you need to adjust the exposure.
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

See the sticky thread at the top of the beginners forum on how to use manual lenses.

I agree with the comment to consider whether this is really orth spending the money on - it's not really all that commonly useful a focal length on APS-C like it was for film.

As for will a lens fit, that's simply: if it says it's for Pentax, it fits. If it says screwmount of M42, it requires an adapter. If it's an autofocus lens, it autofocuses. If it's an autoexposure lens, it autoexposes. Pretty simple, unlike the case with most other systems.
09-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #11

i have a k-x and that exact lens i think....no adaptor needed, fits well, tho needs a slightly firmer twist than the kit lens.

it works wonderfully..takes great shots, as long as they are in focus
09-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I agree that 50mm isn't all that useful a focal length on APS. The real value of getting an M50 is a cheap introduction to fast glass and primes. Granted, a 1.2 isn't cheap, which is why a good first M50 is a 1.7. One of my early bad habits was to just pick up the camera and start spraying the shutter without checking my settings or really paying attention to what the camera was doing. A full manual prime lens makes you slow down, check your aperture, get a meter reading, compose, move around, re-meter, re-compose, then click.

It added another level of satisfaction to making pictures and has been a really good learning tool. Plus it will generate nicer bokeh than a kit lens. Totally worth $50, but I'd really hesitate to spend hundreds on a 50 1.2 without having played with a cheaper one first. I wouldn't think it would be a good fit for your stated interests of landscapes (too long), kids (manual focus), or macro (it's not a macro lens). Consider it a learning tool and not a go-to choice for your main interests, and spend accordingly.

BTW - I don't see an M50 1.2 in the lens database. Are you looking at a K50 1.2? It would just say 'smc Pentax 1:1.2 50mm'.
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ASAHI SMC PENTAX-M 50mm 1:2 - Serial no: 4391676 will this lens fit Pentax K-x without any adapters?

Thanks
Our lens database is your friend:

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clutch Quote
I agree that 50mm isn't all that useful a focal length on APS.
This is baloney. A 50mm lens is just as useful as any other lens.
09-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
This is baloney. A 50mm lens is just as useful as any other lens.
I think what folks are saying is that it doesn't fill the same role it would on a 35mm. That the field of view is basically better served by a 35mm or 31mm lens.