Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
i've actually learned how to use LiveView + contrast AF "properly"...

It turns out that Contrast AF actually focuses a whole lot faster when "zoomed-in" to the focus area, compared when trying to focus with the whole frame on display.

I've figured this out after watching that Korean K-5 liveview autofocus video.

So just move the little focus square on the desired part to be focused, then press the "info" button to magnify that area, then half-press the shutter to autofocus.

this actually makes the camera autofocus pretty quick and accurately.

Now i've been using LiveView a lot! It's also very useful for my Manual lenses (I have a whole bunch of them). I can manual focus in LiveView better than through the ViewFinder

The only problem is, it kills the Enerloops quick

09-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
It turns out that Contrast AF actually focuses a whole lot faster when "zoomed-in" to the focus area, compared when trying to focus with the whole frame on display.

I've figured this out after watching that Korean K-5 liveview autofocus video.

So just move the little focus square on the desired part to be focused, then press the "info" button to magnify that area, then half-press the shutter to autofocus.

this actually makes the camera autofocus pretty quick and accurately.

Now i've been using LiveView a lot! It's also very useful for my Manual lenses (I have a whole bunch of them). I can manual focus in LiveView better than through the ViewFinder

The only problem is, it kills the Enerloops quick
Live View is intended to be used for tripod / studio work, where AF speed is not a concern. That's also so you can use an AC adapter directly, instead of running on battery.

As being able to manual focus better in the LV, it can work for you, some would disagree as the LCD is nowhere near the resolution and contrast of the "real world". But I guess it depends if you have myopia or something
09-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Live View is intended to be used for tripod / studio work, where AF speed is not a concern. That's also so you can use an AC adapter directly, instead of running on battery.

As being able to manual focus better in the LV, it can work for you, some would disagree as the LCD is nowhere near the resolution and contrast of the "real world". But I guess it depends if you have myopia or something
Wow i may have myopia then.

Because for me the 2.7" LCD seems to be bigger than the viewfinder, and the image from the LCD screen in LiveView seems to be a whole lot similar to the final output compared to what I see in the ViewFinder?
09-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow i may have myopia then.

Because for me the 2.7" LCD seems to be bigger than the viewfinder, and the image from the LCD screen in LiveView seems to be a whole lot similar to the final output compared to what I see in the ViewFinder?
While the LCD area *is* bigger than the VF, it's resolution isn't. Also have to consider the LV is blind under low or bright light. So your mileage may vary.

If your reference of how the output looks like is the back LCD, it's a poor one, IMHO. That's why you have a histogram.

Like I said, most people use LV in studio, where the variables are all under control: time, lightning, power supply...

09-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Live View is intended to be used for tripod / studio work, where AF speed is not a concern. That's also so you can use an AC adapter directly, instead of running on battery....
Sorry but what you've stated is absolute nonsense.
One can use Live View anywhere, only limited by your imagination and creativity. The shot of the frog was taken with Live View with no tripod, outdoors and handheld.
If it was not for LV, I would be all wet in the pond. I suggest you open you mind to the possibilities of what you can actually do with LV.

09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

Totally agree. LV lets me shoot hand held as low as 1/5s with expectations for the occasional completely non-blurry shot even at 100% magnification, and it lets me use the dSLR like a compact camera with macro subjects, except with much better IQ.

With LV i can also shoot in stealth mode in crowded places, just like with a compact camera.
09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sorry but what you've stated is absolute nonsense.
One can use Live View anywhere, only limited by your imagination and creativity. The shot of the frog was taken with Live View with no tripod, outdoors and handheld.
If it was not for LV, I would be all wet in the pond. I suggest you open you mind to the possibilities of what you can actually do with LV.
Did I said anyone is prohibited to use LV if it's not in a studio?

I'm just pointing that most people use it for tripod / studio work, which is one particular situation where you don't want to have you face against the camera at all times to use the VF. There are other situations where you can't use the VF, and your lovely frog shot is one of those.

Just pointing that most of the time you don't wanna be using the LV for it's shortcomings: slow AF, the LCD is blind under low or bright light and battery drain. No need to call me nonsensical.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 09-26-2010 at 01:25 AM.
09-25-2010, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

yes. this doesn't even imply that you should only use it in the studios. the frog shot is nice but the proving, unnecessary.
09-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
If your reference of how the output looks like is the back LCD, it's a poor one, IMHO. That's why you have a histogram.
ooh yes, histogram, the handy little tool.

Too bad it doesn't show in real-time in the ViewFinder

Have you even tried using LiveView?
09-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

ooh yes, histogram, the handy little tool.

Too bad it doesn't show in real-time in the ViewFinder

Have you even tried using LiveView?
I was referring to using the LCD as a reference on the final output. I find it hard to see, specially under sunlight. In those cases, one uses the histogram in playback mode to help deciding if it came out correctly exposed.

I'm ending my thread participation here though. I had my share of upset answers for no particular reason. Why this aggressiveness?
09-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

it is not intended to be used for tripod only, the implementation is so bad that it may restrict it to tripod only for some people.

Try any sony cam with liveview you will change your views about liveview.
09-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view manual focusing is a charm. I use it many times and gives me very accurate focus. Batteries don't really like it tho.
09-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it would be much more productive for discussing the whole subject if the personal comments and remarks against others are avoided.
If there is any more remarks lacking tolerance of others opinions then the whole thread will be closed.
Please keep your remarks pertinent to the subject at hand and not aimed at others.
Most of the posts are subjective and very well put, but there are one or two exceptions.

Bramela (Mod Team)
09-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If it was not for LV, I would be all wet in the pond...
Fantastic shot!
09-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
With LV i can also shoot in stealth mode in crowded places, just like with a compact camera.
Hot tip of the day! With that in mind I'll risk trying a little or street photography.