Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

So far I'm not impressed.

Well, so far I'm not impressed with CRIS. I called yesterday to check on the status of my camera. The woman told me to hold a minute while she checks. She comes back with the camera had a lot of debris in it, and was cleaned out. Now this is simply a lie. The camera when not in use is stored in a water tight metal Haliburton case, the lenses are only switched out every so often, and then only indoors. Never had an issue with one dust spot. The body is immaculate with no dust on the exterior at all. So tell me how this camera could have a lot of debris in it. I called Pentax, and they told me they aren't finished repairing it yet. I told Pentax if they send this camera back with the same issue's I will not pay for shipping back to CRIS. I don't care for the fact that they won't let you speak to anyone at CRIS. At this point if they return my K7, and the issues still exists, I'm selling the entire kit, and moving on to Nikon. When will these companies learn, and stop making all these jeopardizing cuts. At this point I'm very upset with Pentax. I like their cameras always have since the Spotmatic, but I will move on if this is what they call a fix, especially after spending over $50.00 to send it in!

09-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my Pentax gear, but the reports I hear, much like yours are mostly on the negative side. Fortunately I have had few problems, but I sure can't blame you for your irritation.

If their cameras fit my needs, I would go with the finest of camera service...Olympus. My past dealings with them have been delightful, and they have live people you can talk with and that understand your concerns. Pentax needs to step up to the plate on service, but I doubt they will....they are apparently still unaware of any SDM problems.......or unwilling to address them, which is more likely.
Best Regards
09-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax gear, thumbsup drool wink.
Pentax service, wow hypnotised doh yawn

Sad reality worldwide.
Hope you don't give up on Pentax just on account of lacklustre post-sale customer care.
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

at least the people that run their marketing dept. don't run their service dept... if you thought that things can't get worse.. they can. :P

09-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pentax gear, :thumbsup: :drool: :wink:.
Pentax service, :wow: :hypnotised: :doh: :yawn:

Sad reality worldwide.
Hope you don't give up on Pentax just on account of lacklustre post-sale customer care.
Not really worldwide. I had several great experiences with our service in Czech republic. When I dropped a lens accidentaly, or wanted to allign AF of my camera with lenses they were always helpful and many fellow pentaxians from Prague will probably testify the same.
09-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Much of the complaining in this forum about many things (marketing, customer service) is from people on the US.

Looks like Pentax JP hands everything over to Pentax USA, and those are not really giving a damn about nothing. Or Japan is not keeping an eye on their representation overseas as close as they should.
09-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Much of the complaining in this forum about many things (marketing, customer service) is from people on the US.

Looks like Pentax JP hands everything over to Pentax USA, and those are not really giving a damn about nothing, or Japan is not following up their representation overseas how they should.
No. We just like to bitch. Odds are the receptionist had the information about the wrong camera. A receptionist who's most sophisticated camera ever is the one in her cell phone. If anyone has done a shit piss poor job on customer service, it's all the outsourcing that has been done From here, not To here. Just once, I'd like to call customer service and speak to someone whose First language, is English and who's address ends with a 5 digit zip code that doesn't contain any letters (Located in the USA).

09-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pentax gear, :thumbsup: :drool: :wink:.
Pentax service, :wow: :hypnotised: :doh: :yawn:

Sad reality worldwide.
I find your comment quite strange, because my experience with CR Kennedy in Melbourne is extremely good.

09-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

... me thinks the difference is obvious, pentax makes wonderful entry level and prosumer dslrs... canon and nikon offer the same, but also offer professional models employed by professionals whose livelihoods are solely dependent upon the expeditious repair and return of their equipment....
pentax knows this is not the case for their product line... hence, they ain't gonna spend serious bucks investing in this facet of the business, it's not cost effective.... perhaps this makes them uncaring, unsympathetic, and cold as far as their consumers are concerned... but this is how it is and it is not going to change..... it's indeed a pisser, but it is an immutable fact.
to pentax, it's deja vu all over again.... anyone remember the phrase, 'planned obsolescence'..
a policy of deliberately planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete or nonfunctional after a certain period.
09-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Forum Member

Ive dealt with CR Kennedy a couple of times and found them brilliant, in one case I had bought a faulty battery (yep, beat that) and the camera wouldn't power up, sent it in to have it looked at they replaced the batteries no charge and freighted it back to me. In another case I bought a new/old stock MZ60 from JB, as non working for about $50, I rang thier service dept who assured me if I bought it new and had receipts that I should register it and it would be fixed under warranty which it was very promptly and freighted back again.

Geoff
09-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These new reports concerning Pentax service are very worrisome. I've grown more afraid my camera would break... Still, I wonder whether Nikon or Canon has much better customer care/
09-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What the lady was telling me was simply a lie. That camera was mint. No way it had a lot of debris in it as she claimed. I'm sure she was probably just pacifying me for the moment, but that is a €£•*%# of doing it. Made me loose whatever confidence i had in a third party repair facility. I love Pentax products, and have been with them since my first Spotmatic, but I'm no fan boy, and when a company can't be honest with me I'll look elsewhere. When are these companies going to realize that service still means something to people?

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-24-2010 at 08:51 PM.
09-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
nah

Photos: Gallery
I've had a bad experience with Pentax Canada myself. Needed to send my camera back 3 times to get the problems resolved.

Initial problem: Squeaky rear e-dial, camera isn't put back together properly, soft spot by LCD screen.
Send 2nd time: for problems, comes back with sticky shutter release and soft spot is still there.
Send 3rd time: finally all problems are solved.

Luckily the shop I purchased this from sends the unit back on their dime.