Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Won't touch the K5 without 24p and manual control

Makes no sense. The Kx with 24p and not the K5. I plan on using the DSLR for both movies and photography. I enjoy both and WILL be shooting real movies with whichever model I buy. Right now my Kx is more professional.

09-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Enjoy your K-x, then!
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing your decision.
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I certainly do. I think firmware will come. Maybe even a hack. Pentax limits themselves. My Kx modified IR outperforms in IQ quite a bit of "professional grade" systems out there. I just need that extra precision focus and focus speed for weddings. Still the last wedding I shot quite a few great shots (only a few missed) with the 31/1.8 and Kx IR.

09-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Thanks for sharing your decision.
JohnBee, I knew you couldn't endure without my input...
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

24 fps - I'm quite confident is under software control, and they can fix it.

Manual exposure control.........too bad, I think, it won't be in the K-5
09-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

No 24fps video? Pentax has to rectify this situation immediately.

09-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
24 fps - I'm quite confident is under software control, and they can fix it.

Manual exposure control.........too bad, I think, it won't be in the K-5
I'm sure they'll fix the 24p with enough Pentaxians calling for it, but not so sure about manual exposure. If you call it the flagship don't have the video as a gimmick...As far as what the IQ and accuracy & speed APPEAR to be doing, that's exciting. Might even be enough to persuade me even if they don't fix the Manual exposure. I'll just need to go with two systems (GH2)
09-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm quickly reaching the same conclusion.

I will likely pick up a cheap/used K-x, to have 24 fps video.

The K-5 as it stands is CLOSE ... so close. But needs 24 fps and manual video.
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As someone who has shot film (16mm) and feature length movies on video, I don't see how anyone would use this stuff for serious filmmaking until the rolling shutter is not "virtually" but "literally" eliminated. Motion is such an important part of filmmaking, and motion distortions, at least to my aesthetic mind, are as bad as any image flaw.

Sure you can shoot around it, but say goodbye to your freedom as a director and cinematographer.

Just sayin' !
09-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intending on seriously shooting full-length movies with a dSLR?
Sounds to me like trying to trail a caravan with a motorbike.
Get the right gear for the job - nothing is an adequate substitute for a decent video cam.
09-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
As someone who has shot film (16mm) and feature length movies on video, I don't see how anyone would use this stuff for serious filmmaking until the rolling shutter is not "virtually" but "literally" eliminated. Motion is such an important part of filmmaking, and motion distortions, at least to my aesthetic mind, are as bad as any image flaw.

Sure you can shoot around it, but say goodbye to your freedom as a director and cinematographer.

Just sayin' !

Yes, is your preference. I figure I can work around it like being boxed into a Haiku;-) and it appears that the global shutter may be here soon. If I had the budget for a Panasonic AG AF100 I'd go that route, but right now it's not an option. To be honest when I shoot a serious full length feature it'll be with the AF100. This next month I'll be using the Kx modified at a live concert production for my friend. He has 3 other DSLR's lined up (All Canon) along with 3 broadcast and a few other HD camcorders.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Intending on seriously shooting full-length movies with a dSLR?
Sounds to me like trying to trail a caravan with a motorbike.
Get the right gear for the job - nothing is an adequate substitute for a decent video cam.
And I'm the guy that was always being told that my mixing of different brackish/fresh and saltwater fish wouldn't work in my saltwater tank. It worked. I WILL shoot a full length movie with a modified IR DSLR as long as I have manual controls and 24p just to show its superiority in sensor size makes a huge difference and the rolling shutter is not nearly as limiting.

Last edited by eccentricphotography; 09-24-2010 at 02:33 PM.
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well all the best in your endeavours. Would you have any use for the still photography functions these cameras were designed for?
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Seriously, are these shouts neccessary?
Personally, I would prefer K-5 completely video-free. And I do not cry. Your 'I won't touch the K5 without 24p and manual control' echoes in my mind as 'Go and buy a videocamera'.

I can try to understand your frustration but Pentax decided to make a great still camera, not a great video camera. And I am happy with this decision. I hope you find peace of mind with some of the great offerings of today's camera world.

Kind Regards

David
09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well all the best in your endeavours. Would you have any use for the still photography functions these cameras were designed for?
LOL. I'm still more of the photographer than anything else, I just run with a bunch of actors. It seems the thing to do right now...eccentricphotography's Gallery needs updating, but I do have Canon 20d, 7d, Pentax k7, kx, and k20d as well as large format and medium format film and 35mm film, on there
Closed Thread