Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The OP said that "landscape and kids (portraits)" were priorities, and I think a 50 would be a useful performer in both scenarios.

In fact, 50-58mm would be regarded by many as an ideal portrait lens, but it should be remembered that:

a). You have to get quite close at this focal length for a tightly-framed photo.

b). Kids tend to move around a lot, and autofocus might be preferable. In fact, the kit lens (assuming you have an 18-55, newyorker!) might be a better bet, for that reason.

Having said that, a manual 50 will give you the best bang for buck of all lenses, in terms of sharpness (provided you focus accurately!).

Other interesting Pentax (and Takumar) manual lenses that are available cheaply would be the 28mm and 35mm f3.5s (for landscapes, particularly), and the 135mm f3.5s. (Note that if it's the Takumar version, you'll be getting build quality second to none, but thay are M42 SCREW MOUNT, so you'll need an adapter - preferably a genuine Pentax one.)

And a little tip: for landscape photography with a manual lens, best results will usually be obtained by stopping the lens down to f11, say, and using the distance and DOF scales on the lens barrel: just set the focus distance such that infinity is generously included in the DOF scale markings for the chosen aperture.

09-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Our lens database is your friend
Doh! I looked at the original post several times and I kept reading it as 1.2, not 1:2.

Everything I said about a cheap 50 1.7 applies to a cheap 50 2.0 as well. I kept thinking the OP was looking at a 1.2, which is an order of magnitude more expensive.
09-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
b). Kids tend to move around a lot, and autofocus might be preferable. In fact, the kit lens (assuming you have an 18-55, newyorker!) might be a better bet, for that reason.
Thanks, I tried 18-55, got some really nice pictures.
09-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
Forum Member

The 50 mm became the default standard on 35mm film because it provided similar angle of view to the human eye. Also, primarily due to high sensitivity limitations of film, camera manufacturers provided cheap, fast and high quality 50mm lenses.

But because APS-C is smaller than 35mm, you get a narrower field of view when you mount a 50mm on a K-X. On the K-X, the 50 mm will be a moderate telephoto lens. Now, it turns out that camera companies pride themselves on providing fast lenses in the moderate telephoto range because this focal length gives good perspective and framing for portraits, and self centered as we are, people like seeing pictures of themselves and other humans more than they enjoy pictures of red eared snappers.

You get the functionality of a 75mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera if you put a 50mm on your K-X. So, now, APS-C format shooters (most people with DSLRS) have access to really good portrait lenses for really cheap, that are also very handy in low light situations (concerts, indoors etc).

In short, you should get a 50 mm or you could try out a 55 mm. Pentax made a whole bunch of 55mm/f1.8s that will mount on your camera. Or you could get both. They're fairly cheap, and if you really like this range, maybe you would like to invest in the 55mm f1.4 SDM later on.

09-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
This is baloney. A 50mm lens is just as useful as any other lens.
Well, you can use any lens and find *some* picture to take in any setting, but the point is, the advice one commonly hears to get a 50mm lens comes from film cameras where 50mm was a "normal" focal length and thus arguably *more* useful than other focal lengths. That is simply not true with APS-C. It's a 35mm lens that fills that role. So if one's *reason* for wanting the 50 is that someone said it was especially useful on film, one needs to adjust for the different format size.

If, on the other hand, one's reason for wanting a 50 is to get a cheap short telephoto (as opposed to normal) lens, such as for portraits where you don't mind standing kind of close to your subject (or framing very loosely), then go for it - but I'd say that the 50/1.7's are much better than the 50/2's, for not much more money.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-26-2010 at 09:28 PM.
09-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
yes, of course it will, a fine lens even,
camera settings on M (manual)
Custom settings to allow aperture ring..
press green button to meter and *blip*, *click*
09-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
... you cannot manual focus a person that is walking, or cars driving etc... .
I think many would beg to differ.

09-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

and you cannot manual focus a person that is walking, or cars driving etc...
Oh, but you can. If the car is coming towards, or going away from, you just follow the car by slowly turning the focus ring to match the car speed so that the car remains in focus.

Or, preset your focus ahead of the car to where you know the car will be when you want to take the picture.
09-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are we talking about a f2 or f1.2 lens? The difference in cost is considerable! The f1.2 is a fine lens (I have one) but unless you REALLY need that sort of speed - and are willing to pay dearly for it - I'd suggest looking for a clean f1.7 or f1.4 "a" lens, which will be simpler to use on a DSLR. The 50mm focal length makes nice portrait lens, and the wide aperture makes selective focus easy. However, unless you use the focus confirmation signal focussing on the stock screen is not easy.
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I bought a A 50 mm F1.4 and planning to also buy the 1.7x AF TC as well as the new 35 mm F2.4.
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #26
Inactive Account

cannot manual focus a person that is walking, or cars driving
Ummm not to be mean but yeah you definitely can, I do it all the time...Its how it was done before AF, takes some patience and practice but its 100% doable on people and depending on how fast the car goes, very doable also, not that I take many car shots myself but I am always doing people shots out on the street.
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #27

Original Poster
How about this one? will it fit in K-x? Does it have a Richo pin issue?
MACRO CCT 1:28 MC 52 CPC Auto 28mm lens No. 935789

Thanks in advance.