Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Liveview did not become useful until the K7...on the K20D it's, well, abysmal under the best of situations. It has that added at the last minute feel to it...no ability to adjust settings in LV or no ability to view settings plus the 2.7" display is just too slow on it's screen refresh rate (very noticeable under fluorescent lighting) and the magnified view is very much the "queasy cam" effect when you try and MF on the image.

I came from a lowly Canon 40D and it's LV was a pleasure to use...but I read the K7 is much improved so the K5 will hopefully be even better as shown in that video...that is GREAT us and behavior of a good LV function...seriously different from the kludge of LV on the K20D. But I knew that issue when I bought my K20D, only it was far worse than I expected...

09-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I stumbled on this thread and: thank you all. I never used live view, but I must say, it is really nice! Helps indeed with manual lenses. It's easier now with my super tak 24mm. Thanks a lot, it feels funny though, a bit wobbly, but pictures turn out sharp. (Didn't use a tripod). Can see it will be very useful with stealth shots with my k7 and leveller. Oh, I am happy, thanks again.
09-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
It turns out that Contrast AF actually focuses a whole lot faster when "zoomed-in" to the focus area, compared when trying to focus with the whole frame on display.

I've figured this out after watching that Korean K-5 liveview autofocus video.

So just move the little focus square on the desired part to be focused, then press the "info" button to magnify that area, then half-press the shutter to autofocus.

this actually makes the camera autofocus pretty quick and accurately.

Now i've been using LiveView a lot! It's also very useful for my Manual lenses (I have a whole bunch of them). I can manual focus in LiveView better than through the ViewFinder

The only problem is, it kills the Enerloops quick
Hmmm ... I fail to find which camera you are using.
Must be me .. !

JP
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Did I said anyone is prohibited to use LV if it's not in a studio?

I'm just pointing that most people use it for tripod / studio work, which is one particular situation where you don't want to have you face against the camera at all times to use the VF. There are other situations where you can't use the VF, and your lovely frog shot is one of those.

Just pointing that most of the time you don't wanna be using the LV for it's shortcomings: slow AF, the LCD is blind under low or bright light and battery drain. No need to call me nonsensical.
Generalizations don't work too well with Pentaxians. Hang around here for awhile and you'll see that. I use LV quite often and my tripod comes out of the case 2 or 3 times a year.

RolloR, yes, it works quite nicely. I didn't even know we could move the focal point around the screen like that. It Might be more useful with a tripod when you want to focus using rule of thirds or something like that (instead of center AF recompose), but it's nice to know the feature exists. Thanks for pointing it out.

09-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Generalizations don't work too well with Pentaxians. Hang around here for awhile and you'll see that. I use LV quite often and my tripod comes out of the case 2 or 3 times a year.

RolloR, yes, it works quite nicely. I didn't even know we could move the focal point around the screen like that. It Might be more useful with a tripod when you want to focus using rule of thirds or something like that (instead of center AF recompose), but it's nice to know the feature exists. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jeff,

I couldn't help but wonder how you make that focal point around the screen (K7).
Do you mean moving the AF "square" (point) while in LV, right away without having to press the "Info" button first?

I know that once you're in LV and that you press the Info button, it magnifies the image and then you're able to move the AF point around.

JP

EDIT: Never mind, I found out how to do it!

Last edited by jpzk; 09-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.
09-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
Inactive Account

What I do, or did to test it out, was move the AF square to the point I want to focus on with the 4 way. Press the AF button, it focuses, beeps, and I can take the photo. I did verify that it actually works that way by setting the camera to f2 (with an FA35) and picking points that would otherwise be out of focus with Center AF. It's a neat feature to play with if you have timeto set up the shot, I still find center-recompose a lot quicker, even in LV.

I didn't quite catch what makes the K5 any different with this feature, maybe that it's just faster.

09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hmmm ... I fail to find which camera you are using.
Must be me .. !

