Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
My use for USER mode - a quick way to expose to the right:

1) Set green button to TV shift (constant aperture, variable shutter).
2) Set manual mode.
3) Set ev comptensation to +3.
4) Set ISO dynamic range to 200%, ISO 200.

Save these settings in user mode.

I don't often use dynamic range expansion, but in high-constrast situations, I use the above configuration to capture the most highlight / scene detail. THIS MUST BE DONE WITH RAW AND POST PROCESSING.

1) Put the camera into spot metering and USER mode.
2) Point the camera at the brightest area of the scene.
3) Push the green button.
4) Recompose/focus and shoot.

The histogram for this image will not clip, and will retain the most information possible for high contrast scenes. Post processing will be necessary for darker objects to look bright enough, but this is the only way to emulate HDR imagery without taking multiple pictures.

Since this configuration is not helpful a lot of the time, I like to keep my camera with Dynamic Range Expansion off (for ISO 100), and switch into USER mode when I'm shooting towards the sun etc.
For anyone that doesn't understand why you would do this, there is a really good write up of what is going on here by Dale Cotton at Pentax K20D tips & tricks for RAW shooters Daystar. The ETTR stuff is about half way down the page, plus there are a few other good tricks on that page for the K20D.

09-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Some neat tips here. I'm going to have to try Paperbag's ETTR trick.

I hope these same tricks will work on the K-5...
09-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #33

ev comp and flash

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I believe the EV for flash simply adjusts the flash output without the camera knowing or caring, thus applying additional light to the scene. If you use the EV on the camera, I guess the camera could adjust aperture or sensitivity depending on what mode your in, which might not do anything if the flash is the only light illuminating the scene.
Yep, the flash compensation (accessed through the fn menu, flash settings) will increase and decrease just the flash output without changing the picture's exposure. You would use it for example to lower the flash output if you just wanted a touch of light for fill flash.

The camera ev setting will adjust shift the entire exposure EXCEPT when in manual mode. Then the ev compensation will adjust the flash output upward and downward. I find it easiest to shoot (when I use flash) in manual mode to get control over both aperture and shutter and then use ev compensation on the camera to get the correct level of flash to make the shot.
09-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The one thing I was surprised at was how difficult it was to get equal to the in-camera JPEG engine when processing RAW. With my K100D-Super, I could easily spot the benefit in both color and resolution, with the K20D this was nowhere near obvious.

It is only now, after a year and a half with this beasty, that I am getting the hang of it. I finally purchased a colorchecker card and used to to create an ICC profile. Only now I am getting pinks and purples that are, ahem, pink and purple when doing RAW.

Combining the K20D with a capable lens such as the DA*50-135mm (and probably the limiteds too, although I do not own them) eventually produces an image file that is stunning. (if you don't mess up the exposure as I frequently do...).

It is quite simply put, the best camera I've ever held - bar none - whether it be mine or somebody else's and I am nowhere near getting to the end of its possibilities.

If I were to sum up the K20D it would be one word: "customizable" - everything can be tweaked to your preferences. There are still surprising tidbits to be discovered at this, and other, forums every single day leading to "hey, cool! I didn't know it could do that!" moments.

09-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #35
Inactive Account

The thing I find most useful (with respect to customizing), on all of the flagships including the K20d, is the ability to assign ISO to the front dial in Av and Tv. I was so use to it on the K20d that I forget the K7 has a dedicated ISO button.

09-27-2010, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, if you want much better AF control...disable AF on half-press of the shutter button and move it to the AF button only. It's a great way to use spot focus and recompose.

Also, under the Customization Menu look at the various e-dial options. I have mine set so the dials act as consistently as possible...so the front dial behaves the same as often as possible for each mode setting and the same for the read e-dial...these are menu item numbers 20-26.

The custom settings for almost every function on the CUSTOM SETTINGS menu is superb and better than what I found great on my Canon 40D...

But try out using the AF button with the half-press AF function disabled, it's great. Also there is another great advantage is you can focus, recompose (or not) AND spin-up the SR by half-pressing the shutter button w/o affecting the focus you want...this makes getting action shots a lot easier if you keep the SR active and your thumb ready and resting on the AF button...
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
But try out using the AF button with the half-press AF function disabled, it's great. Also there is another great advantage is you can focus, recompose (or not) AND spin-up the SR by half-pressing the shutter button w/o affecting the focus you want...this makes getting action shots a lot easier if you keep the SR active and your thumb ready and resting on the AF button...
Incredible tip, thank you!

09-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

oh, cool!!! ya made my day knowing I actually had something worth while!! hahahaha...
09-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #39
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is my favorite way to focus, but doesn't work well in portrait mode. My only real complaint about the K20D is that there is no AF button on the battery grip.

When I shoot sports (soccer), I have tried to set up the AF button to cancel AF. So I keep my finger on the shutter with AF-C. When I have a focus on the player I want (assuming he/she is at a relatively constant distance), I hold AF button so that I don't lose focus with a player running in front (or the line judge!) or my player running out of the AF zone.
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

For lenses without Quickshift you can also press the lens release button to disable AF.
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
This is my favorite way to focus, but doesn't work well in portrait mode. My only real complaint about the K20D is that there is no AF button on the battery grip.

When I shoot sports (soccer), I have tried to set up the AF button to cancel AF. So I keep my finger on the shutter with AF-C. When I have a focus on the player I want (assuming he/she is at a relatively constant distance), I hold AF button so that I don't lose focus with a player running in front (or the line judge!) or my player running out of the AF zone.
yeah, depending on your hand size and/or flexibility of your fingers, portrait orientation is a true challenge on the K20D...I don't have a grip. I had ordered a grip but cancelled it way back to give myself time to decide and adjust to the smaller body (compared to my 40D)...then I learned the grip did not have an AF button and decided to completely skip it...I mean it takes a few seconds to swap batteries in the wild, when I was still an outside person that is...but I would swear I ran across a 3rd party grip that did have an AF button...wish I saved the link or name...
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
For lenses without Quickshift you can also press the lens release button to disable AF.
hey, never thought of trying that!
09-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Recently, PentaxForum user darky_mtp posted a way to disable DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction) on the K20d Here

I've been testing it with long exposures and star trails with success. Props+rep to darky_mtp!
09-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #44
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah, depending on your hand size and/or flexibility of your fingers, portrait orientation is a true challenge on the K20D...I don't have a grip. I had ordered a grip but cancelled it way back to give myself time to decide and adjust to the smaller body (compared to my 40D)...then I learned the grip did not have an AF button and decided to completely skip it...I mean it takes a few seconds to swap batteries in the wild, when I was still an outside person that is...but I would swear I ran across a 3rd party grip that did have an AF button...wish I saved the link or name...
If you find that link, let me know.

I don't think I could do without the grip. I use it all the time except when I really need to travel light. It's also a great place to store an extra card and the remote.
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #45
Banned

Bump...great camera...just trying to get 10 posts in as a newbie.