Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In-camera vs. in-lens shake reduction (power usage)

There is one aspect of the in-lens vs. in-camera SR debate that concerns me: power requirements.

It seems to me that rapidly moving ANY mass requires battery power. The larger the mass and/or the greater the distance it must be moved, the greater the power requirement.

Without a LOT more technical information, it would seem to me that the impact on battery life should be least when moving a lightweight sensor rather than shifting a probably more massive lens element(s). And as a guess, I suspect that the distance a lens element must be moved for SR is likely to be greater than the distance a sensor must move to accomplish the same thing.

I ran across this link on the "advantages" of Nikon's in-camera VR: Vibration Reduction from Nikon

Of course, as that Nikon publication points out, the VR algorithm in a Nikon lens can be optimized for that specific lens. To accomplish the same in a Pentax requires that the camera software have database data for every Pentax lens out there, a method to update the database, and some default values for all other lenses.

I have not seen this possibility discussed anywhere, but it is food for thought.

Tim

09-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/115170-body-sha...hake+reduction

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: