Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #31
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccentricphotography Quote
For the price, Pentax impresses me. I've had Pentax film and digital. I sold my Canon 7d and 15-85 in favor of a Kx Modified with limited lenses. I hold the photography in higher regard than the video, but the video should be more than an afterthought if it's going to be included. I could also mention lack of tethering and hdmi live out support.DFS. As far as frame rate, I didn't see a question. Just an opinion. If one is mixing media from different cameras, it's best to have them all the same in frame rate. 24p is movie industry standard.
p.s. so far my favorite lenses have been the 77 and 35 macro.
Hi there, I have a K-x and happy with it. What is a K-x Modified?

What were added to it as compared to the standard K-x with the latest firmware?

What should I do to make mine to be same as the Modified?

Thanks

09-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Intending on seriously shooting full-length movies with a dSLR?
Sounds to me like trying to trail a caravan with a motorbike.
Get the right gear for the job - nothing is an adequate substitute for a decent video cam.
Google up Camperoo, a caravan designed to be towed by a motorbike.
09-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
Hi there, I have a K-x and happy with it. What is a K-x Modified?

What were added to it as compared to the standard K-x with the latest firmware?

What should I do to make mine to be same as the Modified?

Thanks
My "modified" Kx is an infrared conversion. The hotmirror was replaced with clear glass and no AA filter as well as having a heat reduction system installed to keep noise down on long exposures
09-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #34
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Google up Camperoo, a caravan designed to be towed by a motorbike.
Well now I've seen everything, and I take back my comments about shooting full movies on a dSLR! Roll the film.. er, I mean SD card...

09-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Video on DSLRs, at least at this point, is a gimmick.
The only reason I purchased the K-7 was for the gimmick and will buy the K-5 for the gimmick also. Keep your head in the sand.
09-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
Video on DSLR's was a gimmick until Canon changed the game with the 7D & the 5D firmware upgrade, then the 550D which brought the same possibilities to an even cheaper market. The ability to have proper control over DOF, a much wider dynamic range, interchangeable lenses and the ability to almost see in the dark has revolutionised digital videography completely, while at the same time making it available to people at a lower price point than any prosumer video camera (even if you buy a 7D with a few L-series lenses, it still works out cheaper than something like the HVX200!).

It's unfortunate that Pentax, like yourself, seem to have not realised the possibilities of DSLR video and believe it is just a gimmick.
Perhaps I should have added Pentax in my post. I agree Canon is leading this race. Pentax is treating video as a gimmick, or at least not willing to put much R&D into it.

I work with a photographer / videographer that uses 5D MkII's every day to create movies. He does a great job. His work relies on having control over every aspect of the shot (aperture, shutter speed, etc). He wouldn't be able to do what he does on a Pentax or Nikon body. Here is one of his videos:

I don't think video on DSLRs is a gimmick, that was a misstatement. I think video on Pentax DSLRs is a gimmick.
09-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #37
Banned

Perhaps I should have added Pentax in my post. I agree Canon is leading this race. Pentax is treating video as a gimmick, or at least not willing to put much R&D into it.

I work with a photographer / videographer that uses 5D MkII's every day to create movies. He does a great job. His work relies on having control over every aspect of the shot (aperture, shutter speed, etc). He wouldn't be able to do what he does on a Pentax or Nikon body. Here is one of his videos: .

I don't think video on DSLRs is a gimmick, that was a misstatement. I think video on Pentax DSLRs is a gimmick.
I use lenses from 6.5mm to 2350mm on my K-7 for HD Video , show me a link to a camcorder with APS-C sensor that has wide angle zooms. If you don't like video fine but don't think the whole planet has their head in the sand also.
09-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I use lenses from 6.5mm to 2350mm on my K-7 for HD Video , show me a link to a camcorder with APS-C sensor that has wide angle zooms. If you don't like video fine but don't think the whole planet has their head in the sand also.
Do you have an axe to grind or something? I didn't say anything about APS-C or wide angle or anything. I simply said I was wrong for making a blanket statement by saying video on SLRs is a gimmick, and qualifying my statement by saying I think Pentax feels video on SLRs is a gimmick. According to what I've read about the K-x, K-r, and K-5, they've not done much at all since the K-5 was released, while other manufacturers have added manual exposure settings, continuous AF, etc.

I don't have my "head in the sand," I'm just saying it doesn't appear to me that Pentax cares all that much.

