Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I'm swimming against the tide.

Improve the performance of ALL your lenses (much improved AF and high ISO) or add one more (superb) lens ?

For me a no-brainer. Camera first and then save for the 31.

09-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Bodies last about 4-6 years.

Lens last a lifetime

Unless it gets stolen.

I had this dilemma a little less than a year ago. Upgrade my K10 to a K7 or buy the FA31mm. I got the 31mm and the only thing I regret is that I didnt get it sooner (well that and it got stole this summer in japan of all places...).

the K5 will go down in price eventually, the FA31... the opposite. Plus, the FA31 you d get sooner that later. Even though the K5 will be a great upgrade (bodies are much more important than before) it is much more expensive.

Having the same problem now again since I dont have the FA31, but the K10 is getting long in the tooth and the Kx gets taken out at night mostly.

Seriously, get the ltd now, save up again and wait for the K5 to go down in price.
09-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
Inactive Account

FA31! Why? Maybe we can buy a Pentax FF next year (if we are lucky), and what does FA mean? You know it! It's not like DA. Enjoy FA right now and buy it for the future!
09-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
Forum Member

Buy an FA 31mm Limited. I end up shooting my zoom lens more often between 28 and 35 mm. Are you a big fan of the normal perspective? If yes, then hands down get the FA 31 mm Limited.

You can pick up a K-5 one year down the road for less than a grand.

Otherwise get the K-5 and also get the 35mm f2.4.

Happy Shooting.

09-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
Unless it gets stolen.

I had this dilemma a little less than a year ago. Upgrade my K10 to a K7 or buy the FA31mm. I got the 31mm and the only thing I regret is that I didnt get it sooner (well that and it got stole this summer in japan of all places...).

the K5 will go down in price eventually, the FA31... the opposite. Plus, the FA31 you d get sooner that later. Even though the K5 will be a great upgrade (bodies are much more important than before) it is much more expensive.

Having the same problem now again since I dont have the FA31, but the K10 is getting long in the tooth and the Kx gets taken out at night mostly.

Seriously, get the ltd now, save up again and wait for the K5 to go down in price.

how it got stolen?
09-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems the General consensus is to get the FA 31mm. I was leaning that way but the K5 is just so tempting. I do agree with the crowd that the 31mm would be an investment, the prices just keep going up and at soon Pentax will EOL them which will no doubt cause the price to rise on the used market.

I agree that the body's will always be there and will always be increasing in performance while maintaining a general price point. As for my current body, the K200 still blows me away from time to time, there are just a few things that I wish it had. I guess the compromises I made when I didn't know any better have started impact me now that I do.

As for the FL, I am a huge user of the "Normal" range. Most of my shots fall right into the 30mm range give or take. I also do a lot of photography indoors and the F50 1.7 gets a lot of use but tends to be a bit long.

Finally, I rented a FA 31mm a month or two ago for a vacation and that really is what got me moving away from say the Sigma 30 1.4 a fine lens I am sure but after holding the Limited and shooting with it, I decided then and there that it was my next purchase.

So thanks for all of your input, it looks like the majority of you (whose judgment I trust greatly) agree the the glass is the way to go.

So anyone have a 31mm Limited they want to sell?
09-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
It seems the General consensus is to get the FA 31mm. I was leaning that way but the K5 is just so tempting. I do agree with the crowd that the 31mm would be an investment, the prices just keep going up and at soon Pentax will EOL them which will no doubt cause the price to rise on the used market.

I agree that the body's will always be there and will always be increasing in performance while maintaining a general price point. As for my current body, the K200 still blows me away from time to time, there are just a few things that I wish it had. I guess the compromises I made when I didn't know any better have started impact me now that I do.

As for the FL, I am a huge user of the "Normal" range. Most of my shots fall right into the 30mm range give or take. I also do a lot of photography indoors and the F50 1.7 gets a lot of use but tends to be a bit long.

Finally, I rented a FA 31mm a month or two ago for a vacation and that really is what got me moving away from say the Sigma 30 1.4 a fine lens I am sure but after holding the Limited and shooting with it, I decided then and there that it was my next purchase.

So thanks for all of your input, it looks like the majority of you (whose judgment I trust greatly) agree the the glass is the way to go.

There IS, No substitute. The K5 price will likely drop at least a couple hundred $$ after the first couple or few months. Personally, I can wait.

09-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
how it got stolen?
I was in Osaka. A friend of mine convinced me after a whole day of visiting to go to the pub, than go clubbing with some people we met there.

The way I was setup was a lowepro primus with 2 attached lens pouch for easy access on the belt. there wasnt enough room in the locker for the backpack plus lens (in the lens pouch) so I put it in my friends locker...

Result - 31mm and working 16-50mm (may the SDM suffer) and nalgene bottle gone from locker as well as my friends japan guide not to mention the japanese guy s briefcase with all his work stuff in it...

Three weeks into my 3.5months pacific tour.

09-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
... Unless it has SDM.
not if you buy 2x

but LBA first OP
09-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Not on your life, mate! But good choice.
You can always get the K-5 later for a reduced price... (not so the 31 ltd).
09-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
I was in Osaka. A friend of mine convinced me after a whole day of visiting to go to the pub, than go clubbing with some people we met there.

The way I was setup was a lowepro primus with 2 attached lens pouch for easy access on the belt. there wasnt enough room in the locker for the backpack plus lens (in the lens pouch) so I put it in my friends locker...

Result - 31mm and working 16-50mm (may the SDM suffer) and nalgene bottle gone from locker as well as my friends japan guide not to mention the japanese guy s briefcase with all his work stuff in it...

Three weeks into my 3.5months pacific tour.
oh my, that's just terrible.

long gone are the days where you can leave your money on a counter and expecting it to be there a day after. I guess times have changed. I'm just thinking of a safe way or place where I could put our stuff when we go visit Japan.
09-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

K-x or K-7 + used FA31

Some day you have to update you camera and the K-x as well as K-7 are getting pretty cheap.
09-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
K-x or K-7 + used FA31

Some day you have to update you camera and the K-x as well as K-7 are getting pretty cheap.
First, even a used 31 ltd runs $800-900. Second the K-x would be at best a side-grade but to me would be a downgrade, no top LCD, no shutter remote port, no focus point led's plus numerous other features missing present on the k200...
09-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Really good to read this thread... I get caught up in the must upgrade cycle and yet I have a perfectly competent K200D which I really like. I was unable to like the Kx as much (lack of many of the features on K200 like the top LCD) and ended up selling it.

A body upgrade in future, but an FA31 now seems like a grand idea to me
09-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

So oddly this is a real dilemma for me. I really would like to have all the features of the K5 (I have a k200) but have been putting money away for the 31mm. Not that I am looking for you all to make my decisions but I would like some of your thought on the subject.
31mm. In a year the K-5 will have a successor. The 31mm will retain it's value... the product has not changed in over 10 years!

Also, in 10 years time, you will easily be able to recoup 70-80% of what you paid for the 31mm if you decided to sell it in good shape. In comparison, the k-5 will not even work, if you use it enough.