Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

Detail at low ISO - K-7 vs K-5

What do you think? If the high ISO was the priority in K-5, there won't
be any detail/resolution improvement at low ISO? 14MP vs 16MP
makes no difference in resolution, all will depend on the software I guess.
I would hate to loose detail just because some people are so paranoid about ISO 5 million.

09-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You are going from a 14mp sensor to a 16mp sensor. There will be a slight increase in resolution providing your lens is able to carry the day.
Unfortunately, if you are using a lens that doesn't perform, you might see an apparent loss of resolution because the lens is turning the potential extra detail of the sensor to mush.
09-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Don't forget DR and color depth.
09-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Don't forget DR and color depth.
You mean 14-bit? That's good, but how do you know DR is better?

09-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The reviews will just confirm what we already know. The K-5 uses the Sony A55 sensor which has been thoroughly reviewed. Like previous Sony sensors, it has class-leading dynamic range. So long as Pentax doesn't make the sensor worse than it is, it has already beaten out the K-7 in every aspect.
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
I'm going on the assumption that the K-7 had lower DR than it's predecessor and was then trumped by an entry level camera no less than months later. I'm also going on the evidence gleaned from the K-7/K-5 high ISO test shots, where the shadow and midtone curves are substantially better on the K-5 than the K-7.
09-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #7

in interview with warehouse express at photokina - pentax rep clearly stated that the k-5 is using a sony exmor sensor

09-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm going on the assumption that the K-7 had lower DR than it's predecessor and was then trumped by an entry level camera no less than months later. I'm also going on the evidence gleaned from the K-7/K-5 high ISO test shots, where the shadow and midtone curves are substantially better on the K-5 than the K-7.
You do realize that it would be very difficult to put out a subsequent camera with poorer sensor performance no matter what price? Sensors are still improving with every new one that is released.
For the K-x to have had worse high ISO noise, the noise would pretty much have to have been deliberate to make the sensor look worse than it is.