Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Does K-5 do more than 5 AEB?

Can't seem to find out from Pentax if the K-5 will do more than 5 Auto Exposure Bracketed shots, as the K-7 will? There is no manual to download, and company "details" simply say "yes" to AEB. In the new age of HDR this would be a plus. Anyone have an actual K-5 yet? Can you see if it will set 7 frames? Thanks...

09-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"If the K-7 can do it, so can the K-5".

Nobody will have a production K-5 until mid-late October. PentaxForums will be among the first to get one, as soon as they start shipping.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveB Quote
Can't seem to find out from Pentax if the K-5 will do more than 5 Auto Exposure Bracketed shots, as the K-7 will? There is no manual to download, and company "details" simply say "yes" to AEB. In the new age of HDR this would be a plus. Anyone have an actual K-5 yet? Can you see if it will set 7 frames? Thanks...
Dave,
The K20 and the K7 will both do an automated once click exposure bracketing of up to 5 exposures, with up to 2 EV between exposures. Thats a total of 8 EV more than the DR of the camera, which is quite a lot. I'm not sure, but i think some Nikons will allow more than 5 bracketed exposures but they limit the steps to 1 EV (i think - may be wrong) I did help a D300 fellow club member set up his HDR exposure bracketing and it seemed to be a lot more hidden in the menu than it is for Pentax. Pentax has a button for bracketing that just takes moment to set up 3 or 5 and what the steps are going to be. I have used Pentaxes arrangement many times for HDR and i think its brilliantly simple and fast. If you wish to do more than 5 frames, its possible to do two sets of exposures, separated by 1, 2 or 3 EV steps apart using AV.

I assume that K5 will have an arrangement no worse than its predecessors.

best wishes,

Last edited by philbaum; 09-24-2010 at 11:51 PM.
01-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Dave,
The K20 and the K7 will both do an automated once click exposure bracketing of up to 5 exposures, with up to 2 EV between exposures. Thats a total of 8 EV more than the DR of the camera, which is quite a lot. I'm not sure, but i think some Nikons will allow more than 5 bracketed exposures but they limit the steps to 1 EV (i think - may be wrong) I did help a D300 fellow club member set up his HDR exposure bracketing and it seemed to be a lot more hidden in the menu than it is for Pentax. Pentax has a button for bracketing that just takes moment to set up 3 or 5 and what the steps are going to be. I have used Pentaxes arrangement many times for HDR and i think its brilliantly simple and fast. If you wish to do more than 5 frames, its possible to do two sets of exposures, separated by 1, 2 or 3 EV steps apart using AV.

I assume that K5 will have an arrangement no worse than its predecessors.

best wishes,
I am interested in the K-5 for landscape HDR photography seems like there is some confusion on what the total EV range is with AEB. I spoke to customer service at Pentax USA and they said +- 2EV was the max range. Has anyone used it at the +-4 stated here and in other forums.

Thanks for any information

Robert

01-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Maximum EV deflection is 2EV between shots.
As an example, on can do -4EV, -2EV, 0EV, +2EV, +4EV for a total deflection of 8EV.
You can also combine that with EV compensation to do 2 or more bracketed sets, setting the exposure compensation to -4 or -5 EV, doing a bracketed set, then setting it to +4 or 5 EV and doing another bracketed set.
Throw away the duplicate exposures and you can manage a very long range exposure bracket of some 16 EV (in theory, in practice, perhaps not).
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Maximum EV deflection is 2EV between shots.
As an example, on can do -4EV, -2EV, 0EV, +2EV, +4EV for a total deflection of 8EV.
You can also combine that with EV compensation to do 2 or more bracketed sets, setting the exposure compensation to -4 or -5 EV, doing a bracketed set, then setting it to +4 or 5 EV and doing another bracketed set.
Throw away the duplicate exposures and you can manage a very long range exposure bracket of some 16 EV (in theory, in practice, perhaps not).
Thanks for the info. The more I learn about the K-5 the more it looks like the camera for my purpose. I come from the Oly E3 which is a great weather sealed body and oly lenses but is lacking in the DR and noise area and the 10MP is a little dated.