Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Still Learning The K20D

I've owned the K20D for a couple of years, read through the manual numerous times, like a monk with a Bible, shot it almost every day, experimented with the many options, bells and wistles, but I'm still learning neat things it will do. I'm still amazed they can put such a sophisticated, computerized bundle of possibilities into such a small package.
For instance, I just figured out a couple of days ago that when you use it on remote or delay, it automatically disables SR. Since I so often forget to turn SR off when using it on a tripod, then often forget to turn it back on when I take it off, this, to me, is another of many neat features. (If that was explained in the manual, I missed it or glossed over it.)
Now, many of you may have known that already, but maybe you can share some neat features you've discovered as well.

09-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is something that took me over a year and a half to discover also. I also would constantly forget to turn SR off and if I did remember, I would forget to turn it back on when I was done. So since I discovered that, I no longer use my cable release at all. Just turn on 2-second self timer and fire away. Of course, now I forget to turn off the 2 second delay, so my first shot next time pick it up is always missed.

It really is a nice camera. Another feature that it took me awhile to pick up on was that if you work in P mode, you can manually change the aperture and the camera will adjust the shutter speed just like Av mode. Then if you adjust the shutter speed, it will adjust the aperture like your in Tv mode. I used to be constantly switching back between the two modes. Now I leave it in P almost all the time and I can take control or just let the camera do its thing depending on the shot.
09-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I found out about the front and rear dial adjustments in P mode one day by accident. Neat thing about this as well, is that when you turn the camera off, then back on again, it cancels the adjusted AV or TV setting and reverts back to the standard P exposure.
Another thing some might not know, is the K20D has an in-camera HDR feature. Only works on JPEGs, so if you shoot RAW only, as I do, first you have to convert it to a JPEG in camera, then use the HDR filter on it. All the info on how to do this is in the manual.
09-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Another thing some might not know, is the K20D has an in-camera HDR feature. Only works on JPEGs, so if you shoot RAW only, as I do, first you have to convert it to a JPEG in camera, then use the HDR filter on it. All the info on how to do this is in the manual.
I heard this earlier(very interesting!)
Do you know if/how it handles alignment?

09-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've owned my K20D for 6 months (bought from forums) and still have alot to learn about the difference from a K200D. (manual? who has time to read that?) lol.

Last edited by chalion; 09-24-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling error corrections.......or is it keyboard error?
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I heard this earlier(very interesting!)
Do you know if/how it handles alignment?
Its not a multi-shot HDR. Ever taken a RAW shot and extracted 2 JPGs, one exposed for highlights, one for shadows, then combine the 2. No alignment needed.
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Its not a multi-shot HDR. Ever taken a RAW shot and extracted 2 JPGs, one exposed for highlights, one for shadows, then combine the 2. No alignment needed.
Aaaah IC
Makes lots of sense now.
Thanks!

09-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Two things I use:

1) Use the custom feature of allocating wheel functions consistently. i.e I always use the front wheel for changing speed.

2) For inspecting pics on the viewer, I use the custom feature of jumping straight to a magnified version and then the green button and +/- button for zooming in and out. Turning the wheel got to be a hassle, this makes it much easier.
09-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
2) For inspecting pics on the viewer, I use the custom feature of jumping straight to a magnified version and then the green button and +/- button for zooming in and out.
Whoah! I learned something new today. I think I like this.
09-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disappearing image in playback

Since we're talking about the K20D, I'd like to ask others that own it if they experience this problem.

I have the rear e-dial set to zoom into 8x both after a shot and in playback mode because I think that is a good magnification to make sure I got good focus. Sometimes though, and quite often, when I zoom in to a shot, and then use the four-way controller to move around the image, the image will suddenly disappear from the LCD and the camera will return to record mode. I'm not accidentally hitting the OK button, because OK would just remove the zoom, but the camera would stay in review mode.
09-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Turning the wheel got to be a hassle, this makes it much easier.
Not to mention the added wear and tear also.
09-25-2010, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Since we're talking about the K20D, I'd like to ask others that own it if they experience this problem.

I have the rear e-dial set to zoom into 8x both after a shot and in playback mode because I think that is a good magnification to make sure I got good focus. Sometimes though, and quite often, when I zoom in to a shot, and then use the four-way controller to move around the image, the image will suddenly disappear from the LCD and the camera will return to record mode. I'm not accidentally hitting the OK button, because OK would just remove the zoom, but the camera would stay in review mode.
Did you maybe hit the shutter? I often have this happen when I bump one of the shutters (using the battery grip).
09-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Did you maybe hit the shutter? I often have this happen when I bump one of the shutters (using the battery grip).
That's exactly what happens in my case also at least once a day. Then I reposition my hand so its no where near either shutter button and the problem is solved until the next day.
09-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Yes, I found out about the front and rear dial adjustments in P mode one day by accident. Neat thing about this as well, is that when you turn the camera off, then back on again, it cancels the adjusted AV or TV setting and reverts back to the standard P exposure.
Or you can just push the green button to go back.
09-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Forum Member

Wow, what a helpful little thread! I've had my K20D for a year, have pretty much gotten up to speed with most controls, read the manual several times, read on the forum all the time, and still learned new stuff today.

I finally get P mode, and didn't realize the difference with SR between the cable remote and the wireless remote.

Thanks everyone!