JP
K-x
09-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #23

Original Poster
Here's the new LiveView "habit" that i'm starting to develop haha:

1. Frame/Compose the scene
2. Press "Ok" to activate the square focus box
3. Move the square focus box using the 4-way buttons to the desired focus area
4. Press "Info" to magnify into the focus box
5. Half-shutter to auto-focus

From the K-5 Contrat AF video that I saw somewhere here, "step 4" is eliminated, because half-pressing the shutter will automatically magnify the focus box. Which I find very nice.

09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Maybe that's the difference (step 4). Seems though that it would have to know That is the spot you want to zoom. Perhaps if it sits for a second, it just zooms. The K7 does not zoom back out like I remember the K5 showing in the video. With all the 'stuff' going on recently, I've lost track of the video.. Can someone point it out? All I remember was the title, Can your K7 do this?

You can skip your step 2 by the way. Just move your box and press the AF button or the half shutter release. Try it, you'll like it.

Edit: Could it be that the K5 actually Finds Objects within the frame? THAT would be a slick implementation of this.

Edit again: after thinking about if for a minute, if the cycling through the screen does anything, it just goes to where the grid lines intersect. Object recognition is probably too much to hope for in a consumer camera. It would still be slick though..

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-27-2010 at 07:54 PM.
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #25

Original Poster
Maybe that's the difference (step 4). Seems though that it would have to know That is the spot you want to zoom. Perhaps if it sits for a second, it just zooms. The K7 does not zoom back out like I remember the K5 showing in the video. With all the 'stuff' going on recently, I've lost track of the video.. Can someone point it out? All I remember was the title, Can your K7 do this?

You can skip your step 2 by the way. Just move your box and press the AF button or the half shutter release. Try it, you'll like it.

Edit: Could it be that the K5 actually Finds Objects within the frame? THAT would be a slick implementation of this.

Edit again: after thinking about if for a minute, if the cycling through the screen does anything, it just goes to where the grid lines intersect. Object recognition is probably too much to hope for in a consumer camera. It would still be slick though..

Thanks for the tip, will try that out!

Have you seen the Lumix GH2 touch-screen feature? You can actually touch the desired focus area on the LCD and the camera will try to focus to it. Sounds good! But then again, it's a mirror-less camera
09-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I discovered LV comes in really handy for tripod shots, table top tripods that is…. when I need to have it resting on the ground. Getting my eye down to the view finder when it is only 3 inches off the ground was difficult, make slightly easier by using live view. I was taking night time shots so my technique was to pre-focus in AF mode while standing, then flip it into MF mode and LV, then put the camera & tripod on the ground. I could crouch down and stand back a bit to then check the framing on the back LCD, and adjust the tripod angle and shoot away.

Before you point out the obvious, yes I do have a “proper” tripod, but this was a family holiday which meant I went very light and compact; so it was ltd primes and a table top tripod. I think a K-x + DA21 + mini tripod must be one of the most compact yet decent quality kits for night photography available, it certainly looked a bit funny as I was standing amongst others with full sized dSLRS, zooms and tall tripods.
09-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
Thanks for the tip, will try that out!

Have you seen the Lumix GH2 touch-screen feature? You can actually touch the desired focus area on the LCD and the camera will try to focus to it. Sounds good! But then again, it's a mirror-less camera
I'm afraid if my camera had a touch screen I would have to turn it off. Otherwise, my nose or my face cheek (had to distinguish that) would be focusing the camera. I know a lot of people like them but to me, the only thing a touch screen does is generate a dirty screen.

09-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I'm afraid if my camera had a touch screen I would have to turn it off. Otherwise, my nose or my face cheek (had to distinguish that) would be focusing the camera. I know a lot of people like them but to me, the only thing a touch screen does is generate a dirty screen.

Ha, Ha!
I am in your camp!
Got the same thing happening to me .... dirty, dirty, smudged rear screen! Imagine with the added "convenience" of a Touch Screen!

Maybe my nose got bigger with time ... one of the drawbacks of getting older!?

JP