Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@wlachan - I've cleaned the PCB and the contacts with contact cleaner and a cotton bud twice, and I've also bent the spring pins ever so slightly to make better contact. I've also tightened the screws as tight as I can, bearing in mind they are metal screws going in to a plastic hole, so I don't want to overtighten them.

@JeffJS - for the three times I've stripped it, including disconnecting the PDB 'plug' twice it is exactly the same - no manual mode unless you press down, but you don't have to press any harder or less hard. I'm coming to the conclusion it's the encoder too, but I can't see any damage to it. I did drop the camera on the dial one - perhaps that started some damage?

The PCB part is 12 from the UK Pentax importers, but replacing it is beyond my capabilities I think - it unplugs at one end, but is soldered at the other (under the flash) an I don't do soldering. I think I'll order the part and then ask my much more skilled brother to take a look.

The mode dial is an encoder if that is the term - there is a plastic pillar with a spring it at 12'oclock. On top of this is a tiny ball bearing (which I almost lost) and on the underside of the dial there are little holes for it. I guess the advantage of that set up is reliability (in theory), ease of weatherproofing and that you can turn the dial through 360 degrees.

Thanks for your help so far guys.

10-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the dial stops are similar to the Aperture stops on our manual aperture lenses. They work exactly the same way.

You would probably need a microscope to see the actual wear on the encoder. Good luck with the repair.

10-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
... at this point I'd say the encoder (the pc trace part you've removed from the dial) needs to be replaced or the contact on the mode dial. It's probably all one assembly.
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You would probably need a microscope to see the actual wear on the encoder. Good luck with the repair.
I've contacted Johnsons (UK Importer) to get the parts. You can actually order pretty much any individual part, which is pretty impressive these days. This is the diagram they sent me to tell them which parts I wanted.

You can view a larger version here.

I've not got a price for all three parts I need yet, but parts 313 and 139 are 11.69 for both, including delivery and taxes, which seems very reasonable to me.
10-14-2010, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you already have the camera stripped down, it certainly can't hurt to try it.

10-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've put it back together for now - only really use manual with my non dedicated flash at the moment so it's perfectly usable for most of what I use it for.

I need to ring Johnsons to order the parts and then wait for them to arrive, which could be a while. I'll update when I get them.

Thanks for all your help.
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've still not got around to ordering the parts - you have to ring through and pay over the phone and I haven't had chance. However, I've found a workaround, if anyone has the same issue - can't believe I didn't think of it before. Wait for it ...

Use USER mode. I just put it in manual by pressing down on the dial, with every other setting as normal, and defined that as USER mode. Works a treat. All you need to remember is that anything you change will be reset whenever you turn the camera off, or it powers down - so in my case it means it keeps reverting to 100 ISO, which was a little bit annoying today, but once I'd worked out what was happening it was fine.

Will fix it properly at some point.
10-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update - for reference if anyone else has the same or similar problem.

Even if you can't select M mode by pressing down on the dial, you can still get USER mode to be manual - just set the mode dial to USER, then press the Menu button. The 'Record' menu is then the 'User' menu, in which you can select the exposure mode - so you can get Manual even if the dial has packed up totally.