09-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #39
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I work with a photographer / videographer that uses 5D MkII's every day to create movies. He does a great job. His work relies on having control over every aspect of the shot (aperture, shutter speed, etc). He wouldn't be able to do what he does on a Pentax or Nikon body. .
A fine video of very decent quality.
I'd like to think the K-5's capable of doing this, and I don't think it's out of the question for this to be the case.
09-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A fine video of very decent quality.
I'd like to think the K-5's capable of doing this, and I don't think it's out of the question for this to be the case.
I would think so as well; he simply says a big part of his work involves selective focus. While that's definitely possible with a K-5, it's a big help when you can manipulate the aperture.

If the K-5 thinks the correct aperture is f/11, there's not much room for selective focus at many focal lengths.
09-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #41

Issuing the blanket statement that video is a gimmick on SLR's is a little short sighted. However, I'll agree that at this point, video is a gimmick on any non-Canon SLR. Canon really pulled a visionary move with introducing 1080p movie modes with full control. Because they were the first (and pretty much only) maker to do this so far, all of the pro-level accessories are designed for Canon. Laforet's 7D rig in this video probably contains around 60k worth of kit--the Zeiss zoom is 40k alone. Incidentally, although it's made in Nikon F mount, B&H only lists the PL and EF mount versions on their site. I can't think of any reason a serious cinematographer would choose a Pentax setup over a Canon one, since all the accessories and support are for Canon products.
09-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
Issuing the blanket statement that video is a gimmick on SLR's is a little short sighted. However, I'll agree that at this point, video is a gimmick on any non-Canon SLR. Canon really pulled a visionary move with introducing 1080p movie modes with full control. Because they were the first (and pretty much only) maker to do this so far, all of the pro-level accessories are designed for Canon. Laforet's 7D rig in this video probably contains around 60k worth of kit--the Zeiss zoom is 40k alone. Incidentally, although it's made in Nikon F mount, B&H only lists the PL and EF mount versions on their site. I can't think of any reason a serious cinematographer would choose a Pentax setup over a Canon one, since all the accessories and support are for Canon products.
I do not agree here with 'Canon rules" stuff.
Right now Canon is popular in video. But most of their solutions have serious problems and are slightly outdared (as internally use same sensor sice 7D).
Second is Panasonic with GH1 and hacked GF1.
Plus new GH2 outperforms every known vDSLR.
D7000 will be also quite good performer. But not up to Panasonic level.

If you want to ask something about video rigs, etc Just go to dvxuser.com and ask me or any other guys who shoot video regularly.

P.S. And no, video is not a gimmick in vDSLRs.
09-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
Banned

A gimmick video

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vez7qSrZfpc[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL86qxCasoI[/YT]

I like having a tool to use my K mount lenses from 6.5mm to 2350mm to make videos that I can't with my Panasonic HDC-TM700 3MOS camcorder that does 1080p60 that is not available from Canon on their DSLRs or camcorders.
09-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
I do not agree here with 'Canon rules" stuff.
Right now Canon is popular in video. But most of their solutions have serious problems and are slightly outdared (as internally use same sensor sice 7D).
Second is Panasonic with GH1 and hacked GF1.
Plus new GH2 outperforms every known vDSLR.
D7000 will be also quite good performer. But not up to Panasonic level.

If you want to ask something about video rigs, etc Just go to dvxuser.com and ask me or any other guys who shoot video regularly.

P.S. And no, video is not a gimmick in vDSLRs.
Well said. I only recently have come into doing much more video. I visit dvxuser all the time in regards to the dslr forums and editing in fcp. My next purchase will be a more serious VDSLR. Either the K5 or the GH2 due to budget concerns. I've shot video with the Red, done live edit (Tricaster) with Canon XL H1, and other HD video cameras. I still will go with a DSLR for my needs.
09-26-2010, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Is it that hard to realize that we all buy/use our camera in different ways and for different reasons?????

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Seriously, are these shouts neccessary?
Personally, I would prefer K-5 completely video-free. And I do not cry. Your 'I won't touch the K5 without 24p and manual control' echoes in my mind as 'Go and buy a videocamera'....
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I still think video on an SLR, IS a gimmick. As to the frame rate, 24 vs 25, I'm still trying to figure out why I should care.
This type of response is totally unnecessary.
For example, the DFS and buffer issue do not affect me one bit - but I fully understand that they can be a major issue for some users. Should I start writing in those threads that because I don't need those features, therefore those users who do should not complain and buy another camera?

If you don't understand the need of certain features - well, you don't need it. As simple as that.
Just be aware that not everyone is like you and some users actually do need/want such a feature!!!!
Closed Thread